Life Sci 3dd3 AnnaWM Academics 2 09-10-2010 08:49 PM
bio 3dd3 vs mol bio 3m03 yum24 Academics 2 08-10-2010 03:33 PM
Life Sci 3DD3 issue shockalot Academics 3 06-03-2010 02:10 PM

Life Sci 3DD3

Old 06-08-2011 at 03:04 AM   #1
LBJ.MVP

Liked: 16 Times

Life Sci 3DD3
Any comments on Life Sci 3DD3? How the prof is,workload and how difficult the class is? I had Kolasa first year and was wondering if he still the same guy teaching upper year classes? (does he still mumble for 50 minutes?)

Last edited by LBJ.MVP : 06-08-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-10-2011 at 04:35 PM   #2
LBJ.MVP

Liked: 16 Times

anyone?......
Old 06-10-2011 at 04:43 PM   #3
tylerearl

Liked: 6 Times

Its a life sci course, cmon now.
Old 06-10-2011 at 05:11 PM   #4
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

I heard its pretty dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerearl View Post
Whats ur point?

L'Étoile, traveler10 like this.
Old 06-10-2011 at 05:37 PM   #5
sycoman

Liked: 9 Times

its a piece of sh*t course. Kolasa cant teach for crap and his voice is the most annoying thing on this planet. Every one last year complained about the course. Do yourself a favor and pick another course.
Old 06-10-2011 at 06:50 PM   #6
nita

Liked: 3 Times

I took it last year, and yes, it's dry and yes, it's not as easy as you may think it is. It had tutorials with summaries due like every other week, and presentations every three weeks or something around that. One midterm One exam, no textbook... he gives you PDF's/Word docs of "chapters" he wrote but a lot of the information was contradicting his lecture slides. The midterm and exam were all MC.

We had guest lecturers towards the end of semester, Also, kinda disorganized class.

However, the tutorial presentations were interesting and I did learn a lot. But, i still wouldn't recommend this class.

My friend did speak with Pat chow-fraser and she said that the class organization and other things, would change for next year as a lot of people in my class were complaining about it. Also, some students spoke with the Associate Dean of Science as well because they were very unhappy with the way the class ran.

It's up to you, but I wouldn't recommend it.

BlueWave, traveler10 all say thanks to nita for this post.
Old 06-10-2011 at 08:52 PM   #7
karna

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerearl View Post
dude u are saying as if its a health sci course

L'Étoile, traveler10 like this.
Old 06-10-2011 at 10:43 PM   #8
Sintos

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycoman View Post
its a piece of sh*t course. Kolasa cant teach for crap and his voice is the most annoying thing on this planet. Every one last year complained about the course. Do yourself a favor and pick another course.
Really? I've heard both good things and bad thing about Kolasa, and I am ALMOST positive that I can find a more annoying voice on this planet. Whether he can teach or not he is the one that writes the midterms, so if he teaches nothing then you should ace his tests?

I had a few friends take this course last year and all three of them got 12s. Do not let the opinions about the prof skew your choices, especially some as biased as these. Take the course if you like the content, that's all you can really go on.

kwyhan, LBJ.MVP, Ush.s all say thanks to Sintos for this post.
Old 06-11-2011 at 12:02 AM   #9
kwyhan
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

How is his testing style? Like is it very difficult or if you study, you will do well?

Is it pure memorization?
THanks
Old 06-13-2011 at 01:38 PM   #10
scholes

Liked: 6 Times

Would I take this course again? No based on the fact it was very disorganized. That being said if you attended class and read through his pdf textbook, it is possible to do well in the course. As for Kolosa's testing style, it was very much application based. Those who complained often had a difficult time applying lecture material to midterm questions.
Old 06-13-2011 at 01:54 PM   #11
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sintos View Post
Really? I've heard both good things and bad thing about Kolasa, and I am ALMOST positive that I can find a more annoying voice on this planet. Whether he can teach or not he is the one that writes the midterms, so if he teaches nothing then you should ace his tests?

I had a few friends take this course last year and all three of them got 12s. Do not let the opinions about the prof skew your choices, especially some as biased as these. Take the course if you like the content, that's all you can really go on.
Just because they got 12's doesn't mean the course is good. You can have great material, but if you have a crappy teacher it's not going to be very good, even if the tests are easy. And because ecology is basically boring as **** for most people, and there are better ecology type courses to take, I suppose most people take this course as an "easy/interesting" elective. The easy part is there, but if it's not interesting why not take another course that might be a little more difficult but far more interesting?
Old 06-14-2011 at 08:30 AM   #12
Sintos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Just because they got 12's doesn't mean the course is good. You can have great material, but if you have a crappy teacher it's not going to be very good, even if the tests are easy. And because ecology is basically boring as **** for most people, and there are better ecology type courses to take, I suppose most people take this course as an "easy/interesting" elective. The easy part is there, but if it's not interesting why not take another course that might be a little more difficult but far more interesting?
I'd rather take an easy boring course that gives me a 12... than take an awesome FUN course that gives me an 8.

But that's just me.
Old 06-14-2011 at 09:36 AM   #13
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sintos View Post
I'd rather take an easy boring course that gives me a 12... than take an awesome FUN course that gives me an 8.

But that's just me.
Fair enough, but after taking "easy" electives and getting 10/11 in them, and taking physics math and chemistry and getting 12 in them, I've decided to just take interesting courses even if people say they aren't the easiest because I'm more likely to do well. Maybe that's just me though.
Old 06-14-2011 at 10:55 PM   #14
Sintos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Fair enough, but after taking "easy" electives and getting 10/11 in them, and taking physics math and chemistry and getting 12 in them, I've decided to just take interesting courses even if people say they aren't the easiest because I'm more likely to do well. Maybe that's just me though.
Well I can officially say I hate you. xD