MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All My Pnb Majors Where You At? SirPhil Academics 55 08-09-2011 08:04 AM
Calling all PNB majors!!! davied Academics 2 06-26-2011 10:52 AM
Confused about Majors squash101 Academics 5 06-01-2010 11:10 AM
Majors noghi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 12-27-2009 10:43 PM
majors in Mac lbqjenny First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 05-22-2009 11:00 AM

Life Sci and majors

Old 10-04-2011 at 07:58 PM   #1
byulnim

Liked: 4 Times

Life Sci and majors
just wondering what students who are going for med school go into after first year life sci?
Old 10-04-2011 at 08:46 PM   #2
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

You can get into med school with any major, id imagine most people take H Bio, H Life Sci, Biochem, Mol Bio/Genetics though
Old 10-04-2011 at 08:49 PM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by byulnim View Post
just wondering what students who are going for med school go into after first year life sci?
I know students who have gotten into med school from biochem (plus all specializations of biochem), chembio, hons bio, bio (phys), mol bio & genetics, life sci (ie, they didn't pick a specialization), psych (including biopsych). Really, with any of the specializations you should be fine...heck, you can major in math and still get into med school.
Old 10-04-2011 at 08:53 PM   #4
byulnim

oh it was because I heard it's hard to get into med school if you're in like biochem? cuz it's much harder than general life sci. is this true?
Old 10-04-2011 at 09:03 PM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by byulnim View Post
oh it was because I heard it's hard to get into med school if you're in like biochem? cuz it's much harder than general life sci. is this true?
No.
If anything, you'll be better prepared for med school because you'll be used to working harder. If you think it's too hard and you won't be able to get into med school, then you probably shouldn't go to med school. It's one thing if you despise biochemistry, it's another thing entirely if you aren't capable of doing well in it.
If even one normal person can do it, then there's no reason you can't.

byulnim says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 10-04-2011 at 09:16 PM   #6
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

I cant really speak from experience, but theres no easy science program, to get good marks and do well you still have to put the work into whatever you are doing, sure some things are more involved/require some harder classes then others but still you have to work your ass off in whatever you are doing to get into medical school

anon491, byulnim like this.
Old 10-04-2011 at 09:19 PM   #7
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

I've been told it has nothing to do with your major at all. Sure, some majors help you get the pre-reqs along the way, like organic chem, which is required for some schools, but in general, med schools don't really care about your major. Do keep in mind that you need to be taking a full course load for at least 3 years to qualify for a lot of medical schools.

I'd recommend going into whatever field actually interests you as opposed to "what's best". If you like your area, you'll get better marks and be inclined to work hard, which is important.

byulnim says thanks to anon491 for this post.

britb, RememberTwce, Saskia like this.
Old 10-04-2011 at 11:18 PM   #8
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Last year or the year before there was a guy in music who got in

byulnim likes this.
Old 10-04-2011 at 11:27 PM   #9
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Abir's last point is really, really important.

You can weigh the pros and cons of each program all you like but at the end of the day, its the courses you'll be taking within each program that will determine your interest. This in turn will determine your success which at the end of the day is all med schools are going to really care about.

byulnim says thanks to RememberTwce for this post.

anon491 likes this.
Old 10-05-2011 at 12:01 AM   #10
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

You also don't know if the med school route will work out for you. I know it's not a nice thing to think about, but what happens if you don't get in, or decide it's not for you? Have you thought about grad school and other careers, aka life after bachelors degree? If you're in a field that you enjoy, even if things don't go exactly according to plan, you'll at least be happy with what you're doing.
Old 10-05-2011 at 09:39 AM   #11
byulnim

This helped alot!!! You guys are awesome
Old 10-07-2011 at 10:25 AM  
stever

Liked: 2 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 10-07-2011 at 10:38 AM   #12
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever View Post
majority of the ppl here:

going to go to school in the carribean, blow 200,000 big ones, do their residency in a horrible area where poverty and black ppl are rampant, and won't even be able to practice here when its all said and done....

and thats if they are lucky
you are sad...
Old 10-07-2011 at 10:56 AM   #13
stever

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo92 View Post
you are sad...
not you health sci.

and thats my name biatch
Old 10-07-2011 at 11:49 AM   #14
justinsftw