MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Vote Counting Process lsmith MacInsiders Announcements 2 11-07-2009 06:24 PM
Time Management: Responsibility, What’s That? lorend First Year Success 4 06-29-2009 01:32 AM
Obama's Democratic Convention Speech - wow Chad Politics 4 09-09-2008 10:32 AM

A Letter from the MSU VP Finance - Corporate Responsibility & the Democratic Process

Old 02-01-2009 at 09:49 PM   #75
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
I'm sure Sabrina just squeed.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 02-01-2009 at 09:53 PM   #76
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Origins Research Specialization
Year: Other

Liked: 352 Times
I had to look that one up:

http://www.urbandictionary.c om/def...?term=squee d

Gross, macinsiders princess, just gross.

...okay now we're off topic.
Old 02-01-2009 at 10:50 PM   #77
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)
Program: Business
Residence: Brandon Hall

Liked: 91 Times
lol, lorend, they're gonna hold that one against you from now on. Whoops!
Old 02-01-2009 at 11:35 PM   #78
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Origins Research Specialization

Liked: 352 Times
Back to sandwiches... does anyone else think it's crazy how hospitality sells PB&J for $3.00+!? AND THAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY BUY IT?! crazy sauce.

Last edited by temara.brown : 02-01-2009 at 11:44 PM. Reason: typo... it was a really good one though. plenty of lols
Old 02-02-2009 at 12:08 AM   #79
Alvand
Year: Third

Liked: 39 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
Back to sandwiches... does anyone else think it's crazy how hospitality sells PB&J for $3.00+!? AND THAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY BUY IT?! crazy sauce.
The student swipe card, AKA food credit card, is evil. It has a mind of its own.

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Old 02-02-2009 at 07:56 AM   #80
DannyV
Elite Member
Program: Computer Engineering & Management

Liked: 207 Times
Quote:
Having a monopoly has its perks!
Old 02-02-2009 at 01:25 PM   #81
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)
Residence: Brandon Hall

Liked: 91 Times
Ha! Like I would ever buy their PB & J. I just make my own.
Old 02-02-2009 at 02:45 PM   #82
james2255
Faculty Society VP
Program: Commerce
Year: Third

Liked: 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
Dear Mr. McColl,

or Mr. James Steeles, another MSU member who has sought to wade through all the random accusations and defences to look at the numbers.
Yes, I did go see Mr. Finaly; as I was curious about everything going on, and thought I could even provide some additional insight. He was very open, polite, and informative. I didn't even schedule an appointment, but he gave the time to answer my questions. He gave me his card in case I thought of more questions, and even a copy of the financial statements from this previous fiscal year to take home.

You would be surprised by how much insight you can get, or positive outcomes that can be developed; if you approach people respectfully, politely, open minded, treat them how you would like to be treated, and ask informed questions.

Quote:
I think that's the standard way of doing things in accounting. Correct me if I'm wrong.. I'm thinking back to grade nine business class. solid course.
Just for anyone who is curious: The YTD's that Ian presented at the General Assembly were pulled from his accounting software. Revenues have natural credit balances, while expenses have natural debit balances. It is typical for accounting software to show credit balances in brackets (or 'negative') and debit balances without brackets. When the subtraction of expenses from revenues for each business unit occurred, if revenues were higher, brackets would be surrounding the number.

Although I do not agree that this method of presenting the YTD's was extremely effective (due to either limited or non-existent accounting knowledge of the audience, and the relevancy of YTD's themselves), it is a commonly used business practice (although that doesn't make it the most effective).

--
James Steels
Commerce II
Accounting and Financial Management Services
Degroote School of Business
McMaster Universtiy

temara.brown says thanks to james2255 for this post.
Old 02-02-2009 at 10:10 PM   #83
Alex McColl
Program: Commerce
Year: Alumni
Residence: Hedden/Whidden CA/Les Prince IRC God Father/Keyes

Liked: 11 Times
James,

Did you ask him how they calculated his pay raise? Did you ask to see the other university student union wages they used as a base of comparison? Many have asked, none have received answers.

Perhaps you can ask him.

Article Tools