MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tutorials/Labs? kanishka Academics 1 08-30-2010 04:19 PM
Labs/Tutorials TheAxtmann First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 08-13-2009 06:32 PM
Labs and Tutorials hellonewyork First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-30-2009 01:20 PM
Labs and Tutorials... Richa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 09-07-2008 10:19 AM

Labs / Tutorials ?

Old 07-21-2011 at 09:20 PM   #1
-Ish-

Liked: 56 Times

Labs / Tutorials ?
Hi

When choosing Lab timings for Bio, Chem and Kinesiology, I found that the labs were every other week. How can I choose timings for the lab components of these courses so that I have a Bio lab and Chem lab one week and a Kinesiology Lab the following week. Do the numbers in the codes play a role in this?

Also, when having labs, is it like highschool, where we conduct an experiment one day and hand in the Lab report a week later (which in this case would be 2 weeks from the lab date - since labs are every other week). Also, I was told that tutorials are like miniature tests or quizzes. Is that correct? & if so, how much are these tests worth on my total average? (How much would the labs be worth?)

Lastly, would a Chem Lab or Tutorial be a set-back if I were to have it earlier in the week - say on a Tuesday? Would the material that I would be required to know for the Lab or Tutorial be covered by that day?

Thanks in advance for all ur help
Old 07-21-2011 at 09:25 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ish- View Post
Hi

When choosing Lab timings for Bio, Chem and Kinesiology, I found that the labs were every other week. How can I choose timings for the lab components of these courses so that I have a Bio lab and Chem lab one week and a Kinesiology Lab the following week. Do the numbers in the codes play a role in this?

Also, when having labs, is it like highschool, where we conduct an experiment one day and hand in the Lab report a week later (which in this case would be 2 weeks from the lab date - since labs are every other week). Also, I was told that tutorials are like miniature tests or quizzes. Is that correct? & if so, how much are these tests worth on my total average? (How much would the labs be worth?)

Lastly, would a Chem Lab or Tutorial be a set-back if I were to have it earlier in the week - say on a Tuesday? Would the material that I would be required to know for the Lab or Tutorial be covered by that day?

Numbers play a role but you won't know until the first day of classes. Plus, they interchange with tutorials so you have lab one week and tutorials the next.

Lab reports are due either the day of right after lab (informal lab reports) or a week later in a physical drop box (formal lab reports).

There should be mark breakdowns in the reviews for the courses, they could change but it's unlikely.

The way they did Chem in my second year is that they made it so everyone either knew the material or didn't, in order to give everyone a "fair advantage". Although you are just following steps and the lab reports are easy stuff. I don't know if they've implemented this lab schedule in all chem classes, but it seems more "fair". But really the labs are easy and I never had trouble with them.

-Ish- says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-21-2011 at 09:29 PM   #3
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Hi

Let's start with the issue of trying to make it so all your labs don't fall on the same weeks. For Bio and Chem (I didn't take Kin but I presume it's the same), EVEN # labs are one week, then ODD # labs. Unfortunately, you won't know which (even or odd) goes first until the first week of lectures.

For CHEM 1A03/1AA3, you handed your labs in at the end of the lab. There was 1 or 2 labs where you got to take it home. I believe BIO 1A03 labs were due the next day, with the one formal lab we had due 1 week later.

Tutorials vary. For CHEM 1A03/1AA3, the TA just takes up questions that aren't worth marks. I rarely went to these but a lot of people I knew did. You'll find out quickly if you like them or not. BIO 1A03 had no tutorials. BIO 1M03 had questions worth marks and then towards the end of the semester, it was all spent either working on the group project or presenting it.

The knowledge required for a lab is rarely presented close to the labs (as far as I remember, it was all covered well before). I personally liked mid-week labs. Mondays were too early for me as I didn't like doing pre-labs over the weekend. Fridays were always test days so it's a bad idea to place labs then, although you do get the weekend to hand in labs (for BIO 1A03), which might may them worth it.

I could be wrong about some of this stuff, my memory is a bit fuzzy.

EDIT: How did I know Jeremy was gonna ninja me....

Last edited by UlteriorMtve : 07-21-2011 at 09:32 PM.

-Ish- says thanks to UlteriorMtve for this post.
Old 07-21-2011 at 09:29 PM   #4
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Hi

I'm assuming for chem and bio you mean Chem 1A03/1AA3 and Bio 1A03. I can't say anything about kin because I haven't taken them.

For knowing which lab is which week, you'll have to wait until the beginning of the year for your profs to tell you. It'll be based on your lab section, like you said. Even number labs go one week and odd number labs go the other week.

For chem labs, all reports are handed in during the allotted lab time. You have three hours and this includes the time needed to write up the report. But don't worry, it's not a full lab report like in HS, where you had a purpose/hypothesis etc. It's basically just pre-lab questions and then observations/calculations/discussions.

For bio 1A03, you'll have one formal lab report, the rest just consist of making notes in your lab book and answering a few questions.

For tutorials, chem ones are optional. all you do in there is take up the weekly posted questions based on the topics you're currently studying. I didn't find them very useful, but you might.

Bio tutorials are basically an extension of the concepts you're currently learning in lecture. In Bio 1M03 there are post-tutorial exercises you have to complete each week and one big group presentation, where the best group from each tutorial goes on to compete at the Biology Symposium.

All the concepts should be covered by the time you get to your lab/tutorial. If not, the TA will probably go over it. I liked having my labs later in the week because I had more time to prepare for them. Tutorials, didn't really make a difference

Hope that helped!

Got ninja'd by the both of you

Last edited by MichaelScarn : 07-21-2011 at 09:37 PM.

-Ish- says thanks to MichaelScarn for this post.
Old 07-21-2011 at 09:33 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorMtve View Post
Let's start with the issue of trying to make it so all your labs don't fall on the same weeks. For Bio and Chem (I didn't take Kin but I presume it's the same), EVEN # labs are one week, then ODD # labs. Unfortunately, you won't know which (even or odd) goes first until the first week of lectures.

For CHEM 1A03/1AA3, you handed your labs in at the end of the lab. There was 1 or 2 labs where you got to take it home. I believe BIO 1A03 labs were due the next day, with the one formal lab we had due 1 week later.

Tutorials vary. For CHEM 1A03/1AA3, the TA just takes up questions that aren't worth marks. I rarely went to these but a lot of people I knew did. You'll find out quickly if you like them or not. BIO 1A03 had no tutorials. BIO 1M03 had questions worth marks and then towards the end of the semester, it was all spent either working on the group project or presenting it.

The knowledge required for a lab is rarely presented close to the labs (as far as I remember, it was all covered well before). I personally liked mid-week labs. Mondays were too early for me as I didn't like doing pre-labs over the weekend. Fridays were always test days so it's a bad idea to place labs then, although you do get the weekend to hand in labs (for BIO 1A03), which might may them worth it.

EDIT: How did I know Jeremy was gonna ninja me....
You post was better though. I would like to add that for the chem tutorials, do the problems before tutorial. If you can do them then congratulations, you're doing well in the course and you can skip tutorial. If you can't, then you should either go to tutorials, learn the material on your own and/or go visit the professor during office hours to get the concepts re-explained to you.

UlteriorMtve says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-21-2011 at 09:52 PM   #6
-Ish-

Liked: 56 Times

Labs are to be handed the day of or the day after? I'm getting nervous already - lol I have planned out my time-table so that I have only one lab or tutorial per day. By doing so, I have one of something each day. Is that a good way to sort this out? Also, should I be clumping the labs all together earlier in the week and tutorials later in the week or does that not really matter.

Thanks for all the responses so far they were really helpful !
Old 07-21-2011 at 09:55 PM   #7
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Labs are to be handed the day of or the day after? I'm getting nervous already - lol I have planned out my time-table so that I have only one lab or tutorial per day. By doing so, I have one of something each day. Is that a good way to sort this out? Also, should I be clumping the labs all together earlier in the week and tutorials later in the week or does that not really matter.

Thanks for all the responses so far they were really helpful !
For CHEM 1A03/1AA3, labs are handed in as soon as your three hours are up. For BIO 1A03, the labs are handed in the day after, with the exception of the formal lab report, which you hand in the week after.

IMO, tutorials aren't anything to worry about. They're relatively light in terms of workload and like mentioned above, the chem tutorials are optional. You can go to them if you need extra help.

I would prefer to have my labs spaced out just because I hated them being so long. But it's up to you. If you want to get your labs over with early, then put them early in the week

-Ish- says thanks to MichaelScarn for this post.
Old 07-21-2011 at 10:17 PM   #8
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You post was better though. I would like to add that for the chem tutorials, do the problems before tutorial. If you can do them then congratulations, you're doing well in the course and you can skip tutorial. If you can't, then you should either go to tutorials, learn the material on your own and/or go visit the professor during office hours to get the concepts re-explained to you.
Though I recommend going anyway. For Chem 1A03/1AA3, you don't get solutions until the week after the assignment comes out. So you can go to the tutorials for solutions to make sure you did in fact do them right.