Les Prince '08 Chad Les Prince Forum 13 08-25-2008 06:16 PM
Les Prince Shreya Les Prince Forum 5 08-03-2008 10:28 PM
Les Prince annci Les Prince Forum 22 07-11-2008 12:24 AM

Les Prince help!

Old 05-08-2011 at 02:44 PM   #1
thunder

Liked: 1 Time

Les Prince help!
Heyy! So yesterday I went to [email protected] and I really liked Les Prince. I was wondering what I would have to put as my selections that will give me a slightly higher chance at getting a double room there. Also, does anyone have any general inputs about Les Prince? Is it easy to get to meet people?
Thanks!!
Old 05-08-2011 at 02:45 PM   #2
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Is there still a double room with washroom option? I think that's what my roommate and I picked to get into it.

Les Prince is excellent. The rooms are really big, and you don't have to share a washroom with many people (maybe we're just high maintenance, but that was the reason we chose it). In that sense, you're getting the traditional dorm experience with the added bonus of a private washroom.

A lot of people complain about it being far from most classes. If you've seen it and like it, I assume you've already figured out that it's worth the hike. It's really not as far as people think, either.

It's easy to meet people in any residence. If you're attending Welcome Week, you'll meet everyone on your floor and probably have a few friends by the end of the week. Even if you don't, you'll meet people in your common room if you choose to hang out in there, or in the study rooms.

The only con I can think of in Les Prince may not even be applicable anymore, but in my first year they turned the air conditioning off at the beginning of October. My room (which was facing the football field - if you're facing the forest, it's not so bad) was outrageously hot for the rest of the year. My roommate and I left our windows open all day and night, even in December and January. It's worth bringing a fan, if you can.

I hope you get into it! It's an awesome residence.

Last edited by alh24 : 05-08-2011 at 02:52 PM.

thunder says thanks to alh24 for this post.
Old 05-08-2011 at 03:59 PM   #3
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

I was in Les Prince last year. I absolutely loved it. The only con is that it is FAR from most classes. But who goes to lectures ?
Old 05-08-2011 at 04:22 PM   #4
thunder

hopefully I can get it! total lottery system tho so I'll try not to get too attached in case I dont get it
Old 05-08-2011 at 05:35 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

another con is the relatively long walking distance to commons (eating area)
Old 05-08-2011 at 05:53 PM   #6
thunder

im a pretty speedy walker , i think ill live lol
Old 05-08-2011 at 06:11 PM   #7
allstarme

Liked: 17 Times

I lived in Les Prince last year and I loooved my room. You've already seen them so I won't say much about them. Also at night when the common rooms on all the floors have their lights on, you can see the rainbow spectrum colour scheme from the outside haha

Distance was really a con, but a bike speeds things up so much. Unfortunately our bike room is SUCH a mess, and some people like to put their bikes right at the entrance. @[email protected] LP needs more bike racks, and away from the dumpster..

But even if you don't get LP you really shouldn't be bummed at all. I spent a lot of my time in other residences, and even though LP is the nicer building, this fact really doesn't bother anyone after the initial "OMG NICE ROOM" etc. All my friends outside of LP loved their residences and it's really the people who make the experience (Y) [also bathroom talk is an extremely efficient way to get to know your floormates lol]

Good luck!

thunder says thanks to allstarme for this post.
Old 05-08-2011 at 07:27 PM   #8
guildenstern

Liked: Liked 6 Times

Les Prince is my first choice for res as well
I know at Queen's, if you have allergies, you're guaranteed a single with a washroom... I was wondering if there is anything similar to this at Mac?
Old 05-08-2011 at 07:30 PM   #9
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guildenstern View Post
Les Prince is my first choice for res as well
I know at Queen's, if you have allergies, you're guaranteed a single with a washroom... I was wondering if there is anything similar to this at Mac?
That's a really good question. My friend had a peanut allergy and disclosed it on her residence application form, and was placed in a double room with someone who also had a peanut allergy. Another friend of mine has too many food allergies to count, and was placed in a suite so that she could be more in control of the food she ate. I don't think it guarantees you a single room with a washroom, but they definitely take into consideration ways to make your time in residence easier, if it's feasible.

Do you have to send any medical forms for that, to verify you have medical conditions?
Old 05-08-2011 at 07:34 PM   #10
guildenstern

Liked: Liked 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
That's a really good question. My friend had a peanut allergy and disclosed it on her residence application form, and was placed in a double room with someone who also had a peanut allergy. Another friend of mine has too many food allergies to count, and was placed in a suite so that she could be more in control of the food she ate. I don't think it guarantees you a single room with a washroom, but they definitely take into consideration ways to make your time in residence easier, if it's feasible.

Do you have to send any medical forms for that, to verify you have medical conditions?
Oooh thanks for the info!
I think you have to fill out the "Special Accommodation" form, and you need your doctor to verify your allergy and sign the form.
Old 05-08-2011 at 07:49 PM   #11
Bug324

Liked: 25 Times

Les Prince is the only rez with double with washroom, right? I'm guaranteed my first choice of room type, and I really want to be placed in Les Prince.
Old 05-08-2011 at 08:04 PM   #12
thunder

wait, how are u guaranteed?
Old 05-08-2011 at 08:08 PM   #13
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug324 View Post
Les Prince is the only rez with double with washroom, right? I'm guaranteed my first choice of room type, and I really want to be placed in Les Prince.
My roommate had first choice and we went for double room with washroom, and were placed in Les Prince. To my understanding, Les Prince is the only residence that fits into this category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder View Post
wait, how are u guaranteed?
People with an exceptionally high admission average (I think it's 95% or above) were given letters stating that they could choose their room type.
Old 05-08-2011 at 08:10 PM   #14
thunder

i have a 96 but i never got one... although i havent accepted my offer on ouac yet either, could that be why?
Old 05-08-2011 at 08:13 PM   #15
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder View Post
i have a 96 but i never got one... although i havent accepted my offer on ouac yet either, could that be why?
My roommate got her letter earlier than this, and she didn't accept her offer until late May. Were your marks that high at the midterm? I have friends whose marks were above that at the end of the year, but they weren't when those letters were being sent, so they didn't get first choice.

Also, I know the university has a lot more people being admitted this year than in past years, so it's quite possible that the average required to get first choice has gone up.