MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tutorials/Labs? kanishka Academics 1 08-30-2010 04:19 PM
Labs and Tutorials Vaidawg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-09-2010 02:58 PM
Labs/Tutorials TheAxtmann First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 08-13-2009 06:32 PM
Labs and Tutorials hellonewyork First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-30-2009 01:20 PM
Labs and Tutorials... Richa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 09-07-2008 10:19 AM

Labs and Tutorials

Old 06-25-2010 at 03:50 PM   #1
LivLucy

Liked: 0 Times

Labs and Tutorials
Do I have to choose the times for my labs and tutorials on SOLAR when I register for courses? Or I am I just picking core times? I am almost done my mock timetable but havn't yet included labs or turorials. I read somewhere that they are chosen for you in August.

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2010 at 03:54 PM   #2
khaotic

Liked: 18 Times

You should add your labs and tutorials to your mock timetable. Once Solar re-opens you will be able to select which labs and tutorials you want so it's a good to decide on which sections you want before hand so you can get them quick before they fill up.

BTW for now you won't be picking any cores/tutorials/labs. You will just be choosing classes to register for. Sections will be assigned later on and then Solar re-opens so everyone can edit them.
Old 06-25-2010 at 09:22 PM   #3
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

You only pick your core.

When solar opens to you for the first time, you only get to pick which core you want, and sometimes this means you get a choice of which semester you take it in, SOMETIMES.
Then solar closes, and randomly puts you in tutorials and labs.
Then solar opens again to you, and you get to change the tutorial and lab sections your in (but usually you can cuz all the other ones will be completely full)
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 06-25-2010 at 09:26 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by djRAIN View Post
You only pick your core.

When solar opens to you for the first time, you only get to pick which core you want, and sometimes this means you get a choice of which semester you take it in, SOMETIMES.
Then solar closes, and randomly puts you in tutorials and labs.
Then solar opens again to you, and you get to change the tutorial and lab sections your in (but usually you can cuz all the other ones will be completely full)
You don't even get to pick your Core most of the time. Just the term you want to take the course in. In upper years it doesn't even matter though since almost all courses have 1 core.
Old 06-26-2010 at 03:42 PM   #5
LivLucy

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks guys! Actually I have a question about terms too. If I have two full year courses and I believe 4 half year courses I should try to balance them right? Like two in the first term then the another two in the second term?
Old 06-26-2010 at 03:47 PM   #6
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

It's really up to you. A balanced schedule has its advantages (ie, you being less likely to be completely overwheled) but I did an unbalanced schedule last year and kindof liked it. My easier semester was a breeze.
Old 07-08-2010 at 05:46 PM   #7
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times

Just wondering but when is it opening up again for us to pick tutorials and labs?
Old 07-08-2010 at 05:56 PM   #8
Marlowe
Elite Member

Wednesday, August 11, 8:30 a.m.
SOLAR re-opens for those students previously registered and fees cleared by August 10, and for those students who are newly admitted after July 15th

Monday, August 16, 12:01 a.m.
SOLAR re-opens for those students previously registered

Tuesday, August 17, 12:01 a.m.
SOLAR re-opens for all students.
Old 07-09-2010 at 12:53 AM   #9
amitoj

Liked: 15 Times

ok honestly, im really confused. Some people told me to pick labs/tutorials and others just said to pick the core.
Now first of all, what exactly is a core? On solar, it says ur can pick C01 or C02 as a core for a certain course. I honeslty dont know wat the difference is. Please Help! Its the same type of thing with the labs and tutorials. PLEASE Help!!

Also, Should I or should I not pick my labs/tutorials? And what are the advantages if I do or dont?

Thanks alot.
Old 07-09-2010 at 01:00 AM   #10
qwerty!

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
ok honestly, im really confused. Some people told me to pick labs/tutorials and others just said to pick the core.
Now first of all, what exactly is a core? On solar, it says ur can pick C01 or C02 as a core for a certain course. I honeslty dont know wat the difference is. Please Help! Its the same type of thing with the labs and tutorials. PLEASE Help!!

Also, Should I or should I not pick my labs/tutorials? And what are the advantages if I do or dont?

Thanks alot.
Core is your lecture. If a class has more than one core, it means that the same class is available at another time with possibly a different prof. So C01 might be on Mon, Wed, Fri at 1:30 but C02 might be at Tue, Thu, Fri at 8:30. At the end of the week, both cores will have covered the same amount of material. Sometimes, people chose to 'miss' their 8:30 cores and go to the later ones instead

If you have the option of picking your labs/tutorials, do so before they get full!

Last edited by qwerty! : 07-09-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 07-09-2010 at 01:03 AM   #11
Marlowe
Elite Member

Core essentially means timeslot and prof. You can look up that which time and prof corresponds to which core here.

You'll automatically be assigned labs and tutorials that fit into your schedule. If you would like to change to another lab that has spaces though, you have the option. Labs and tutorials are listed in the same place as cores.

Advantage- You might find something that fits in your schedule better.
Disadvantage- It might be a waste of time if you don't find a better section

Its not a big deal though, so don't worry! Hope that helps a bit.
Old 07-09-2010 at 01:06 AM   #12
amitoj

ohh. ic. Thanks man. but is there a way to know whether wat C01 or C02 are (like wat days and time)? or do we jus randomly pick one of them?
Old 07-09-2010 at 01:08 AM   #13
amitoj

oh ok.. thanks alot.
Old 07-09-2010 at 01:10 AM   #14
amitoj

the link for the cores dont work. When i try to open it, it says proxy error.
Old 07-09-2010 at 01:13 AM   #15
qwerty!

Liked: 6 Times

Really? https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/