MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cutest picture ever Rakim General Discussion 18 10-20-2010 09:15 PM
What kind of backpack to use? danzai First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 09-03-2010 09:58 PM
Any kind neighbour with a powerwasher? Melanieee General Discussion 9 06-09-2010 02:22 PM
How to make Peepshi (a kind of sushi) lorend General Discussion 3 04-02-2010 09:39 AM
ELM protest .. kind of Kathy2 Computers & Tech 39 01-22-2010 09:16 PM

What kind of bug is this? [picture]

Old 07-04-2011 at 01:44 PM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

What kind of bug is this? [picture]
I have found a few of these bugs in various places around my house (warm, cold, dry, wet, dark, light), and I can't figure out what they are. I want to know so I can get the right spray or trap to get rid of them. They are about twice the size of a grasshopper and I've never seen them move, so I don't know if they walk/jump/fly. I appreciate any help!!

http://i54.tinypic.com/2s7f5m8.jpg

(I put the pic in a link instead of right in this post in case anyone clicked the thread by accident and didn't want to see)
Old 07-04-2011 at 01:46 PM   #2
Patrick.O

Liked: 28 Times

Well...it's blue.

That's all I got.

Mohit likes this.
Old 07-04-2011 at 01:46 PM   #3
Kathy2
Elite Member

Sorry, the lighting isn't great. It's black.
Old 07-04-2011 at 01:47 PM   #4
Patrick.O

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Sorry, the lighting isn't great. It's black.
Damn. Well I ain't got shit now. Lol good luck.

Old 07-04-2011 at 02:07 PM   #5
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

How can you expect us to help if its false-coloured!?
(but even if it was properly coloured, i still wouldnt be able to help you lol)
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 07-04-2011 at 02:21 PM   #6
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Just use some roach spray and it tends to do the trick anyway. Call in some pest control people and get them to diagnose the situation for you?
Old 07-04-2011 at 02:24 PM   #7
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Just use some roach spray and it tends to do the trick anyway. Call in some pest control people and get them to diagnose the situation for you?
I have to be careful about sprays because I have small animals. I want to find out what it is so I can (hopefully) find an alternative to sprays, like glue traps or something. I want to call pest control people but it costs a bit of money :(
Old 07-04-2011 at 02:27 PM   #8
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I'm guessing you live in Southwestern Ontario...

I don't think its a cockroach, though I can't tell for sure with the pic. This German Cockroach is the only one it could be based on how it looks. http://www.goldcitypestservi ces.co..._cockroach.jpg This one is brown, but I think they can come darker.

It has a leafhopper kind of a shape, but if its black I don't think its one of those, lol. I dont think its a firefly either, it seems too skinny (though they are dark). It might be an Asian Longhorn Beetle if it has huge antenna (they might have not shown up in the pic?)

Does it have transparent wings on the back or is it a hard shell? I can't tell with the pic. Luckily it doesn't have huge jaws or anything else scary looking. If its got big transparent wings down most of its back it might be some kind of stonefly. If its hard its probably some kind of beetle.

Can you try to get a better pic? Just kill one and throw it on the deck or something, lol. Or just go to Home Depot or something and see if they have general pest traps or something...

I have centipedes in my basement...now that is some scary shiz

Last edited by britb : 07-04-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-04-2011 at 02:40 PM   #9
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Just a regular ol' beetle of some sort... Actually, I've found a LOT of these lately in my basement apartment. This is the first year I've seen them.

I just smush em.... aint nearly as scary as a centipede. T_T

I've been using just regular Raid for all my bugs in this house (spiders, centipedes) and it works on everything. Me and my roommate took down this monster centipede the other day. Albeit it wasn't an immediate death, it was better than the alternative (me running around like a mother****ing headless chicken).

Can you take your pets out for a day? Just get a bottle of Raid and go crazy on window sills and door frames (wherever your pets can't reach I suppose, assuming you don't have cats)

I'd say do baseboards and stuff, but if you're worried about pets licking it after it's dry... Idk, I assume it's safe otherwise I'd probably be dead by now. I'm sure your pets can handle one spray that'll last you the summer. xD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 07-04-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Desda, L'Étoile like this.
Old 07-04-2011 at 02:49 PM   #10
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I'm guessing you live in Southwestern Ontario...

I don't think its a cockroach, though I can't tell for sure with the pic. This German Cockroach is the only one it could be based on how it looks. http://www.goldcitypestservi ces.co..._cockroach.jpg This one is brown, but I think they can come darker.

It has a leafhopper kind of a shape, but if its black I don't think its one of those, lol. I dont think its a firefly either, it seems too skinny (though they are dark). It might be an Asian Longhorn Beetle if it has huge antenna (they might have not shown up in the pic?)

Does it have transparent wings on the back or is it a hard shell? I can't tell with the pic. Luckily it doesn't have huge jaws or anything else scary looking. If its got big transparent wings down most of its back it might be some kind of stonefly. If its hard its probably some kind of beetle.

Can you try to get a better pic? Just kill one and throw it on the deck or something, lol. Or just go to Home Depot or something and see if they have general pest traps or something...

I have centipedes in my basement...now that is some scary shiz
Oddly enough, there used to be tons of centipedes at my parents house so I'm not bothered by them anymore.
I'm not sure about the wings, I don't get a good enough look. I spot them from afar and get my boyfriend to kill them. It doesn't really look like a cockroach. It's thinner and less.. hairy. It's pretty thin in terms of height and width. I plan on going to Home Hardware/Depot tomorrow and looking for traps, but I figured it would be better if I could be more specific about what I'm trying to kill.

I remember hearing about a prof at Mac who specializes in bugs.. is this true? If so, maybe I can contact him and he'd be willing to help me out?
Old 07-04-2011 at 02:50 PM   #11
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Just a regular ol' beetle of some sort... Actually, I've found a LOT of these lately in my basement apartment. This is the first year I've seen them.

I just smush em.... aint nearly as scary as a centipede. T_T
I've never seen these before either - no one I've talked to has. I agree it looks like a beetle. I'd take a centipede over these guys any day of the week :(
Old 07-04-2011 at 03:01 PM   #12
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:
I remember hearing about a prof at Mac who specializes in bugs.. is this true? If so, maybe I can contact him and he'd be willing to help me out?

Marvin Gunderman. He's a really nice guy, I've talked to him before. He's an IA now, but he's the bug guy. You should see his office!

/ugly c/P text becuase my computer is stupid and I wasn't sure how to spell his name, lol.
Old 07-04-2011 at 03:16 PM   #13
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Marvin Gunderman. He's a really nice guy, I've talked to him before. He's an IA now, but he's the bug guy. You should see his office!

/ugly c/P text becuase my computer is stupid and I wasn't sure how to spell his name, lol.
It sounds like I might want to avoid his office, haha. But I will contact him and see what he says. Thanks!
Old 07-04-2011 at 04:27 PM   #14
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:
It sounds like I might want to avoid his office, haha. But I will contact him and see what he says. Thanks!
Tell us if he knows, I want to look up this insect, lol.