MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daily game Oct 01 : Legend of JOHNNY Chad Daily Game 0 10-01-2011 04:14 AM
Daily game Mar 01 : Legend of the Gold Robot Chad Daily Game 0 03-01-2011 04:18 AM
iPhone or HTC Legend UNLOCKED blackdragon Computers & Tech 29 07-05-2010 05:42 PM

The Legend of Korra

Old 06-25-2012 at 05:12 PM   #61
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelve Chars View Post
If a children's show is popular among older audiences does it mean it's no longer a children's show? To me that sounds like an extension of the "it's good because it's popular" argument, and you don't need to look far to see how bunk that argument is.

Rather, I want to know about a show's "quality and what its actually about", as you put it. What about the show makes you think it transcends its target demographic and makes it worth watching for people of our age?
I never started watching Avatar because I heard about it from someone or saw it advertised. I just saw it on TV one day and started watching. And after watching the entire series, I'd say it's popular because it's good, really good, not that it's good because it's popular.

Despite being targeted towards a 8-15 age demographic, there's a lot of mature (meaning very well developed, and deep) themes behind it. It's not dumbed down because it's a kids show, which is unlike the vast majority of kid-catered programming. Of course there's some goofiness and stuff, but it's not a pain. In fact, now thinking about it, the perfect comparison to Avatar would be Toy Story. It comes across entirely as a kids show (having never seen it), but I'm sure anyone who watched it would say it's anything but.

It has some of the best character development of any TV series I've seen, great continuity, incredibly rich and fleshed out world and culture, amazing (non-mainstream) music, and it really connects with the human condition on many levels. At times, an episode will leave you thinking about who you are as a person, and what you're doing with your life.

And all of this is coming after having completed watching the series less the series less than a year ago (so, at the age of 19). I cannot stand most of what is being shown of television today (both kids programming and "adult" shows). It's become a shallow, mass-produced, lackluster industry, for the most part. Avatar: The Last Airbender is a diamond in the rough.

As for The Legend of Korra, I personally find there's a little less depth and that the writers geared a bit too much towards what kids would expect to see on TV these days (some cheesy romance that exists just for the sake of being there), but that's because it's a miniseries, having to build and complete an entire story in 12 episodes. Still, it shines, especially after the season finale. The music is incredibly, incredibly unique and amazing, and considering the target demographic, really stands out. I'm sure it'll open up the music horizons of many kids and adults alike. The art direction was also phenomenal. Compared to literally every single animated TV show I've seen, Korra blows them out of the water. The team did not cut corners just because it's a kids show, and many kids can't appreciate the effort that goes into making something so masterful.

Of course, this doesn't really mean anything to you until you actually see what I mean. I have a much greater appreciation for the show (The Legend of Korra) because I saw 3 seasons of Avatar: The Last Airbender. I don't think watching the first episode of Korra alone will get you hooked. Plus, I think it would be a much richer experience if you see Avatar: The Last Airbender before it. Unfortunately, watching the first season of Avatar won't do you any good either; it would be painful to watch being someone with your mindset (no offense), since it really only gets started a little into the second season.

So...there's an explanation.

Last edited by Yogurt : 06-25-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Faer, TheBrickWall like this.
Old 06-25-2012 at 09:23 PM   #62
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

EDIT: nvm 12char
Old 06-25-2012 at 10:27 PM   #63
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

Thanks for taking the time to write a thought out response, I think I've got a good idea about what the show is about now. When you say Toy Story is a good comparison, I think I know what you're getting at.

britb, drpatel like this.
Old 06-26-2012 at 05:04 PM   #64
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

On the...well, not opposite end of the spectrum, there's shows like Simpsons-a timeless classic on its own, with many MANY adult themes but since it's based around a dysfunctional cartoon family who have yellow skin and often do unspeakably horrible and hilarious things to one another, it's also adored by kids around the world. OK fine, maybe not the best example of family-friendly material but I grew up watching it and I turned out just fine...