MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fantasy Basketball (yahoo) Sky. General Discussion 6 10-16-2009 08:53 AM
Yahoo Fantasy Hockey Sky. General Discussion 5 09-30-2009 09:32 AM
Fireworks: Beautiful but Deadly? jhan523 General Discussion 22 07-03-2009 01:25 AM
The Beautiful People kokosemara General Discussion 9 02-01-2009 12:55 PM
Les Prince Yahoo! Fantasy Hockey League MohitB Les Prince Forum 1 09-06-2008 11:07 PM

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Old 11-30-2010 at 02:38 AM   #46
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
all i gotta say is enjoy "all of the Lights" inow while you can before it becomes mainstream and every goddamn radio station is playing it over and over and over again.....ps. can anyone name one frickin rihanna song that this mainstream effect didn't happen to cuz i cant.
Good thing i don't listen to the radio anymore. I still can't turn on any popular station without hearing that terrible "I Got A Feelin" song by the B.E.P's.
Old 12-06-2010 at 09:56 AM   #47
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
dont know em :p
I should say, I don't either. I was going to put Taylor Swift...nice little role-reversal, perfect timing since she just had an album released as well.
Old 12-06-2010
Commander
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 12-07-2010 at 04:53 PM   #48
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
Purely on lyrics, find some of Drake's and find some of kanye's, if you're not taking the rest of the music into context (which usually makes kanye's stuff sound better) Drake is doing more interesting things lyrically.

Also are you trying to say College Dropout kanye, or Graduation kanye were on Jay's level?

Lol
LMAO Drake's lyricism? C'mon on now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aggcFFjTLM

Tailsnake likes this.
Old 12-07-2010 at 04:57 PM   #49
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
XD
I almost fell out of my chair laughing at that
Old 12-07-2010 at 05:01 PM   #50
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Old 12-07-2010 at 08:17 PM   #51
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Quote:
I still think Recovery was album of the year.... while he's not on the level of Drake, J. Cole, or Eminem but he's gotten to the point where he can hang with people like Jay-Z and not seem out of his league.
Hold on, what the ****?

1. Recovery sucks. Eminem is losing his touch; the emo rap thing is getting old. Bring back Slim Shady, Recovery is the most overrated mainstream hip-hop album I can think of.

2. He's not on the level of Drake and J. Cole?? I can see an argument for Eminem but this is ****ing Kanye West we're talking about here!! How the hell can you place Drake and J. Cole ahead of Kanye West?!

3. And then you rank Jay-Z lower than Drake and J. Cole too... you have got to figure out what rap is, man. Go listen to some Rihanna and Justin Bieber.

EDIT: I've gone back and realized other people have posted similar things, but that statement was so incomprehensibly short-sighted and ridiculous that it needed to be commented on again.

Last edited by bcars : 12-07-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-07-2010 at 08:24 PM   #52
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcars View Post
Hold on, what the ****?

1. Recovery sucks. Eminem is losing his touch; the emo rap thing is getting old. Bring back Slim Shady, Recovery is the most overrated mainstream hip-hop album I can think of.

2. He's not on the level of Drake and J. Cole?? I can see an argument for Eminem but this is ****ing Kanye West we're talking about here!! How the hell can you place Drake and J. Cole ahead of Kanye West?!

3. And then you rank Jay-Z lower than Drake and J. Cole too... you have got to figure out what rap is, man. Go listen to some Rihanna and Justin Bieber.

EDIT: I've gone back and realized other people have posted similar things, but that statement was so incomprehensibly short-sighted and ridiculous that it needed to be commented on again.
Basically my thoughts.
Old 12-07-2010 at 08:36 PM   #53
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Friday Night Lights >>>>

J. Cole is unreal
Old 12-07-2010 at 08:55 PM   #54
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

I was gonna ignore this, but w/e, I'll bite

Quote:
The Marshal Mathers LP was Eminem at his best and he hasn't touched that since, but you'd have to be deaf to say Recovery wasn't a good album

Quote:
I see you can't separate production and lyricism.

Kanye is the best producer in the game, and he has been for almost a decade now (Dre, Timbaland, Swizz Beats, 9th Wonder, etc are nowhere near as good). Kanye being an amazing producer does not instantly translate into being an amazing lyricist. Kanye's music sounds great because he couples solid lyricism with great production and well chosen feature artists, but just because his music sounds better on the radio doesn't mean the lyrics are stronger when you break them down. Drake and J. Cole are better lyricists than Kanye West, even though Kanye makes better music than either of them.

Quote:
3. And then you rank Jay-Z lower than Drake and J. Cole too... you have got to figure out what rap is, man. Go listen to some Rihanna and Justin Bieber..
Jay-Z has never really been known for his lyricism (at least not since Reasonable Doubt and The Life and Times Series), he says it himself "If skills sold / Truth be told / I'd probably be / Lyricly / Talib Kweli / Truthfully I wanna rhyme like Common Sense / (But i did five Mil) / I ain't been rhymin like Common since" (Jay-Z, Moment of Clarity). Jay-Z has been a rather commercial rapper for at least the last decade and Drake/J. Cole have put out some tracks that are stronger than anything on Jay-Z's last three albums.

When you've stopped listening to what other people say about rap and actually start trying to analyze music yourself maybe we can have a conversation, but until then your assumptions are just going make you look ignorant.

Good Day.
Old 12-08-2010 at 12:22 AM   #55
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Quote:
The Marshal Mathers LP was Eminem at his best and he hasn't touched that since, but you'd have to be deaf to say Recovery wasn't a good album
I'm not deaf, but that's a good argument if you're a ten year old. There's nothing original about Recovery except that Eminem has decided to go soft and collaborate with the pop industry.

Quote:
I see you can't separate production and lyricism... Drake and J. Cole are better lyricists than Kanye West, even though Kanye makes better music than either of them.
Actually, I can. Best I Ever Had makes me cringe. But you'll note I never said Drake was a bad songwriter, I just think the notion that Drake is a better lyricist than Kanye deserves an argument if not total ignorance of your supposed lyrical expertise.

Quote:
When you've stopped listening to what other people say about rap and actually start trying to analyze music yourself maybe we can have a conversation, but until then your assumptions are just going make you look ignorant.
Good job. End a completely senseless argument with trolling. It's a fairly typical sign of someone subconsciously accepting that they ran out of arguments. I spend a lot of my time analyzing music, and I just can't see how you think Drake and J.Cole are better lyricists than Kanye. Just cannot. Provide examples to back up your arguments, or at least what you think makes a good/bad songwriter instead of barging into this topic with troll arms a-swingin'.
Old 12-08-2010 at 01:30 AM   #56
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

So I'm assuming you're done with the argument that ranking current Jay-Z below Drake and J Cole is some sort of hip-hop blasphemy, I'll ignore your baiting and get to your other arguments

Quote:
There's nothing original about Recovery except that Eminem has decided to go soft and collaborate with the pop industry. lyricists than Kanye. Just cannot. Provide examples to back up your arguments, or at least what you think makes a good/bad songwriter instead of barging into this topic with troll arms a-swingin'.
I'm not going to get into an argument about Recovery (mainly because I don't wanna mine the lyrics of the album right now).

Simply, Recovery is generally considered a good album, not just by the mass market that'll buy anything catchy that has a pop-hook but by both the critics and the dedicated hip-hop community. Maybe the album wasn't exactly your cup of tea, but saying it sucks outright makes you look like you're just trolling. I personally don't like Teflon Don or Distant Relatives, yet I can still admit that they probably good albums, even if not exactly my flavor. I do this because I'd look like an idiot if I went into a room of dedicated hip-hop fans and started talking about how bad I think those albums are, because they're not bad albums. Rocovey may be too "pop" for your liking, but it doesn't "suck".

Quote:
Actually, I can. Best I Ever Had makes me cringe. But you'll note I never said Drake was a bad songwriter, I just think the notion that Drake is a better lyricist than Kanye deserves an argument if not total ignorance of your supposed lyrical expertise.
Comparing Kanye's best lyrical outing with one of Drake's weaker songs isn't exactly fair. Drake is a bit hit and miss lyrically (His overuse of the Supa Dupa flow is painful, and his verse in In The Morning was horrid), J Cole is far more consistent lyrically.

Kanye was pretty impressive lyrically in this album, especially in Gorgeous and Power. I personally think those were two of his best songs ever lyrically (I'm hoping we can at least agree on this point). Compare those songs to Quote Me and Royal Flush by J Cole or J Cole's verses on Looking For Trouble and Beutiful Bliss. I also think The Calm, 9 AM in Dallas, and Thrill is Gone (Though this might just be because this song is a throwback to 90's Outkast style storytelling rap) by Drake are all better lyrically (tighter verses and more interesting wordplay) than those 2 songs by kanye (actually I might have to give the edge to Gorgeous over some of these songs, but I still haven't sat down and really analyzed the meaning of all the lyrics of gorgeous).

If you still wanna think Kanye is better, there's nothing more that I can really argue, but listen to the lyrics Kanye spits on something off College Drop out or Late registration and even you should see that they can't compare to any of the 6 songs I posted above. If you wanna argue that Kanye is better than these kids, he's only gotten so recently (and the way Looking for Trouble is structured would suggest that Kanye knows to stay out of J Cole's way in songs).