MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course Selection for Level II Zeehan Academics 10 04-10-2010 12:25 PM
level 2 program? jasminexo General Discussion 1 05-12-2009 08:30 PM
Level II program selection SugarySnack Academics 4 04-13-2009 01:40 AM
Applying to Level II program sad cypress First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-15-2008 09:54 AM
Second Year Program Admission and Course Selection mgallant Academics 7 06-24-2008 05:40 PM

LEVEL II program selection...

Old 06-20-2009 at 04:56 PM   #1
shreya s.

Liked: 0 Times

LEVEL II program selection...
hi
i have four days to pick between the following programs:
H. Biology (Origins Spec)
H. Biology (Physiology Spec)
H. Molec Biol and Genetics
H. Life Sciences

The more I read, the more confused i get about which one to pick... :S

Can you guys help me out by posting the pros and cons of these programs in terms of the subject matter, job prospects, profs, class sizes, or anything else.
o.. and which one would you pick?

Thank you .. =D
Old 06-20-2009 at 09:27 PM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I'm in Physiology and I really love it. The subject matter is highly relevant to everyday life and I find body systems incredibly interesting. The course listing for physiology covers everything from Kin, Ecology/Plants, and Psychs. Sometimes people dislike specializations because they feel like they're limited in the number of electives that you take; however, most of my electives are in psych/eco anyways so it all works out.

The class sizes vary depending on the courses, 3ZZ3 had about 30 students while larger courses like 3UU3 had about 200. 3ZZ3 is a physiology only seminar class where guest professors come in and give lectures about their research. The specialization opens up a lot of opportunities from masters, to OT/PT, other graduate schools.

A lot of my friends are in life sci, a major pro is that you can take courses from a wide variety of topics if you're unsure of what you want to do. Some cons are that it may be harder for you to get into certain courses because you're not a biology student and graduating with a general degree like "life sci" may limit your job prospects if your employer is looking for a specific type of work (ex: genetics, physio, etc)