MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Compsci 1ba3: Intr-computing-bus revenant Academics 1 10-08-2010 06:54 PM
Any1 Know The Book For Compsci 1ba3? phantasyyy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 09-22-2010 04:30 PM
Horrible Download Speeds RememberTwce Computers & Tech 51 09-20-2010 10:58 PM

Java Download - CompSci 1MD3

Old 09-10-2009 at 11:55 AM   #1
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Java Download - CompSci 1MD3
Im trying to figure out where to get the java program i need for my Comp Sci class? I want to get started on my assignment but I dont have the program.
Anyone know where to get it?
Thankyou!!
Old 09-10-2009 at 12:28 PM   #2
tlherr

Liked: 0 Times

I also have this course and have never worked in this language.
Always used C++ in high school. I believe you need to download the JDK (Java Development Kit) which is available from Sun Microsystems free of charge.
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp#jdk

Java SE Development Kit (JDK) is what you are looking for I believe.

I have just finished installing this and I am starting the first assignment, hope all the above information is correct. If not please feel free to correct me.

Melanieee says thanks to tlherr for this post.
Old 09-10-2009 at 03:07 PM   #3
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

ok maybe this is a dumb question but i just downloaded what u told me too... but theres no button to open it.. theres not even a folder in my start menu to open the application. im so lost.. why didnt the prof give us a link :(

help :(

EDIT: I accidentally downloaded an Update instead of the program, so that would explain why i cant run it. but which one of the 'bundles' should i download??

Last edited by Melanieee : 09-10-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-10-2009 at 03:28 PM   #4
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

i recommend a program like textpad http://www.textpad.com/

It makes it easy to quickly compile and run programs without having to go through the command prompt.

1MD3 was a fun course.
Old 09-10-2009 at 03:36 PM   #5
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
i recommend a program like textpad http://www.textpad.com/

It makes it easy to quickly compile and run programs without having to go through the command prompt.

1MD3 was a fun course.
wait what? i can use this instead of java?
Old 09-10-2009 at 07:17 PM   #6
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

no you need java. But you can use textpad to write the program and start the java compiler. Without out it you have to write the program in notepad or something, open up comannd prompt type in some commands to get the filename.class file. Then you type another command to run the program. With textpad you write your program and then just click a button on the keyboard to compile it/run it instead of typing those commands.
Old 09-10-2009 at 07:23 PM   #7
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

ok thanks. but do u know where i can get the right version of java? stil cant get the right one
Old 09-10-2009 at 07:48 PM   #8
viky

Try this...

http://www.javavideotutes.co m/index/lessons/

the best one so far I used to learn..
Old 09-20-2009 at 07:38 PM   #9
tlherr

Under the website for my course (1md3) there is a "Help" section.
http://www.cas.mcmaster.ca/~cs1md3/help/help.html

Here it has links to everything you need and also a very complete walkthrough.
I actually just got this working fully. The thing that I had trouble with was Vista Environmental Variables. Basically you have to tell windows where to look for java and the complier.

I had to change javac.exe to run into Compatability mode for the command prompt to be able to access it. It was a small glitch but still frustrating.

The Correct version of Java you need is listed on the help website along with the ACM file and a hello world example.

Enjoy