MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dr. Horrible in 8-Bit drhorrible Movies & Television 4 11-02-2010 12:32 AM
Looking for band members!!! jubilantx Music 52 10-13-2010 02:57 AM
Horrible Download Speeds RememberTwce Computers & Tech 51 09-20-2010 10:58 PM
MacInsiders Surpasses 10,000 Members Chad MacInsiders Announcements 7 07-07-2010 08:33 PM
MacInsiders Update To All Members Chad MacInsiders Announcements 9 06-18-2009 02:52 PM

How to deal with horrible group members on a project?

Old 11-05-2010 at 11:05 PM   #1
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

How to deal with horrible group members on a project?
Presentation, paper etc...
Old 11-05-2010 at 11:15 PM   #2
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

im accustomed to having great group members but in the commerce faculty its a rare occurrence. I ended up doing the entire report and the powerpoint.
Old 11-05-2010 at 11:16 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Depends on the format.

Do you mark each other? Is there a specific component that each person is supposed to do? Who marks the assignment?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 11-05-2010 at 11:22 PM   #4
NowHere

Liked: 14 Times

Do your best to make sure your own work is of top quality and be knowledgeable, positive and supportive towards your group members.

jackiemac likes this.
Old 11-05-2010 at 11:23 PM   #5
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Well, for example, I had a group presentation recently.

I found the research article, I found other articles, I made the powerpoint, I made the works cited, I did the abstract, summary of work division, I told my group members what to say, I presented my part, and they read off my 'script' - which wasn't meant to be read off of anyway.

They're going to get the same mark as me, which happens to be the highest in our tutorial.

EDIT: Really? I have to be positive and supportive to my group members? Okay, it's great that they got the highest mark in tutorial for all their hard work!
Old 11-05-2010 at 11:24 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post

I found the research article, I found other articles, I made the powerpoint, I made the works cited, I did the abstract, summary of work division, I told my group members what to say, I presented my part, and they read off my 'script' - which wasn't meant to be read off of anyway.

They're going to get the same mark as me, which happens to be the highest in our tutorial.
This is what happens in the real world all the time, young grasshopper.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 11-05-2010 at 11:25 PM   #7
dhgn
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 3 Times

theres no one way to deal with horrible grp members
when im grouped with some douchebag i just do the whole project myself..
kinda happens all the time i guess

i dunno how horrible ur grp member can be but ive had worse than u can imagine
Old 11-05-2010 at 11:27 PM   #8
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
This is what happens in the real world all the time, young grasshopper.
Yeah, but cheating happens all the time too...doesn't mean I should be trying to cheat right?

...Right?
Old 11-05-2010 at 11:28 PM   #9
NowHere

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Yeah, but cheating happens all the time too...doesn't mean I should be trying to cheat right?

...Right?
Champions happen all the time too. Be one.
Old 11-05-2010 at 11:29 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:

...Right?
Nope. It's annoying that there are tons of d-bags in our society.

You can try talking to the TA. If you have proof that you did all of the work they may be able to arrange something. They may also say no, it depends on who they are.

Old 11-05-2010 at 11:29 PM   #11
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Just kick their asses and make them obey you.
Old 11-05-2010 at 11:30 PM   #12
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:

EDIT: Really? I have to be positive and supportive to my group members? Okay, it's great that they got the highest mark in tutorial for all their hard work!
If this is the same life sci 2a03 presentation i did last week you should have held over your partners head the division of work that you had to write up, should have insinuated that you would absolutely NOT give him credit for anything he didnt do.
Old 11-05-2010 at 11:30 PM   #13
dhgn
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:

cmon this happens all the time
i had this grp member who did not attend any of the grp meetings and he ended up sharing the same mark
wenever this happens i do my best to get my grp members to be involved
u no we're not kids anymore.. they should at least understand that i actually care about my education
Old 11-05-2010 at 11:32 PM   #14
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Lol, the problem is they didn't know they had to hand in the group summary page or whatnot. I'm not exaggerating when I say the first time one of my group members knew what he was presenting was 10 minutes after the tutorial in which we were presenting had started.

But yeah, on the summary page I wrote that I did everything, and the other group members did nothing. But my point is wtf is the point of writing that when it's not going to change anything?

And why the **** are we forced to do this in partners/groups? **** off and let me do it on my own when I can do a better job than the rest of my tutorial combined.
Old 11-05-2010 at 11:36 PM   #15
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Lol, the problem is they didn't know they had to hand in the group summary page or whatnot. I'm not exaggerating when I say the first time one of my group members knew what he was presenting was 10 minutes after the tutorial in which we were presenting had started.

But yeah, on the summary page I wrote that I did everything, and the other group members did nothing. But my point is wtf is the point of writing that when it's not going to change anything?

And why the **** are we forced to do this in partners/groups? **** off and let me do it on my own when I can do a better job than the rest of my tutorial combined.
lol i think thats the end of all this group stuff anyways