MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
review on third year life sci courses nadia1 Academics 2 07-12-2010 08:00 PM
LIFE SCI- How do my courses look? x-Vash First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 06-25-2010 11:18 PM
Life Sci Mandatory Courses are full Rakim Academics 19 06-14-2010 09:14 PM
What courses do I need to get into life sciences? hassan09 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 04-10-2010 10:45 PM
2nd Year Life Sci Courses hello395 Academics 3 09-16-2009 11:10 AM

Life sci courses help?

Old 04-24-2011 at 02:05 PM   #1
Joyceyblank

Liked: 3 Times

Life sci courses help?
Hi everyone!
Im wondering what courses I should take for 1st and 2nd year of life sci so that I will be well prepared for MCAT.
As well, do we get to choose which semester we want them in? If so, how should I organize them?

thanks beforehand!
Old 04-25-2011 at 08:49 PM   #2
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

By taking the required first year courses in life Sci. you should be fine (i.e, Bio, Chem, Physics)
Old 04-25-2011 at 10:31 PM   #3
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyceyblank View Post
Hi everyone!
Im wondering what courses I should take for 1st and 2nd year of life sci so that I will be well prepared for MCAT.
As well, do we get to choose which semester we want them in? If so, how should I organize them?

thanks beforehand!
For Life Sci:
The two chem courses have to go in one order (CHEM 1A03-->CHEM 1AA3) so no freedom there
Same deal for psych (PSYCH 1X03 --> PSYCH 1XX3)
The two biology courses are completely unrelated and can go in any order (BIO 1M03 <---> BIO 1A03)

The rest, including math, physics and your electives can go in really any order because no single course is much harder or easier than any other course. The courses I listed above are all required courses (I think) and so you don't have many decisions.

If you are really worried about one particular course then maybe put it in Term 2 so you are used to university by then. Other than that you don't need to worry because the order won't hurt you or help you. (In 1st year at least)
Old 04-25-2011 at 10:40 PM   #4
Rock007

Liked: 0 Times

Just do all the required courses that you would need to get into 2nd year programs as mentioned above... you'll be more than just fine.
Old 04-26-2011 at 02:05 AM   #5
Jason036

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyceyblank View Post
Hi everyone!

thanks beforehand!
Honestly...don't worry about the MCAT right now...worry about your first year courses and what you are going to major in for second year.
Old 05-02-2011 at 09:39 AM   #6
miatomasi

Liked: 15 Times

If you're like me and plan ahead for everything, including the MCAT and med school applications, I'd do this:

First, figure out what you're interested in.
At the end of your first year as a life sciences student, you have to apply to a second year program which is what you will major in. You can easily find these programs in the undergraduate calendar.
Take a look at the programs and figure out what you might be interested and then look at the first-year prerequisites that you need to get in.
Make sure you have all these prerequisites. (they are usually the same for most of the programs, give or take one course here and there)

You have to remember that the MCAT is still a long time away and you should be preparing more for what you are going to do with your undergraduate degree.
the required courses for Life Sciences 1 prepare you a lot for the MCAT.

In second year, take organic chemistry, as this is a main section on the MCAT.. many second year science courses require you to take orgo anyways.

you should be fine doing this, but try not to worry too much about the MCAT right now anyways.
worry about surviving your first year

heewoni, Joyceyblank, Rudiger like this.
Old 05-03-2011 at 08:57 PM   #7
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
For Life Sci:
The two chem courses have to go in one order (CHEM 1A03-->CHEM 1AA3) so no freedom there
Same deal for psych (PSYCH 1X03 --> PSYCH 1XX3)
You don't have to take both psych courses. But if you're in life science I you need 9 units from BIO 1A03, BIO 1M03, PSYCH 1X03, PSYCH 1XX3. So that means you need to take 3 of those courses. You could be like me and not want to study a full year of psych and take something else instead.

Just make sure to follow the undergraduate calendar:
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1490.html
Old 05-03-2011 at 09:33 PM   #8
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by particle View Post
You don't have to take both psych courses. But if you're in life science I you need 9 units from BIO 1A03, BIO 1M03, PSYCH 1X03, PSYCH 1XX3. So that means you need to take 3 of those courses. You could be like me and not want to study a full year of psych and take something else instead.

Just make sure to follow the undergraduate calendar:
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1490.html
But both psych 1x03 and 1xx3 are needed to enter life sci level II
Old 05-03-2011 at 10:16 PM   #9
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesciman1 View Post
But both psych 1x03 and 1xx3 are needed to enter life sci level II
It means you can't get into Level II Life Science, but with the right courses without Psych 1X03/1XX3, you could get in a more specialized Level II Science program (i.e. Physics, Math and Stats, Biochem, Chem Bio, etc.)

Just because you're in Life Science now, it doesn't mean you'll stay next year. However, if you're afraid you won't have the marks for specializations, then take these courses to stay in Life Science, or you could even go into a general B.Sc.
Old 05-03-2011 at 10:52 PM   #10
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
It means you can't get into Level II Life Science, but with the right courses without Psych 1X03/1XX3, you could get in a more specialized Level II Science program (i.e. Physics, Math and Stats, Biochem, Chem Bio, etc.)

Just because you're in Life Science now, it doesn't mean you'll stay next year. However, if you're afraid you won't have the marks for specializations, then take these courses to stay in Life Science, or you could even go into a general B.Sc.
Well technically, aren't all science students in general science first year. Like, even though you enver life sci or enviro in 1st year..you are not really in life sci or enviro until you major in it in 2nd year correct?
Old 05-03-2011 at 11:42 PM   #11
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesciman1 View Post
Well technically, aren't all science students in general science first year. Like, even though you enver life sci or enviro in 1st year..you are not really in life sci or enviro until you major in it in 2nd year correct?
Yes, you haven't declared a major per se until second year. McMaster calls the first year program you are in a 'Gateway' program which then allows you to take courses that will enable you to enter a more specialized program.

But there are still distinctions between these Gateway programs. So if you're in life science first year, you should be following the undergraduate calendar as to what courses you should be taking and this is going to be different for someone in enviro sc first year.

This is probably confusing lol, I'm sure someone else can do a better job explaining.