MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
School Of Business (DeGroote School of Business) Chad Academics 58 09-12-2011 10:53 AM
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Non-school? andrew22 General Discussion 7 01-20-2010 01:16 AM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM
Law School soomroau Academics 9 12-13-2009 05:43 PM

Kin -----> Med School

Old 06-22-2009 at 11:54 PM   #31
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

Quote:
to make sure that I want to apply for the right reasons
I completely understand what you're going through. Pretty much everyone I know that went into science at the beginning of university had no idea what to do. Most people strive for medicine, just because it is the hardest to get into and the most prestigious. I did as well a long time ago. It's really hard to figure out exactly what you want to do...I know many students that have graduated and still have no idea what to do with their B.Sc.

I started pursing medicine because it was pretty much the most interesting career I could think of. Plus, I'm not ashamed to admit my parents and peers influenced me alot by saying, "Oh you would be a great doctor" etc. It was hands-on, interesting, and there were so many different areas of study that I could decide from. BUT I really started wanting to pursue the healthcare career later on from numerous factors. Volunteering for events like the Crohn's and Colitis walk-a-thon and Relay for Life were quite fun and intriguing. I think the main influence was working at MacWheelers and MacSeniors at DBAC. I highly suggest anyone reading this wanting to pursue medicine to volunteer at the gym for these programs. It was an awesome experience helping paraplegics recover from injuries and I was even witness to a woman slowly regain her function from total loss to full motion. The personal aspect was really helpful as well. Socializing and making friends made me feel like it was a happy environment and a fun position I hated to give up this year.

There was my research position during the summer that was really fun and exciting. It sparked my interest in other fields of medicine that I might like doing in labs and such. Working in a hospital was fun as well. Also, my courses in 4th year were very hands-on and helped hammer down which topics I wanted to continue doing, like anatomy, pediatrics, and physiology.

So basically it was a mix of everything. The best advice I can give is to do as much volunteering and relative work as you can in different areas, and see what your niche is. My resume is so scattered as I was trying to decide what I wanted to do. Counsellor...research ...rehab...rogers video(lol, not really a career)...hospital... etc. But one thing i do know is that everyone has what it takes. Work hard enough and you'll get what you want.

This feels like writing a resume or letter for medschool haha

Clubsfest during welcome week is your friend. =] Check it out.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to mitch for this post.
Old 06-30-2009 at 09:06 PM   #32
blue15

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch View Post
I completely understand what you're going through. Pretty much everyone I know that went into science at the beginning of university had no idea what to do. Most people strive for medicine, just because it is the hardest to get into and the most prestigious. I did as well a long time ago. It's really hard to figure out exactly what you want to do...I know many students that have graduated and still have no idea what to do with their B.Sc.

I started pursing medicine because it was pretty much the most interesting career I could think of. Plus, I'm not ashamed to admit my parents and peers influenced me alot by saying, "Oh you would be a great doctor" etc. It was hands-on, interesting, and there were so many different areas of study that I could decide from. BUT I really started wanting to pursue the healthcare career later on from numerous factors. Volunteering for events like the Crohn's and Colitis walk-a-thon and Relay for Life were quite fun and intriguing. I think the main influence was working at MacWheelers and MacSeniors at DBAC. I highly suggest anyone reading this wanting to pursue medicine to volunteer at the gym for these programs. It was an awesome experience helping paraplegics recover from injuries and I was even witness to a woman slowly regain her function from total loss to full motion. The personal aspect was really helpful as well. Socializing and making friends made me feel like it was a happy environment and a fun position I hated to give up this year.

There was my research position during the summer that was really fun and exciting. It sparked my interest in other fields of medicine that I might like doing in labs and such. Working in a hospital was fun as well. Also, my courses in 4th year were very hands-on and helped hammer down which topics I wanted to continue doing, like anatomy, pediatrics, and physiology.

So basically it was a mix of everything. The best advice I can give is to do as much volunteering and relative work as you can in different areas, and see what your niche is. My resume is so scattered as I was trying to decide what I wanted to do. Counsellor...research ...rehab...rogers video(lol, not really a career)...hospital... etc. But one thing i do know is that everyone has what it takes. Work hard enough and you'll get what you want.

This feels like writing a resume or letter for medschool haha

Clubsfest during welcome week is your friend. =] Check it out.

thanks alot mitch, this is really helpful

Sorry, I have another question about courses for first year, I was wondering if you could tell me if this courseload is too heavy :p

First Term
Anatomy and Physiology I
Epidemiology
Nutrition and Health
Chemistry I
Calculus for Science I

Second Term
Anatomy and Physiology II
Research Methodologies
Psychomotor Behaviour
Biology I
Chemistry II

Thanks
Old 06-30-2009 at 09:09 PM   #33
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

Your course load is heavy, just like everyone else in first year science. It's a normal schedule. Just be glad you're not in first year engineering.
Old 06-30-2009 at 09:19 PM   #34
blue15

Liked: 1 Time

alright thanks, well at least it's a normal schedule lol