Changes to Kin 1Y03/1YY3 winter02 Academics 8 06-06-2012 06:52 PM
To Anyone who has taken Kin 1y03/ 1yy3 AnnaWM Academics 6 08-08-2011 12:51 AM
kin 1Y03/1YY3 HELP cjdzl Academics 3 09-10-2010 09:30 PM

Kin 1Y03/1YY3

Old 06-07-2012 at 10:54 AM   #1
winter02

Liked: 7 Times

Kin 1Y03/1YY3
For both first year kin courses, are there spots specifically reserved for first years, 2nd years, and so on? Or are there only seats reserved for first year, and once the course is full before solar opens for 2nd years, then no 2nd years could get in? (As in if the course is already full when 3rd years enter solar, is it possible for 2nd years to still get the course?)
Old 06-07-2012 at 11:25 AM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

There's seats still reserved for upper years. So it might show up as full for some 3rd years, but once 2nd year registration comes around, it could show up as available and you can get a spot. I took Kin 1YY3 in second year and it wasn't full and there's a ton of upper years in the class.
Old 06-07-2012 at 11:51 AM   #3
mike4

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
There's seats still reserved for upper years. So it might show up as full for some 3rd years, but once 2nd year registration comes around, it could show up as available and you can get a spot. I took Kin 1YY3 in second year and it wasn't full and there's a ton of upper years in the class.
Hey Sara, does that mean If I were to log onto solar right when the second years do, Kin might have spots open, or they'll only be open to second years and I'll view them as full?
Old 06-07-2012 at 12:18 PM   #4
winter02

Liked: 7 Times

Thanks Sara, ^ yeah I was wondering about that as well, especially since they almost doubled the amounts of seats in both first year kin courses now
Old 06-07-2012 at 02:18 PM   #5
optimism

Liked: 14 Times

I'm going into my third year as well and I desperately need kin, but it's full!! :(
Old 06-07-2012 at 02:20 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike4 View Post
Hey Sara, does that mean If I were to log onto solar right when the second years do, Kin might have spots open, or they'll only be open to second years and I'll view them as full?
It sucks, I know, but that would mean that they show up as available for the second years only not third years :(. All the available spots should open up at the August date or before the first week of school, when they take away the restrictions and any one can register for any open spots .

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter02 View Post
Thanks Sara, ^ yeah I was wondering about that as well, especially since they almost doubled the amounts of seats in both first year kin courses now
No problem! Exactly, they doubled the seat, so anyone who wants to get into kin, now has 2X the chance that anyone had before . Don't despair! Spots are bound to open up eventually!
Old 06-07-2012 at 02:30 PM   #7
SHWEDDIES

Liked: 3 Times

since it is a first year course they reserve most pots for 1st years. All the 'upper year' spots will most likely be taken by 4th or even 3rd years since they get access to solar earlier than 2nd years. However, once solar re-opens for everyone, if some of the reserved spots for 1st years weren't taken, then it's a free for all and anyone can sign up. It normally is difficult to get in first SOLAR round since it is a course in high demand!If you still can't get in I would try emailing the prof, sometimes they can squeeze you in.
Old 06-07-2012 at 04:29 PM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHWEDDIES View Post
since it is a first year course they reserve most pots for 1st years. All the 'upper year' spots will most likely be taken by 4th or even 3rd years since they get access to solar earlier than 2nd years. However, once solar re-opens for everyone, if some of the reserved spots for 1st years weren't taken, then it's a free for all and anyone can sign up. It normally is difficult to get in first SOLAR round since it is a course in high demand!If you still can't get in I would try emailing the prof, sometimes they can squeeze you in.
In the past, they've refused to do it for this course, simply because it's so popular and there really is a limited amount of space. However, on another thread people have said that they've now split the 1A and 1Y streams into two separate rooms, so this should increase the amount of room available.
Old 06-07-2012 at 04:39 PM   #9
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times

Theres a certain number of seats released for each solar entry/faculty. It may show up as full for you and not for your friend (in same year but diff faculty or vica versa). When solar opens up for all then you can all fight for the left over seats.

Hope that made sense.