MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tutorials/Labs? kanishka Academics 1 08-30-2010 04:19 PM
Labs and Tutorials Vaidawg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-09-2010 02:58 PM
Labs and Tutorials LivLucy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 07-14-2010 06:16 PM
Labs and Tutorials hellonewyork First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-30-2009 01:20 PM
Labs and Tutorials... Richa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 09-07-2008 10:19 AM

Labs/Tutorials

Old 08-13-2009 at 06:25 AM   #1
TheAxtmann

Liked: 3 Times

Labs/Tutorials
Hey, quick question. Is there a rule that tells me which tutorials/labs I can take without worrying that the lab might be on material I haven't covered yet? For example I have my Eng 1c03 lab on Thursdays but the core is on Friday. Will I have issues with that? Just wondering, because I'm going to try to switch some stuff around this morning, don't want to switch a chem lab or a physics core and end up having my labs be a week ahead of what I've done in the class.

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2009 at 06:30 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxtmann View Post
Hey, quick question. Is there a rule that tells me which tutorials/labs I can take without worrying that the lab might be on material I haven't covered yet? For example I have my Eng 1c03 lab on Thursdays but the core is on Friday. Will I have issues with that? Just wondering, because I'm going to try to switch some stuff around this morning, don't want to switch a chem lab or a physics core and end up having my labs be a week ahead of what I've done in the class.

Thanks!
Generally the professor will ensure that everyone knows the same amount of material for the labs.
Old 08-13-2009 at 07:38 AM   #3
TheAxtmann

Okay so it doesn't matter if my labs are in the middle of the week and my lectures are sorta random I'll still have covered the neccesary material?
Old 08-13-2009 at 07:56 AM   #4
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Actually, for Chem at least you might be better off getting the latest lab you can get. I had the earliest lab last year, and I had always been done it for a few days before the prof started mentioning anything about the lab. >.<

Apparently you guys are getting online videos on how to do the labs this year though, so you might not even need the profs tips.
Old 08-13-2009 at 08:24 AM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Actually, for Chem at least you might be better off getting the latest lab you can get. I had the earliest lab last year, and I had always been done it for a few days before the prof started mentioning anything about the lab. >.<

Apparently you guys are getting online videos on how to do the labs this year though, so you might not even need the profs tips.
But Chem 1AA3 had a better system which they are most likely implementing this year. For a lab everyone goes in without knowing the material. For the second lab everyone goes in knowing all the material since it was covered with the first lab was taking place.
Old 08-13-2009 at 08:30 AM   #6
TheAxtmann

Hm okay. I think my chem lab is on Thursday afternoons. Physics lab is Tuesday afternoon and then my Eng lab first semester is Wednesday. Second term I've got eng on wednesday and physics on Thursdays... Hopefully that's okay?
Old 08-13-2009 at 12:53 PM   #7
gracejun

Liked: 0 Times

Just a quick question here:
Does the code for the lab and the tutorial for a certain subject have to be the same necessarily??

uhmm
let me clarify this question..with an example:

Ex. CHEM 1A03 L45 and CHEM 1A03 T45
Does it have to be 45????? or can i have
CHEM1A03 L35 and CHEM 1A03 T45???
Old 08-13-2009 at 01:24 PM   #8
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracejun View Post
Does the code for the lab and the tutorial for a certain subject have to be the same necessarily??

uhmm

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't matter.

Old 08-13-2009 at 01:31 PM   #9
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracejun View Post

uhmm

For chem it doesn't matter what tutorial you sign up for because they're drop in, you can go to any one of the tutorials and attendance isn't marked or anything. But I think I remember when picking for chem, you had to pick the same number as your lab. But like I said, the time slot for chem tutorials doesn't matter. For other courses, a certain core may have a certain few tutorials/lab sections for that core only so you can only pick from that list. Other courses it wont matter.
Old 08-13-2009 at 01:43 PM   #10
gracejun

Thank you sooooo much!! u.yousaf and Harlequin90 !!! You guys are AWWEESSOOME!! I rlly appreciate ur replies
Old 08-13-2009 at 02:06 PM   #11
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Ah...I have Chem 1A03 lab Monday and my core is Tuesday/Thurs/Friday...I hope I won't get screwed by that >_>
Old 08-13-2009 at 02:10 PM   #12
Harlequin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Ah...I have Chem 1A03 lab Monday and my core is Tuesday/Thurs/Friday...I hope I won't get screwed by that >_>
Generally the profs will try to go over anything that needs going over for the lab before anyone has the labs. But labs aren't too difficult and you have the textbook, profs in office hours to go to, and Jeff Landry is helpful too. Also you can ask questions on the discussion board. It won't be too difficult.
Old 08-13-2009 at 02:48 PM   #13
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

I had my 1C03 lecture before my lab. Didnt make any difference since lecture notes are posted online, and during the lab, they briefly go through all the tools you need for that particular lab.
Old 08-13-2009 at 02:58 PM   #14
Harlequin

And also, just because you've got a Monday lab doesn't mean you'll have the lab first. You could be week two since chem 1a03/aa3 labs are alternate weeks
Old 08-13-2009 at 05:45 PM   #15
iiiZA

First Year kinesiology student here! For tutorials, i JUST got on SOLAR because I wanted to switch my some course lab/tutorial time but all are full. Im going to keep checking back to see if anyone dropped but can I just not go to my scheduled tutorial (obviously i have to go to my scheduled lab) and catch the same one at an earlier time or another day within the week?