MacInsiders Logo
Old 03-11-2010 at 11:45 PM   #436
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

I think it's more a function of the idea of religion than the actual chalking itself.

I guarantee you that there wouldn't have been as much attention if it was say... something to do with a Redsuit tryout. We would've chuckled at it for a day or two, and then let it be save for some "Remember that time when?" discussions.
Old 03-12-2010
wienerjc
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-12-2010
wienerjc
Old 03-12-2010
wienerjc
Old 03-12-2010 at 09:12 AM   #437

Liked: 31 Times

This whole Know God Personally? question is rediculous to begin with. IF there is a God, due to the way the religion has structured him as an intangible being, you cannot know him personally. Find me a christian who can tell me God's favourite brand of pasta sauce, or whether her prefers the Beatles or the Stones? What personal things can you comment on about God? If however, the question is indicating that you should know God in your own personal way, then the campaign is detrimental to its own end goal since any interaction with someone regarding your ideas of God could potentially sway them away from the image they would have constructed if it was done completely on their own. What I mean by this is, if you had never seen a picture of Jesus with a beard, maybe you might assume he looked very different, but after being bombarded with pictures of a guy who looks suprisingly like Rick Wright from Pink Floyd, its hard to get that out of your head and make up a personal representation that is untainted. As far as I can tell the only way a Christian could get to know God personally would be to die. I don't think we want to suggest that though.

Old 03-12-2010 at 12:10 PM   #438
thatdudeukno

I'm pretty sure Jesus is black.
Old 03-12-2010 at 12:28 PM   #439
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19841984 View Post
This whole Know God Personally? question is rediculous to begin with. IF there is a God, due to the way the religion has structured him as an intangible being, you cannot know him personally. Find me a christian who can tell me God's favourite brand of pasta sauce, or whether her prefers the Beatles or the Stones? What personal things can you comment on about God? If however, the question is indicating that you should know God in your own personal way, then the campaign is detrimental to its own end goal since any interaction with someone regarding your ideas of God could potentially sway them away from the image they would have constructed if it was done completely on their own. What I mean by this is, if you had never seen a picture of Jesus with a beard, maybe you might assume he looked very different, but after being bombarded with pictures of a guy who looks suprisingly like Rick Wright from Pink Floyd, its hard to get that out of your head and make up a personal representation that is untainted. As far as I can tell the only way a Christian could get to know God personally would be to die. I don't think we want to suggest that though.
I don't agree with all your points but it was just such a funny post.
Old 03-12-2010 at 12:36 PM   #440
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
I think it's more a function of the idea of religion than the actual chalking itself.

I guarantee you that there wouldn't have been as much attention if it was say... something to do with a Redsuit tryout. We would've chuckled at it for a day or two, and then let it be save for some "Remember that time when?" discussions.
I don't think so. I was unimpressed with the amount of chalking before I knew what KGP was. I don't care what the event is - actually, I still don't know what it is. I assume "Know God Personally" is pro-God/religious event, but maybe it could be the opposite? I don't know. I don't care. The chalking is too much and I would feel that way no matter what the event was.
Old 03-12-2010 at 01:16 PM   #441
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post

I'm all for freedom to express religious ideas, the problem with this campaign was that the chalking was everywhere. Had C4C chalked more strategically (e.g. in front of each major buildings, once) - I don't think there would be as much backlash. But it was all over benches, which made it difficult for people to sit without getting chalk on themselves.
Old 03-12-2010 at 01:27 PM   #442
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

A part of me is thinking there is no "EVENT" being promoted by KGP...maybe it was just meant to get people to start thinking and exploring their thoughts on religion...if so, it sure has worked
Old 03-12-2010 at 01:33 PM   #443
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Scrub, I think there is an event tonight.
Old 03-12-2010 at 02:10 PM   #444
syan9184

Liked: 25 Times

Now that the rain will wash away the chalkings, why don't we just end this thread?
Old 03-12-2010 at 03:00 PM   #445
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by syan9184 View Post
Now that the rain will wash away the chalkings, why don't we just end this thread?
indeed, God has decided there will be no chalking
Old 03-12-2010 at 04:36 PM   #446
Theophilus

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
A part of me is thinking there is no "EVENT" being promoted by KGP...maybe it was just meant to get people to start thinking and exploring their thoughts on religion...if so, it sure has worked
The Knowing God Personally (KGP) Event is tonight at 6:15 in HSC 1A1.
bring your questions!

Old 03-12-2010 at 11:37 PM   #447
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan V View Post
As to whether God exists, check these pictures out and the article of the Red Sea Crossing... yes the crossing was a miracle done by God... The sea is 900 feet deep where they crossed and 5000 feet deep everywhere else meaning that the wall of water was 900 feet high. As proof of the crossing the bottom of the sea is littered with chariot wheels and chariots and bones. Just on the other side of the Red sea is mount sinai in saudi arabia, (Galations 4:25) with its burnt mountain top which is burnt black, and the remains of the golden calf altar. (of course the golden calf itself is not there as it was grinded into powder) Today it is heavily guarded by the saudi arabians. Check it out on Google Earth you can see the mountain and the fences and guardhouses and altar for yourself. Just type Jabal Al Lawz (mountain of laws) into the google earth search. This is not me just making stuff up. It is there to this day. http://www.accordingtothescr ipture...acrossing.html

LOL