MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life sci course selection help sadeghi94 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 06-23-2012 10:54 PM
First Year Life Sci Course Selection shaz6 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-26-2011 11:22 PM
Life Sciences I course selection help please? :( Driftking24 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 06-25-2011 10:36 PM
Life Science Course selection sycoman Academics 12 07-17-2009 09:19 AM
Life Science I Course Selection Nino Academics 6 07-18-2008 03:39 PM

Life Sci course selection woes!

Old 06-18-2014 at 08:06 PM   #1
Neon14

Liked: 2 Times

Life Sci course selection woes!
Hi! Can someone please explain the difference between PHYS 1B03 and PHYS 1C03? From what I understand, you only need one of the credits, is that true (I plan on pursing pharmacology or just hons. Life Sci, maybe)? Do most people select one rather than the other for a specific reason? My grade 12 final mark was 90%+ in physics so I assume not to take 1L03.

Generally, what do most people choose for electives (I know this is completely dependent on who answers, but anyways...)? Are the mandatory WHIMS A100 and HTH SCI 1BS0 automatically added for first year science students? And does the university generate a schedule for you? (i.e. how much more involved must I be after selecting the courses)

thanks.
Old 06-18-2014 at 08:58 PM   #2
Bug324

Liked: 25 Times

1B03 is for life sci students, 1C03 is for physical and chemical sciences. 1C03 is new this year (everyone used to take 1B03). You only need one of the two. Don't bother with 1L03 is you got 90+ in grade 12.

WHMIS and HTH SCI are not automatically added. You add them yourself and they show up online near the end of the summer at avenue.mcmaster.ca

The university will generate a schedule for you in August, then you can go back onto SOLAR and move the sections around if you're not happy with what was given to you.

Electives are up to you. A lot of people take first year econ. I took astron 1F03. I really enjoyed it and I can see that Dr. Wadsley is teaching it again this year, which is great.

Neon14 says thanks to Bug324 for this post.
Old 06-20-2014 at 03:46 PM   #3
Neon14

Liked: 2 Times

What do people think of GEOG 1HA3? And how theory or calculation based is MED PHYS 1E03? Are either of these very difficult courses?