MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Vote Counting Process lsmith MacInsiders Announcements 2 11-07-2009 06:24 PM
Time Management: Responsibility, What’s That? lorend First Year Success 4 06-29-2009 01:32 AM
Obama's Democratic Convention Speech - wow Chad Politics 4 09-09-2008 10:32 AM

A Letter from the MSU VP Finance - Corporate Responsibility & the Democratic Process

Old 01-29-2009 at 10:01 PM   #30
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff
Program: English and Classics
Year: Third
Residence: Edwards

Liked: 23 Times
Joey,

It is under review because it was reported.

It will be back up when all of the exec have had a chance to look at it and give their opinion on the complaint.

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 01-29-2009 at 10:04 PM   #31
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans
Program: Political Science
Year: Other

Liked: 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosas View Post
Joey,

It is under review because it was reported.

It will be back up when all of the exec have had a chance to look at it and give their opinion on the complaint.
Understood. I can't see anything wrong with it.

It's good to know there are processes in place. I would suggest, if I may be so daring, the site inform the readers of future reviews of this nature.

- Joey
Old 01-29-2009 at 10:06 PM   #32
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

We will take your suggestion into consideration!

Old 01-29-2009 at 10:08 PM   #33
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia
Year: Alumni

Liked: 1,731 Times
@Joey: We're working on a way to show posts being under review from complaints/reporting. At the moment moderators see the posts as requiring review, but the author of the post and regular users see the post as completely hidden.

@Alex: Your post has been reinstated. While opinionated, it was found not to violate any rules. Since Ian's letter is in response to your original piece in The Sil, we welcome further discussion and a chance for both yourself and Ian to give further counter opinions.
Old 01-29-2009 at 11:00 PM   #34
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia

Liked: 1,731 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsmash26 View Post
The Brock Press uses College Publisher for their website. I would not advise The Silhouette to use this third-party system.

The Varsity, University of Toronto, uses the Canadian University Press MassAudience system. It's not a bad system and it is getting better.

The Ubyssey, the student paper at University of British Columbia, powers their website using Wordpress (the same software that is used by The Sillhouette).

The Silhouette is using Wordpress to power the current website. This a step in the right direction. I'm a strong believer that Wordpress will become the leading application for student newspaper websites. There is a group called CoPress in the United States which is building a cooperative network of student papers using Wordpress. Eventually, they will start building strong plugins and custom templates for student papers. This will make WP the best platform for student papers.

I really like Wordpress and think it's a perfect platform for a newspaper online. It is very organized for writing articles and categorizing them. I'd not recommend simply using the default Wordpress system for a paper however, you'd need to purchase a good 'magazine-style' theme so that the site functions more like a newspaper/magazine style site rather than a linear blog. Luckily there are dozens of really great quality magazine-style themes out there for Wordpress that can be used.
Old 01-29-2009 at 11:02 PM   #35
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans
Program: Political Science

Liked: 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I really like Wordpress and think it's a perfect platform for a newspaper online. It is very organized for writing articles and categorizing them. I'd not recommend simply using the default Wordpress system for a paper however, you'd need to purchase a good 'magazine-style' theme so that the site functions more like a newspaper/magazine style site rather than a linear blog. Luckily there are dozens of really great quality magazine-style themes out there for Wordpress that can be used.
The Memorial University newspaper is switching to Wordpress tonight. It seems to be where student papers are going.

- Joey
Old 01-30-2009 at 05:34 PM   #36
Alex McColl
Program: Commerce
Residence: Hedden/Whidden CA/Les Prince IRC God Father/Keyes

Liked: 11 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post

When VP elections come about, the candidates are put through a quite intense question period where the SRA members scrutinize the knowledge, experience or character presented by the candidate. They make supremely informed decisions about this. It is impossible for the general public to do so. Imagine you were a VP Candidate and lost a general election because your opponent was more likeable as a person, and put more time campaiging, when you are easily the more qualified person. These problems cannot happen, and as such the SRA is required to do it. They are forced to be there to listen to all parts of a candidate's platform, something that cannot happen in a general.

To be completely honest, the Presidential election can go to anyone who appears to be good because their job is to give the students what they want. The VPs are those who run the business, and should be removed from the political process.
Although I am a little happy I didn't win, since it allowed me to pursue the much higher paying job I now enjoy. I have to comment on this idea that it would be bad for VPs to be elected.

I would rather lose an election because the other party ran a better campaign than loose an SRA popularity contest. As for the comments regarding qualifications. I'd be happy to post my pre-election resume (which I handed out to the SRA at the time) right here if Ian would do the same. Perhaps then we could have an informal poll of the student body on who seems to have had the greater qualifications?

In all seriousness, I understand the logistics of VP elections. It would be exceedingly difficult to do outside the SRA. That is why the IRC elects its executives in a much similar way. However, since the outgoing IRC elects the VPs, as opposed to the incoming SRA, there is slightly less of an incentive to turn the election into the self serving popularity contest the SRA currently runs.

Last edited by Alex McColl : 01-30-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2009 at 06:28 PM   #37
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Origins Research Specialization

Liked: 352 Times
I assure you that in this case, it was not a popularity contest. done.
Old 01-30-2009 at 06:37 PM   #38
owenadam
Faculty: Arts & Science
Year: Fourth

Liked: 0 Times
I tried to wait the last three months, but I can't contain myself anymore.

I want to share with everyone the mantra that has kept me sane.

We are all, in this situation, children.

We're acting like children, conch shell and all. Its just only a matter of time before someone drops a boulder on someone else.

Also, its Friday.

Chris.Martin says thanks to owenadam for this post.
Old 01-30-2009 at 07:45 PM   #39
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Adam, I commend you for keeping it together for this long. I managed to fail miserably *sigh*

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-30-2009 at 08:12 PM   #40
deadpool
X-Man
Program: Fighting

Liked: 394 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex McColl View Post
Although I am a little happy I didn't win, since it allowed me to pursue the much higher paying job I now enjoy.
Oh good, shall I add this to the list of egotistical things you have said?

And let's think about this. One day it's about serving the students, the next day it's about the higher paying job you now enjoy? Make up your mind.

lorend, temara.brown all say thanks to deadpool for this post.
Old 01-30-2009 at 09:30 PM   #41
McIntyre
Program: Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 182 Times
Hi Alex,

I would like to make one thing abundantly clear. The candidate with the most qualifications, is not synonymous to the best candidate. These jobs, although they require a background understanding in their fiel, are jobs meant to represent students. As such, it is important to have a strong financial background for VP Finance, however, it is even more important to be personable, reliable and an advocate for students. I voted for Ian Finlay, as I felt that he embodied enough of the financial background, and much stronger skills and experience in representing students than yourself. I am sorry that you are unable to understand the importance of more than experience. I hope that I have helped you in understanding that you didn't lose because of a popularity contest. You lost because you clearly were not appropriate for the role.

One more thought. From my understanding that night, there were more individuals voting that had previous work experience with you through IRC, Res Life, etc than with Mr. Finlay. This brings me to my second point, in that just because you have credentials and experience, doesn't mean you did a good job.

Sincerely,
John

Last edited by McIntyre : 01-30-2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: More thoughts...

bauhaual, deadpool, Ian Finlay, KaesoPublius, temara.brown all say thanks to McIntyre for this post.
Old 01-31-2009 at 11:25 AM   #42
Ian Finlay
Program: Business

Liked: 28 Times
did I seriously get challenged to a resume-off?

lorend, LWright, temara.brown all say thanks to Ian Finlay for this post.
Old 01-31-2009 at 01:13 PM   #43
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Yes,yes you did.

*Cue dramatic music*

Old 01-31-2009 at 01:16 PM   #44
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)
Program: Business
Residence: Brandon Hall

Liked: 91 Times
It might just be me but is anyone else beginning to picture one of those good old Western showdowns?

Article Tools