MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dr. Horrible in 8-Bit drhorrible Movies & Television 4 11-02-2010 12:32 AM
Looking for band members!!! jubilantx Music 52 10-13-2010 02:57 AM
Horrible Download Speeds RememberTwce Computers & Tech 51 09-20-2010 10:58 PM
MacInsiders Surpasses 10,000 Members Chad MacInsiders Announcements 7 07-07-2010 08:33 PM
MacInsiders Update To All Members Chad MacInsiders Announcements 9 06-18-2009 02:52 PM

How to deal with horrible group members on a project?

Old 11-05-2010 at 11:38 PM   #16
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Lol, the problem is they didn't know they had to hand in the group summary page or whatnot. I'm not exaggerating when I say the first time one of my group members knew what he was presenting was 10 minutes after the tutorial in which we were presenting had started.

But yeah, on the summary page I wrote that I did everything, and the other group members did nothing. But my point is wtf is the point of writing that when it's not going to change anything?

And why the **** are we forced to do this in partners/groups? **** off and let me do it on my own when I can do a better job than the rest of my tutorial combined.
Group learning apparently teaches you how to work well with others. The problem being, in nearly every case I've had to work in groups, at least one member coasts their way through. This is why if you work in groups I think you should be able to evaluate your group mates, and the evaluation determine their final mark.

You shouldn't have told the group member about the presentation. So when the TA asked why they weren't presenting you could pull the dick move and say they didn't know anything about it.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 11-05-2010 at 11:40 PM   #17
NowHere

Liked: 14 Times

People coast in the work force too and people are not always paid what they are worth.
Old 11-05-2010 at 11:42 PM   #18
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

True. But they aren't given a big shpeel (how do you spell this word anyway?) about how plagarism is bad and everything you write is somehow plagarism, and then give you a group project where people don't do any work and get the best marks for it. I'm not even annoyed that they did well, I'm suppose I'm more annoyed that I did poorly but I couldn't do much about it.
Old 11-05-2010 at 11:58 PM   #19
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
True. But they aren't given a big shpeel (how do you spell this word anyway?) about how plagarism is bad and everything you write is somehow plagarism, and then give you a group project where people don't do any work and get the best marks for it. I'm not even annoyed that they did well, I'm suppose I'm more annoyed that I did poorly but I couldn't do much about it.
Sadly, there always is that 1 or 2 people in any group who don't pull their weight.. But since it was your entire group besides you, I would really try talking to your TA.. If nothing happens, at least you tried. And hey, on the bright side you did well, regardless of who did the work. I know that doesn't make it much better, but there's isn't much you can do about it now really..

Btw, it's spelled spiel (German)

Alchemist11 says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 11-06-2010 at 12:00 AM   #20
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

"If my group would get me to do all the work, I would say screw the group! Only I deserve the mark. I'm the only one doing all the work, after all. People respect that, and they can and will sympathize."

Spoiler: (Highlight the grey box to see the hidden message.)
...is what I would say on an online forum, but IRL, it would be more like, "...ok... "
Old 11-06-2010 at 12:03 AM   #21
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Its all about the 1 man team.

IMO, having a group holds me back. Conforming to someone elses' time line sucks

britb likes this.
Old 11-06-2010 at 12:23 AM   #22
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
Its all about the 1 man team.

IMO, having a group holds me back. Conforming to someone elses' time line sucks
+1000

Recently, had a project with presentation and I could have done the presentation a million times better without the group. I took over the Q&A to make sure they didn't mess anything up. Surprisingly, after I took over and wouldn't let them speak, that went well.
Old 11-06-2010 at 02:18 AM   #23
escape

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Lol, the problem is they didn't know they had to hand in the group summary page or whatnot. I'm not exaggerating when I say the first time one of my group members knew what he was presenting was 10 minutes after the tutorial in which we were presenting had started.

But yeah, on the summary page I wrote that I did everything, and the other group members did nothing. But my point is wtf is the point of writing that when it's not going to change anything?

And why the **** are we forced to do this in partners/groups? **** off and let me do it on my own when I can do a better job than the rest of my tutorial combined.
lol wow.
its highschool all over again.
Old 11-06-2010 at 08:58 AM   #24
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape View Post
lol wow.
its highschool all over again.
I know! You'd think people would grow up and take responsibility, that it would be better at university .. But no.
Old 11-06-2010 at 09:28 AM   #25
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Quote:
I would really try talking to your TA.. If nothing happens, at least you tried. And hey, on the bright side you did well, regardless of who did the work.
Well, we didn't do 'well', that's why I was annoyed. In other words, this was a free mark booster to balance out the term paper but for me it's going to lower my mark significantly, which means I have to get near 100% on my term paper to keep the mark I'm at now which is going to be a lot harder to do.

And I spoke to the TA, I told him what was up before we even presented, and he said he'll try to mark it individually but the problem is our lovely professor wants the marks to be group marks not individual marks, so there's not much he can do.
Old 11-06-2010 at 09:34 AM   #26
NowHere

When you lose, don't lose the lesson.
Old 11-06-2010 at 09:57 AM   #27
escape

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Well, we didn't do 'well', that's why I was annoyed. In other words, this was a free mark booster to balance out the term paper but for me it's going to lower my mark significantly, which means I have to get near 100% on my term paper to keep the mark I'm at now which is going to be a lot harder to do.

And I spoke to the TA, I told him what was up before we even presented, and he said he'll try to mark it individually but the problem is our lovely professor wants the marks to be group marks not individual marks, so there's not much he can do.
how many members were in your group?
Old 11-06-2010 at 09:58 AM   #28
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowHere View Post
When you lose, don't lose the lesson.
>_>

Care to elaborate?

EDIT:

Quote:
how many members were in your group?
3, including me.
Old 11-06-2010 at 10:06 AM   #29
NowHere

Quote:
>_>

Care to elaborate?

EDIT:

3, including me.
You learned something from this experience. Don't forget that.
Old 11-06-2010 at 10:19 AM   #30
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowHere View Post
You learned something from this experience. Don't forget that.

All he learned was that [insert names of groups members] suck in terms of responsibility. Not exactly a new thing, considering we've all had shit group members in the past. Also, learning a lesson would imply that he did something wrong, therefore the end result is something he should take away from. But the chances of a similar scenario coming up again is very likely, because things like these are beyond our control.