macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times

why aren't there any jobs out there?
stupid recession, just saying.
Old 05-04-2010 at 02:29 PM   #2
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

no kidding... I was putting resumes out there like crazy... applied for tens on tens of jobs in the past 3 weeks...
FINALLY got one making some decent money for the summer... reception
but it took forever
and even the job I got... in one day they received 200 resumes for it... insane
Old 05-04-2010 at 02:31 PM   #3
macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbs View Post
no kidding... I was putting resumes out there like crazy... applied for tens on tens of jobs in the past 3 weeks...
FINALLY got one making some decent money for the summer... reception
but it took forever
and even the job I got... in one day they received 200 resumes for it... insane

where's the job?
any way you can hook a sister up? lmao
Old 05-04-2010 at 02:48 PM   #4
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

I post all of the jobs on OSCAR (McMaster's job database). There are jobs being posted every day and some have a limited time span so you'd need to check everyday. I assure you though there are still jobs available and it's definitely not too late to find something.

danallan says thanks to ferreinm for this post.

danallan likes this.
Old 05-04-2010 at 02:58 PM   #5
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

The problem I have with OSCAR is that there are usually like 200 jobs for over 25,000 students.
Don't get me wrong, OSCAR is a useful tool and I've managed to get a few jobs out of it. But sometimes I feel like it is really, REALLY promoted and made out to be something more amazing than it is.
Old 05-04-2010 at 04:27 PM   #6
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

i got an interview with wonderland in a few days lol, anyone know what working with them is like?
Old 05-04-2010 at 04:28 PM   #7
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I'm sorry, but OSCAR blows. I could be biased and maybe it's that my own qualifications aren't adequate, but I've never even gotten a call back and I started applying for jobs on March 1st. Same thing last year. Everyone who I know, who don't go here are like, "Why don't you just get a job at your school?" So not that easy.

I don't know anyone who's had much luck with OSCAR either, and they've had more experience than me. :/

What I can suggest for all of you who are in the same boat, there are Employment Hamilton centres located at Jackson Square & 67 Victoria St South, where there are summer jobs specifically for students that you can apply for. Print out a bunch of resumes, go down there and fill out some forms. They will forward your resume and applications to the employer.

What I'm planning on doing now is going to places like Limeridge and personally giving resumes to managers, that seems to work better in some cases.
Old 05-04-2010 at 07:56 PM   #8
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbaby07 View Post
where's the job?
any way you can hook a sister up? lmao
it's with Canadian Leak Detection in St Catharines (I live in Grimsby) and unfortunately there was only one summer position open.
Old 05-04-2010 at 10:06 PM   #9
Vic.And

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I'm sorry, but OSCAR blows. I could be biased and maybe it's that my own qualifications aren't adequate, but I've never even gotten a call back and I started applying for jobs on March 1st. Same thing last year. Everyone who I know, who don't go here are like, "Why don't you just get a job at your school?" So not that easy.

I don't know anyone who's had much luck with OSCAR either, and they've had more experience than me. :/

What I can suggest for all of you who are in the same boat, there are Employment Hamilton centres located at Jackson Square & 67 Victoria St South, where there are summer jobs specifically for students that you can apply for. Print out a bunch of resumes, go down there and fill out some forms. They will forward your resume and applications to the employer.

What I'm planning on doing now is going to places like Limeridge and personally giving resumes to managers, that seems to work better in some cases.
you're not alone either... that's a pretty adequate description of the experience I've had too

Maegs likes this.
Old 05-04-2010 at 10:10 PM   #10
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

although i do agree its harder to find jobs now than in previous years, there still is a fair amount of jobs out there, just maybe not the job you were hoping for
Old 05-05-2010 at 12:52 AM   #11
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
i got an interview with wonderland in a few days lol, anyone know what working with them is like?
Two of my friends used to work at wonderland and really hated the hours and the job in general, one actually ended up quitting. Don't let that put you down though - they're from Markham, quite far from Wonderland, so the commute was hell and that was a major part of the reason it sucked so much. Also, I think the pay was relatively low at the time - however now that minimum wage has gone up that makes things slightly better.

Personally, I think it'd be a great job! Good Luck!!!

ShouldBeStudying says thanks to SciMania for this post.
Old 05-05-2010 at 02:00 AM   #12
Laydee Death

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
I never worked there personally, but I also know a couple of people who have worked there. My friend said the managers/supervisors there were really unfair or something, I dunno, he worked at the midway games lol. The pay is decent (min. wage) and if it's not a hassle to commute to Wonderland, then I guess it's good! My friend ended up quitting 2 months into it, couldn't deal with the supervisors anymore. =/

ShouldBeStudying says thanks to Laydee Death for this post.
Old 05-05-2010 at 09:16 AM   #13
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Working at Wonderland sounds exciting! Though I heard that they don't really have too many 'perks'. If they would let the staff go the rides for free during breaks or something that would be awesome. Let us know how it goes!!!

Those looking for jobs... check out the recent post on the MI homepage for MSU jobs! Also, OSCAR is worth a look on a regular basis, jobs come and go quickly as Nicole mentioned. Also check out TalentEgg http://talentegg.ca/browse.php
Old 05-05-2010 at 09:32 AM   #14
naakamura

Liked: 2 Times

Wonderland isn't bad. A lot of my friends work there. They basically get a free season's pass.

I'm also struggling to find somewhere to work and have stumbled on a couple of helpful websites.

My favourite right now is YoungCanadaWorks. They have jobs all over the country, mostly for bilingual positions or positions in cultural related areas (museums, art galleries, stuff like that).

A lot of them specifically request history majors, anthropology majors, or people going into library or archiving, so I didn't really qualify for a lot. But it's definitely worth checking out.
Old 05-05-2010 at 09:43 AM   #15
mcmaster12

Liked: 6 Times

wonderland is actually great! i have a lot of friends working there, i actually worked there last year except i was in finance&admin. If you are only seeking games/foods dept position, the work isnt bad. It really trains you well on how to deal with customers and many employers in retail after knowing that you've been at wonderland will immediate hire you - reason being that you've been under great stress and know how to deal with intense situations.

Last edited by mcmaster12 : 05-05-2010 at 09:45 AM.