MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jobs, Jobs, Jobs aviaf MacInsiders Announcements 10 08-08-2010 06:21 PM
why aren't there any jobs out there? macbaby07 Volunteering Opportunities 46 05-16-2010 06:19 PM
jobs at The Tank cbrasch Volunteering Opportunities 1 05-09-2010 03:19 PM
Campus Jobs Chad Volunteering Opportunities 0 03-31-2010 09:50 PM
UTS Student Jobs Chad Volunteering Opportunities 2 01-29-2009 02:37 PM

Jobs at mac ?

Old 07-12-2008 at 10:00 PM   #1
WavesSea

Liked: 0 Times

Jobs at mac ?
Hi i was wondering if its possible to get a job at mac ? and study and work , cause that tutition isn't gonna pay its self and i want to help my parents by paying for my rent atleast
Old 07-13-2008 at 09:30 AM   #2
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

yeah, a ton of on campus jobs will be available sometime in August. however, keep in mind that you also need to do well in school so don't work full-time. I would recommend working less than 20 hours a week. You could work at a bar, or restaurant off campus. Tips = amazing! On an average night you'll make about 150 in tips which definitely helps pay for those textbooks and your meals! But remember if you work too much in order to pay off tuition, rent, books and all those other necessities your grades suffer which lowers your gpa which lowers your self-esteem which will make it harder to get a job in the future.

knight_ryder, WavesSea all say thanks to ferreinm for this post.
Old 07-13-2008 at 10:23 AM   #3
WavesSea

Liked: 0 Times

alright thanks for the advice i probably shouldn't get a job first year
Old 07-13-2008 at 11:32 AM   #4
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

hey, i would also suggest looking on Oscar, mac's online student job website, for the workstudy program at mcmaster under "search". the jobs on there are like working for different offices for the facutly, lab works, and a majority of them are part-time for only 10 hours a week, which is a good balance of everything.

Here's more information about work study stuff from the financial site.

pinkshuniza says thanks to Eva C for this post.
Old 07-14-2008 at 11:00 AM   #5
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

10 hours? That sounds pretty good actually.
However, I'm scared that it'll affect my grades.
Old 07-14-2008 at 02:03 PM   #6
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Like Eva said students who work at are part timers (with the exception of the summer students) and Mac can only give them 10 hours a week so you don't have to worry about doing less than 20 because they simply won't let you work that much.

I'm a summer student with Security Services but I will continue to be working with them during the year. Even though my position is that of a coordinator I still can only work 10 hours during the year. It's really a good system to have in place because it makes sure that they give you enough time to get your work done, what you do with your time is your own business but at least it's not all taken up by shifts.

If you're an OSAP student you automatically qualify for what is called McWork which is to help students who have financial problems get jobs so they can support themselves. Unfortunately, there are many students who don't have OSAP and still really need a job. Even if you're not on OSAP you can still apply but you have to go through a financial review proccess and be approved for McWork whereas if you qualify for OSAP you automatically get McWork.

Old 07-14-2008 at 02:07 PM   #7
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
10 hours? That sounds pretty good actually.
However, I'm scared that it'll affect my grades.
What I would suggest for you is to become a Liaison Office Student Tour Guide. You can sign up for this as a first year in your SECOND SEMESTER (after you've gotten to know Mac a bit more) and the hours are really flexible because you set them. You choose what time you would like to do a tour and how many you want to do a week. You have to do at least 3 a month which is a really easy number to reach in a month. You get about 9.00 an hour and each tour is between an hour and an hour and a half. The only problem I ever had was when tours would show up late I sometimes ended up being late for my next class. Think about it and check it out, it's a good way to ease your way into balancing work and school at the same time.

sky_xox says thanks to kokosas for this post.
Old 07-14-2008 at 04:19 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Another neglected resource is the MSU! http://www.msu.mcmaster.ca/mirror/jobsvol.php

Currently the positions they have available are mostly un-paid as they do a lot of their hiring in the spring. However, if you are interested in working for an MSU service you can always talk to the manager and see if they are hiring in August.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

sky_xox says thanks to lorend for this post.