MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gillian Goward Vs. Jeff Landry for Chem 1A03? shawarama Academics 9 09-16-2010 10:31 AM
Jeff Landry? - Chem 1A03 C02 mike4 Academics 18 08-16-2010 07:50 PM
Has anyone had Jeff Landry for Chem? Alchemist11 General Discussion 16 09-21-2009 06:07 PM

Landry for Chem 1A03?

Old 08-27-2011 at 07:49 AM   #1
ezlx

Liked: 0 Times

Landry for Chem 1A03?
Hi, for those who had Landry for chem before, is he a good teacher?
Old 08-27-2011 at 08:55 AM   #2
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

I've heard mixed reviews here on Macinsiders. I had him, and personally I thought he was good. Nothing special, but good! Others thought he moved too quickly through the material. I dont necessarily agree with this; he skipped some slides without talking about them in lecture, but I found that those slides were either not very relevant, or they were just totally obvious review from high-school.

I feel like with Chem 1A03, that if you truly understood chemistry from high-school, it'd be easy to get a 12 in the class no matter who your professor is.

Chem 1AA3 is entirely different though, there's new material in that class :p
Old 08-27-2011 at 10:56 AM   #3
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

I had him last year for both 1A03/1AA3, and in my opinion, he is one of the best professors I've had in the whole year. He was great at teaching stuff, he was funny, and even though he fumbled sometimes, he was quick to fix things up. Did I mention he was funny? Point is, I loved having him as a prof, and I'm really disappointed he isn't teaching orgo.

He can be a bit scary though, sometimes. Make it a point not to sleep in his lectures.
Old 08-27-2011 at 11:01 AM   #4
Jason036

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
He can be a bit scary though, sometimes. Make it a point not to sleep in his lectures.
Also don't leave half way through. He doesn't like that either.
Old 08-27-2011 at 11:03 AM   #5
Jason036

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlx View Post
Hi, for those who had Landry for chem before, is he a good teacher?
He's a great teacher, very knowledgeable, easy to listen to...etc

My only problem with him is that sometimes he rambles a little too much only because he understands the material so well. Sometimes he talks as if he's talking to a friend of his and telling him about the lecture material.
Old 08-27-2011 at 12:04 PM   #6
Purple2309

Liked: 17 Times

Yup, I totally agree with all the posts above.

Landry is an amazing prof. If you ever feel lost during his lecture, try to go to his office hours for better explanations (Even though he might seem scary, he is actually really helpful). This really helped me ALOT in the Orgo unit of Chem 1AA3. Trust me with Landry, you won't be disappointed. He gives really tough review questions and "thursday problems" (they are not for marks) that really prepare you for the midterms and exams.

Yea, you really shouldn't sleep during his lectures. I specifically remember him embarrassing some guy who slept in one of his lecutures.
Old 08-27-2011 at 01:11 PM   #7
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Oh, and the embarrassment didn't last for that lecture only. He offered the guy - who sat in his regular sleeping seat AGAIN - a cookie at the end of term for being asleep through all of his other lectures.

Purple2309, rkb12 like this.
Old 08-27-2011 at 07:47 PM   #8
Little

Liked: 3 Times

I only had Landry fill in for my prof once, but just from that I can say that he's pretty awesome. Just as others have mentioned, he's very funny and good at explaining the material.

I also participated in a crystal growing competition last term which he supervised and I can tell you that despite what people say about him being 'scary' he's very nice and down to earth.
Old 08-27-2011 at 11:23 PM   #9
leungpc

Liked: 0 Times

Had him for both 1A03 and 1AA3 last year, and he's a good prof He makes it a point to have some sort of interactive participation questions at least once a week, so that keeps it interesting. As for actual teaching, he teaches you what you need to know, no more and no less... so no worries.
Old 08-27-2011 at 11:35 PM   #10
bubblefish

Liked: 1 Time

He's great =) just talked a bit fast lol.....if you put in the effort you can pull a 12.