MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Commerce 1E03 Group Report Sample Project? andrewjdg Academics 17 02-11-2011 06:59 PM
How to deal with horrible group members on a project? Alchemist11 Academics 42 11-06-2010 02:54 PM
Horror Movies! blackdragon General Discussion 31 08-31-2009 07:47 PM

Let's hear your group project horror stories.

Old 11-29-2011 at 09:58 AM   #31
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiemac View Post
I had a project with one other person for a multimedia course. We had to design a website about an artist with legit research, whatever. Because we both lived off campus and not near each other at all, it was easiest to simply split the work into research and website. It worked well because English wasn't her first language and she was a whiz with software. We had 6 weeks to do it. At the 3 week point I asked if we could meet somewhere, that I'd meet her wherever she wanted or the library on campus. "It's under control." At 2 weeks, we had a mandatory mtg with prof who told me I'd done too much research (which I knew but I'd rather have to cut and edit than add more) but the technical issues were long and drawn out. After that I kept asking to meet, she couldn't do it. Too busy. That semester I had Monday night and Tuesday night classes. This class was Tuesday. On the Monday before the Tuesdsay it was due, I got out of class at 10 to 13 voice mails of increasing urgency that she needed me NOW and I had to go THERE and FIX it all with her. Needless to say I sent her a text and told her that was impossible and I was going home to bed.

I got an A, she got a C and I didn't even broil her on the "partner evaluation form." Sometimes profs get it right but it was a stressful project.
You're lucky your prof was so understanding. A lot will just say "Tough, you all get the same mark" :(
Old 11-29-2011 at 10:49 AM   #32
manap3001
Account Locked

Liked: 4 Times

I've always been a horrible group member, is this why?

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...6#p ost292256
Old 11-29-2011 at 11:28 AM   #33
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
Because I'd like castrate a few people right now, but that is illegal and would land me in jail. So I rant, and hope for commiseration.

Group member #1: Is perfect, on time, work complete. I do not appreciate people like this enough.

Group member #2: Handed work in late 3 times. Each time it was missing a gigantic portion of what she was supposed to do. The second time she handed in stuff, I would open the attachment, look at it, headdesk, text her to tell her she was missing stuff, and have her send it again. She sent this same thing 3 times in the space of 1-2 hours, and then I gave up. ****. She also handed me copypasta and then tried to make excuses for it. Who the **** does this. And then she bitches at me behind my back to the other group members, when I have done nothing wrong but try to maintain deadlines and, you know, make sure our project is actually complete. ****.

Group member #3: Claims to have been a former MD in France. Seems to have the knowledge to back this up. HOWEVER. Has handed work in late 4 ****ing times, despite having about 4 weeks before the first deadline to do his work. Claims that his 4 month-old son gets sick the night before every deadline. EVERY DEADLINE. While I try to understand that his situation is vastly different from mine, he had 4 weeks. Former MD, really? I call bullshit. Listed wikipedia as a reference. Seems to not understand the words PLEASE PUT YOUR REFERENCES IN APA FORMAT BEFORE YOU SEND THEM TO ME despite me saying them 3+ times. I very much doubt this whole HERPDERP I WAS AN MD thing, makes no sense.

Alternative red part: TRUST NO ONE.
Hey, I WAS an MD in France and my kid is always sick... don't you feel bad.

Old 11-29-2011 at 11:35 AM   #34
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

I've actually had pretty good luck with groups.. I've been the carry for a lot of them though, unfortunately. I once had two group members just drop the course... thankfully the TA was lenient in the marking.
Old 11-29-2011 at 11:37 AM   #35
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I've actually had pretty good luck with groups.. I've been the carry for a lot of them though, unfortunately. I once had two group members just drop the course... thankfully the TA was lenient in the marking.
In Political Science, we always have people from different political spectrums, which can make things interesting to say the least
Old 11-29-2011 at 01:47 PM   #36
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 327 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
Group member #3: Claims to have been a former MD in France. Seems to have the knowledge to back this up. HOWEVER. Has handed work in late 4 ****ing times, despite having about 4 weeks before the first deadline to do his work. Claims that his 4 month-old son gets sick the night before every deadline. EVERY DEADLINE. While I try to understand that his situation is vastly different from mine, he had 4 weeks. Former MD, really? I call bullshit. Listed wikipedia as a reference. Seems to not understand the words PLEASE PUT YOUR REFERENCES IN APA FORMAT BEFORE YOU SEND THEM TO ME despite me saying them 3+ times. I very much doubt this whole HERPDERP I WAS AN MD thing, makes no sense.

Alternative red part: TRUST NO ONE.
UPDATE:

Group member #3 "fixed" his part by removing the wikipedia link. I swear, that's all he did, removing the link. WHAT ABOUT APA FORMAT WHICH I'VE REPEATED TO YOU AT LEAST 4 TIMES, YOU ****WIT.
Old 11-29-2011 at 02:05 PM   #37
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7rlFpUhziE&t =3m13s take it easy!
Old 11-29-2011 at 02:16 PM   #38
thebeetles

Liked: Liked 7 Times