MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kinesiology 2CC3 KRan 2nd Year Course Reviews 6 05-05-2014 12:11 PM
Kinesiology I Question blue15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-13-2009 05:56 PM
Kinesiology hello395 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-17-2008 05:02 PM
kinesiology shreya s. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-26-2008 05:14 PM

Kinesiology I

Old 12-28-2010 at 11:07 AM   #1
UH2010

Liked: 0 Times

Kinesiology I
Hello guys.
LEVEL I

Kinesiology Courses 18 units

1A03 Human Anatomy & Physiology I

1AA3 Human Anatomy & Physiology II

1C03 Physical Activity Epidemiology & Health

1E03 Psychomotor Behaviour

1F03 Introduction to Human Nutrition & Health

1G03 Research Methodologies & Data Analyses

Electives 12 units

0 - 3 units from Math 1A03, 1LS3

Thats the list of courses one needs to take in Kin first year. My question is, can I take a fully year of chem and bio with those above mentioned kin required courses? Also, do you guys think it will be difficult (I'd have too many labs) to handle all those kin courses with chem and bio?

Anyone who has taken the courses I plan on taking, can you comment?

Thanks,
Old 12-28-2010 at 12:39 PM   #2
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by UH2010 View Post
Hello guys.
LEVEL I

Electives 12 units

Thats the list of courses one needs to take in Kin first year. My question is, can I take a fully year of chem and bio with those above mentioned kin required courses? Also, do you guys think it will be difficult (I'd have too many labs) to handle all those kin courses with chem and bio?

Thanks,
dont do chem as an elective, trust me not worth it
Old 12-28-2010 at 01:01 PM   #3
UH2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
dont do chem as an elective, trust me not worth it
BUt I need it in order to write MCATS and for med in general.
Would my first year be relly hard with those kin courses and chem n bio?
Old 12-28-2010 at 02:05 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

I know someone who did Chem and others who took Bio along with all the Kin courses and it was fine. As long as they fit into your schedule and there's no conflicts with your Kin cores, I don't see why you can't take them as electives.
Also, because you need to take math, you might only be able to take 3/4 of the 2 bios and 2 chem courses.

UH2010 says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 12-28-2010 at 02:09 PM   #5
UH2010

i noticed that alotta these kin courses have lab components too. Would you say it will get hard / impossible to manage so many labs and tutorials and lectures??
Am I essentially setting myself up for failure with so many lab courses. And I asked this in another one of my threads, but does Kin's first year physiology n antaomy course count toward UWO's dental pre req?

Thanks
Old 12-28-2010 at 02:13 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
i noticed that alotta these kin courses have lab components too. Would you say it will get hard / impossible to manage so many labs and tutorials and lectures??
Am I essentially setting myself up for failure with so many lab courses. And I asked this in another one of my threads, but does Kin's first year physiology n antaomy course count toward UWO's dental pre req?

Thanks
I don't think it's impossible. I'm only in second year biology, but so far, it's been manageable. It can get stressful at times, but not impossible. Also, most labs are every other week! I definitely don't think you're setting yourself up for failure, just be sure to manage your time wisely! This should answer your physiology question, but honestly, I would contact them anyway, and send them a course outline or something, just to be sure.
http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/dentistry...tember2009.pdf
Old 12-28-2010 at 02:19 PM   #7
UH2010

crud. It says they need
McMaster University
Biology 3U03 + 3UU3 (both)

DAM !!!! What a rip off. So that means I'd have to take FOUR anatomy/physiolgy courses just for UWO.
Old 12-28-2010 at 02:28 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
crud. It says they need
McMaster University

DAM !!!! What a rip off. So that means I'd have to take FOUR anatomy/physiolgy courses just for UWO.
You didn't read the full document. Read page one, numbers 1+2. It doesn't mean you need to take 4 courses. They continuously update the list, or you can take an exam. Also, you can email them to ask and be sure.

Last edited by ~*Sara*~ : 12-28-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-31-2010 at 02:49 PM   #9
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
crud. It says they need
McMaster University

Looking at the list, I'd study for and take the exam. I'm sure the base from the kin courses would be enough that you wouldn't be lost studying the exam material on your own.
Old 12-31-2010 at 02:51 PM   #10
UH2010

well hopefully they add the two first year kin course (Anatomy & physiology) to their list so we dont have to write the exam. Somebody should ask em to
Old 12-31-2010 at 02:59 PM   #11
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

why dont you do it
Old 12-31-2010 at 03:01 PM   #12
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Hello guys.
LEVEL I

Electives 12 units

Thanks,
The Short answer: No. You can't take 11 courses your first year.
Slightly longer answer: Yes you can. I got permission to overload second semester first year even though it technically isn't supposed to happen. Of course the course I wanted to overload turned out to conflict anyways and long story short I didn't do it.
The Full Answer:

To give a very detailed answer I'd have to know a bunch of things like which 12U courses you took and whether you are willing to take summer courses.

My general advice would be: Take Math 1LS3 unless you love math.... It'll be less work and give you more time to focus on your other subjects. Stay on top of your assignments and stuff for the Kin courses and they turn out to be not nearly as much work as you'd think. Take first year chem in the summer if you're ok with taken some summer courses... the summer lecturer is great! Bio is in my opinion (and I did come in 52nd in the UofT national bio competition in grade 12, do I'm not awful at it or anything) the hardest courses out of the ones you mention. They have a lot of make work, the tests are needlessly confusing (especially the written answers which are not often clear about what they want in an answer), and the labs/tutorials are annoying and boring compared to other courses. Also don't be afraid, you CAN take first year courses as electives in your upper years as to round out your prequesites.

UH2010 says thanks to arathbon for this post.