MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
late go bus? Joyceyblank First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 10-09-2011 02:14 PM
I was late for an exam... :( Naml Academics 8 12-22-2010 09:20 PM
Too late for a macpass? ThagsanaR First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 09-05-2010 12:09 AM
Horizons. Is it to late? Patryk01 Financial Aid 1 08-04-2010 03:11 PM
It's Late!! ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-29-2008 12:14 AM

Late

Old 08-18-2014 at 12:34 PM   #1
mrrm21

Liked: 0 Times

Late
Can you be late to classes? Silly question but haven't even thought about how that works..
Old 08-18-2014 at 12:40 PM   #2
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrm21 View Post
Can you be late to classes? Silly question but haven't even thought about how that works..
You can be late to everything. I showed up to a programming lab 2 hours late once and the TA didn't even care.
Old 08-18-2014 at 02:47 PM   #3
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

There is no attendance in classes but tutorials may have attendance. The only penalty you will get is getting stared at by everyone for arriving late if the doors are at the front.
Old 08-18-2014 at 04:26 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Classes = no attendance. Tutorials you just need to sign the sheet sometime during it or be there during attendance at the start (depends on the class and if it is required)
Old 08-18-2014 at 04:36 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

It's rude and can be disruptive to the prof and other students depending on the layout of the classroom. Sometimes the prof will single out students who come in late. You'll miss any important announcements since those are typically at the beginning of class, as well as some of the material depending how late you come. If the class uses iClickers for marks, you'll miss that as well. If it's a full class, you'll have trouble finding a seat (which may sound ridiculous but I've seen people sitting on the stairs in BSB 147). If it's a lab, you might not be allowed to start the lab or get docked lab performance marks. If it's a tutorial, there might be attendance taken as well as a portion of your grade for attendance/participation.
Old 08-18-2014 at 07:04 PM   #6
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
If it's a full class, you'll have trouble finding a seat (which may sound ridiculous but I've seen people sitting on the stairs in BSB 147). If it's a lab, you might not be allowed to start the lab or get docked lab performance marks. If it's a tutorial, there might be attendance taken as well as a portion of your grade for attendance/participation.
Even if the class isn't completely full, you may have difficulty finding a seat because people don't understand the logic of moving towards the middle when they are the first to enter the room and because apparently the annoying habit of "seat-saving" that is present in kindergartens the world over rears its' ugly head in university lecture halls.

With regard to labs, you will not be allowed to make up time missed when completing a lab. If the time expires with you work incomplete, you will be graded accoringly, in addition to the loss of lab performance marks, which can be worth up to 30% of each lab.

This is particularly true in upper-year labs, where the lab activity itself will often require the entire period and you will be expected to perform the procedure from memory.

If you are late enough to a lab that you are not permitted to start it, you typically fail the lab as labs are often full to cpacaity and there isn't room to do "make-up" sessions. In some science courses, completing AND passing EACH lab is a requirement for passing the course and thus you would fail the course regardless of your grades in the other sections.

As for tutorials, attendance and participation may be worth up to 20% of your final grade (usually 10). A 10-point difference can be worth three grade points (i.e. a full letter grade). Don't throw them away, as lateness is rarely tolerated. I have had TAs who will close the door at the start of a tutorial, so they can more easily identfy tardy students in order to take away their attendance mark.

You can avoid lateness by following some simple tips:

1) It takes almost the entire period between classes to cross campus - avoid booking consecutive classes on opposite sides of campus.

2) Plan your breaks - Don't take washroom/fountain/social breaks when you ahve to get to your next class immediately. Use empty periods following a class for that.

3) Use office hours/Aveneue discussion boards - Waiting for a prof to answer a question at the end of a class is largely pointless. There is usually a large crowd and profs may need to leave quickly, either for another commitment of their own or the need to vacate the lecture for the next class. Often your questions will either not be answered at all, or answered unsatisfactorily, with a reminder to drop by office hours. Office hours are generally poorly attended, so you have a much better chance of getting the time you need. If you have a class conflict wih office hours, most professors will make appointments, but you must keep them. Avenue discussion boards are useful (especially for administrative questions and are ususally monitored by the prof or TAs. Other students can be helpful too.
Old 08-18-2014 at 07:25 PM   #7
RSK1

Liked: 10 Times

Honestly for 12 grand a year take your time. I've seen people come in at the last 15min of class.

The best advice I heard came from a prof who said "why are you running? the university isn't going anywhere". They get monkeys to plan the courses seriously, I have 5 classes in a row and the buildings are ITB to Togo to BSB to MDCL to JHE. Classes will be half empty by midterms anyways so don't stress about seating. And sit where every you want, I always sit at ends because if i'm going to make it in time from ITB to Togo between classes I cant wait in the middle of the row for everyone to get out and still make it on time.

If you're lucky you might even get one of the profs who themselves come late 5 - 10min each class.
Old 08-18-2014 at 09:05 PM   #8
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK1 View Post
Honestly for 12 grand a year take your time. I've seen people come in at the last 15min of class.
Does your program cost 12 grand a year?

I would make the opposite argument, for so much money I wouldn't want to be late, get as much out of the classes as you can.
Some smaller classes may take attendance, and even if they dont the prof will know if you are always late or not and may be less than impressed.
It was definitely this way in my upper year math courses. Out of 12 people, 8 would show up regularly, and you could tell that when the others rarely showed up the prof didn't have much patience with them when they were lost.

Its disruptive to be late, especially if you have to pull all your materials out of you bag, or set up/plug in your laptop. Its best to be early if you can.
Old 08-18-2014 at 09:26 PM   #9
RSK1

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
Does your program cost 12 grand a year?

I would make the opposite argument, for so much money I wouldn't want to be late, get as much out of the classes as you can.
Some smaller classes may take attendance, and even if they dont the prof will know if you are always late or not and may be less than impressed.
It was definitely this way in my upper year math courses. Out of 12 people, 8 would show up regularly, and you could tell that when the others rarely showed up the prof didn't have much patience with them when they were lost.

Its disruptive to be late, especially if you have to pull all your materials out of you bag, or set up/plug in your laptop. Its best to be early if you can.
Engineering does, specially first year is the most expensive.

And I agree, I hate being late but when I have 2 classes in a row at opposite ends of the campus which was arranged by the university, I think people can be a little more understanding . For smaller classes yes you're right, the profs will remember you and have little patience; but, for large classes like OP will be in first year engineering, who cares. Profs goal is to eliminate 30 percent of the class anyways, I don't think they'll specifically remember you.