MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kinesiology Co-op Bee9 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 04-06-2011 04:13 PM
Can i still go to kinesiology?? Yan_220 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 04-05-2011 05:52 AM
Kinesiology hello395 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-17-2008 05:02 PM
kinesiology shreya s. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-26-2008 05:14 PM

Kinesiology

Old 02-08-2013 at 01:27 PM   #1
J.Clouseau

Liked: 1 Time

Kinesiology
Hello,

I am wondering about the kinesiology program at McMaster, how does it work? Is first the "Honours Kinesiology I" then in second year you go into "Honours Kinesiology (B.Sc Kinesiology)." If I am considering the medical route, would kinesiology provide a good basis for that?

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2013 at 01:40 PM   #2
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

The Department of Kinesiology offers a direct-entry Honours B.Sc. (Kinesiology) degree through a program is well-known for its quality, innovation and integrative approach to the study of kinesiology.

You might find this useful as well.

Ponyo says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 02-09-2013 at 12:58 AM   #3
Ponyo

Liked: 274 Times

in my opinion kinesiology, life sciences, health sciences, and any other sciences at mac with the right electives can be a good route to med school.

there is a course in kinesiology kin 1y03 and 1yy3 ( open to ppl outside of kin) that a lot of students who are considering med school take. so if you end up in a different program i suggest you look into that course.
best of luck
Old 02-18-2013 at 01:32 PM   #4
J.Clouseau

Thanks guys! Say I graduate with an undergrad in kinesiology, would I be able to teach say math and physics for secondary school assuming that I get my Bachelor of Education? Are there enough elective credits for you get teachables or will gym be the only subject you can teach? Thanks!
Old 02-18-2013 at 02:13 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Clouseau View Post
Thanks guys! Say I graduate with an undergrad in kinesiology, would I be able to teach say math and physics for secondary school assuming that I get my Bachelor of Education? Are there enough elective credits for you get teachables or will gym be the only subject you can teach? Thanks!
It depends what level you want to teach at and what school you want to go to. I'd recommend you go to the TEAS website and look at the requirements, and then see if you'll have enough electives to complete them in kin.

Just as an example, at Brock for junior/intermediate level teaching you need 3 full-year credits (ie 18 units) in each teachable, and you need two teachables, whereas at Brock for intermediate/senior level you need 5 full-year credits (ie 30 units) for the first teachable and 3 (18 units) for the second. I believe this is the most common setup but there are lots of exceptions anyways. And then, within the subject areas there are certain requirements that must be fulfilled, and these also differ between universities. Some schools require different numbers of credits depending on what subject area it is.

So yeah, there's no way to answer your question, because there isn't a general answer, it depends on what you specifically want to do. Kin does have a large number of electives (12 units in first year and 30-36 in levels 2-4), but it's something that you need to look into and plan out yourself.
Old 02-18-2013 at 03:08 PM   #6
J.Clouseau

Oh alright, thank you very much!