MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dr. Horrible in 8-Bit drhorrible Movies & Television 4 11-02-2010 12:32 AM
Looking for band members!!! jubilantx Music 52 10-13-2010 02:57 AM
Horrible Download Speeds RememberTwce Computers & Tech 51 09-20-2010 10:58 PM
MacInsiders Surpasses 10,000 Members Chad MacInsiders Announcements 7 07-07-2010 08:33 PM
MacInsiders Update To All Members Chad MacInsiders Announcements 9 06-18-2009 02:52 PM

How to deal with horrible group members on a project?

Old 11-06-2010 at 10:22 AM   #31
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowHere View Post
You learned something from this experience. Don't forget that.
Yes: Group projects are bs.

Alchemist11 says thanks to britb for this post.
Old 11-06-2010 at 10:27 AM   #32
NowHere

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
All he learned was that [insert names of groups members] suck in terms of responsibility. Not exactly a new thing, considering we've all had shit group members in the past. Also, learning a lesson would imply that he did something wrong, therefore the end result is something he should take away from. But the chances of a similar scenario coming up again is very likely, because things like these are beyond our control.
Oh no my dear. There is much to learn from a situation that is deeper than surface appearance. And I don't believe that learning a lesson implies you did something wrong. People learn lessons through observations, is this to say observation is them doing something wrong?

In the future, one may be faced with an important decision. The lesson learned may guide them.
Old 11-06-2010 at 10:57 AM   #33
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Oh no my dear. There is much to learn from a situation that is deeper than surface appearance. And I don't believe that learning a lesson implies you did something wrong. People learn lessons through observations, is this to say observation is them doing something wrong?

In the future, one may be faced with an important decision. The lesson learned may guide them.

So what did he learn? I hope this isn't coming off as rude, I genuinely want to know.
Old 11-06-2010 at 11:00 AM   #34
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

I'm also curious what I learned.

I didn't actually 'learn' anything in terms of what I presented (I already knew my topic quite well). I wasn't able to stop them from doing nothing, so I didn't learn any techniques to compensate for something like this, and everyone here has basically stated that sometimes there's nothing you can do.
Old 11-06-2010 at 11:04 AM   #35
NowHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
I'm also curious what I learned.

I didn't actually 'learn' anything in terms of what I presented (I already knew my topic quite well). I wasn't able to stop them from doing nothing, so I didn't learn any techniques to compensate for something like this, and everyone here has basically stated that sometimes there's nothing you can do.
I can't tell you what you learned. But I can tell you that before you can learn, you must make the decision that you have learned something.
Old 11-06-2010 at 11:10 AM   #36
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
I can't tell you what you learned. But I can tell you that before you can learn, you must make the decision that you have learned something.

I understand what you're getting at, but this isn't what you really said in you previous post. You insinuated that he had learned something.

Also, simply deciding that you have learned something before actually learning it can be frustrating because what if you don't learn anything? Then you're simply pushing yourself to look for soemething that isnt there.
Old 11-06-2010 at 11:11 AM   #37
NowHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
I understand what you're getting at, but this isn't what you really said in you previous post. You insinuated that he had learned something.

Also, simply deciding that you have learned something before actually learning it can be frustrating because what if you don't learn anything? Then you're simply pushing yourself to look for soemething that isnt there.
There's always something there.
Old 11-06-2010 at 11:12 AM   #38
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Jesus it's like your goal on these forums is to reenact The Matrix Revolutions.

crazyfree, lorend, mary357 like this.
Old 11-06-2010 at 11:13 AM   #39
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Jesus it's like your goal on these forums is to reenact The Matrix Revolutions.

Crying.

/12chars
Old 11-06-2010 at 12:14 PM   #40
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
Its all about the 1 man team.
There ain't no I in team!! But there is a T!!

SilentWalker says thanks to bcars for this post.

mary357, REPLEKIA/. like this.
Old 11-06-2010 at 01:23 PM   #41
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

This conversation just turned way too philosophical for me.. But anyway, since this the course structure (unfortunately), I would just put it behind you and work hard onthe term paper to improve your mark. But I'm sure you knew that.. Also for the future, try and get tutorials with friends maybe? Or talk to people at the beginning of the term to get an idea of their work ethic and such? That's all that can be done at this point really :(
Old 11-06-2010 at 02:30 PM   #42
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
There's always something there.
Do you realize most of your posts have no substance?
Old 11-06-2010 at 02:54 PM   #43
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
This conversation just turned way too philosophical for me.. But anyway, since this the course structure (unfortunately), I would just put it behind you and work hard onthe term paper to improve your mark. But I'm sure you knew that.. Also for the future, try and get tutorials with friends maybe? Or talk to people at the beginning of the term to get an idea of their work ethic and such? That's all that can be done at this point really :(
Thanks Sara

Yeah, to be honest I didn't know anyone in my tutorial at the start of the term, and these were the guys I was sitting near. Their work ethic was never that good but I just assumed its because there was nothing big (i.e., no project) to do until now.

Oh well, I suppose sometimes there's nothing you can do.