MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
courses that are full yapyyap Academics 7 07-15-2010 11:20 AM
Which courses are full? julianface First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 06-27-2010 01:38 PM
Mandatory course full qwerty91 Academics 5 06-17-2010 10:27 AM
Mandatory Courses FULL. Rakim Academics 1 06-14-2010 12:10 PM
ALL Life Sciences II courses full...? Mr.Prodigy Academics 3 06-30-2009 05:07 AM

Life Sci Mandatory Courses are full

Old 06-14-2010 at 11:31 AM   #1
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Life Sci Mandatory Courses are full
3 MANDATORY courses i need for life sci were full on MUGSI. I was told to contact Sarah Robinson... and I did via E mail.

She responded by saying to keep trying to add them on MUGSI.

WTF??? These are mandatory courses, surely they can open up a spot right?

ughhhhh
Old 06-14-2010 at 11:41 AM   #2
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Well, the aren't exactly keen on opening up spots for courses, but if you really need it they will. What usually happens is that if they get enough people who need a spot they'll open up a bunch at a time.

However, they're right that you probably won't need them to open up a spot, one will probably open up if you just keep checking MUGSI. Its still early, you shouldn't worry too much! It can't hurt to email her a few more times though if you want though, persistence is the best way to make sure you get a spot.
Old 06-14-2010 at 11:41 AM   #3
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

I think she means keep trying, people will eventually drop the course. But if you still can't get into your courses by aug, they'll probably open a spot for you.
I had the same problem, I tried getting into math 1A03 for 3 weeks haha.
Old 06-14-2010 at 11:45 AM   #4
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

There's a 6 minute gap in between your posts so, correct me if I'm wrong, I think you asked the same question twice. Don't worry: people always frequent the boards during SOLAR/MUGSI times and your question will be answered. Posting twice will not help you, it will probably hinder your chances of getting a response because people don't like clogged forums.

If the courses are mandatory to your degree, send an email off to the Life Sci office. They should open slots for you. Also check SOLAR regularly because chances are other people are also emailing them and they'll just "unlock" it. I ask that if you pick the second route that you keep exiting the gateway simply cause people forget and stay logged in and then the system's 3 student + 1 guinea pig limit is reached.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 06-14-2010 at 11:48 AM   #5
Rakim
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
There's a 6 minute gap in between your posts so, correct me if I'm wrong, I think you asked the same question twice. Don't worry: people always frequent the boards during SOLAR/MUGSI times and your question will be answered. Posting twice will not help you, it will probably hinder your chances of getting a response because people don't like clogged forums.

If the courses are mandatory to your degree, send an email off to the Life Sci office. They should open slots for you. Also check SOLAR regularly because chances are other people are also emailing them and they'll just "unlock" it. I ask that if you pick the second route that you keep exiting the gateway simply cause people forget and stay logged in and then the system's 3 student + 1 guinea pig limit is reached.
Sorry for posting the same question twice, Im just really worried.

It doesnt seem like they want to open up these courses and I need them for my program.
Old 06-14-2010 at 11:51 AM   #6
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

That's alright; it's understandable.
They have to open up the courses, though I'm guessing right now, all the other Life Sci kids in your situation are flooding them via email or phone calls.
You will be allowed in, it's just a matter of them getting on top of things and unlocking the courses for you or opening more seats.
if email doesn't seem effective, I would suggest calling them; you might have to be on hold for a while though but it's probably an easier way to get the issue resolved.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 06-14-2010 at 11:52 AM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Are they ACTUALLY mandatory or are they part of a course list or a selection of courses to choose from?
Old 06-14-2010 at 11:54 AM   #8
Rakim
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Are they ACTUALLY mandatory or are they part of a course list or a selection of courses to choose from?
They are all mandatory.

I called academic advisors, who told me to email sarah robinson (the head of the dept.) She said to keep trying on mugsi.

I was under the impression that simply contacting them would allow me to get an available spot in mandatory courses.

oh well.
Old 06-14-2010 at 11:58 AM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluandExile View Post
They are all mandatory.

I called academic advisors, who told me to email sarah robinson (the head of the dept.) She said to keep trying on mugsi.

I was under the impression that simply contacting them would allow me to get an available spot in mandatory courses.

oh well.
I've never heard of anyone that required a mandatory course who was rejected. But then again not many programs actually have too many mandatory courses. My program has 2 mandatory courses Lol
Old 06-14-2010 at 12:02 PM   #10
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

While we're on the subject of full courses on ELM, I tried to take some Psych electives (I'm in Science) and they were ALL full within hours of MUGSI opening for us.

My question is: When more spots open up (Wednesday night?) for Soc Sci students, will those courses still appear to be full for me? Or are those spots up for grab for anyone?

And any ideas when STATS 1B03 will have more seats? I didn't expect that course to be full so fast either since its recommended for science students.

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 06-14-2010 at 01:07 PM   #11
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Do you mean stats 2B03?

Generally, even though it's a second year course, they give priority to 3rd years who need the course for their thesis in 4th year. I know many people who couldn't take this course in 2nd year (they wouldn't open up spots for them) since there were so many 3rd years who were of higher priority. You can try emailing them, but you might have to take it next year.

ikantsepll says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 06-14-2010 at 01:21 PM   #12
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

There seems to be a lot of issues with SOLAR this year and mandatory classes either being full or students not meeting the requirements when they do.

I think what Sarah Robinson means by 'keep trying' is keep attempting to register for the classes as the school/registrar/department/whoever attempts to fix the issue. If the classes are mandatory, I really don't think she means wait until someone drops it.

resh.jyoti likes this.
Old 06-14-2010 at 02:02 PM   #13
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Yeah sorry, I meant STATS 2B03. And I got into that course a couple hours ago, seems like they opened up more spots.
Old 06-14-2010 at 02:19 PM   #14
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Apparently Organic Chem was showing up as full for some but not for others.
Old 06-14-2010 at 02:25 PM   #15
resh.jyoti

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluandExile View Post
They are all mandatory.

oh well.
Same thing happened to me. I DO NOT HAVE THE PREREQUISITES for anything else in that section in the undergraduate calendar, and so I NEED Life Sci 2D03. I contacted the lady, and because I'm Science II, SHADOWING the Life Sci program she said she couldn't do anything for me.

LIKE WHAT IS THIS?!? I'm sure that people IN Life Sci II have the Chem 1A03 and 1AA3 prereq to take the other 3 courses in that section that I'm not eligible for, because you need that to GET IN FOR GOD's SAKE, and I'm taking it now. I really don't get it, if I need it more than other people, why can't they give it to me? It's not like I have a choice... This just makes no sense!

In addition to this, I want a psych minor. Initially I wanted to go INTO psych, but I also wanted to get into grad school and if i went into psych there's not enough electives to get my average up, so I settled to shadow life sci instead. I got on solar at 12:00, selected everything, it crashed, nothing was saved, and by the time I got on back everything was full. You tell me, how in the name of pretzels am I supposed to get a psych minor if I can't take any second-year psych courses?

*SIGH* I really don't understand the way bureaucracy works...