MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Linguistics 3C03 - Psychology 3C03 feonateresa 3rd Year Course Reviews 1 11-14-2013 03:59 PM
Indigenous Studies 3J03/Political Science 3C03 lorend 3rd Year Course Reviews 0 12-14-2009 01:23 PM
Science...more specifically Life Science Meg543 Academics 9 08-24-2009 07:53 PM

Life Science 3C03

Life Science 3C03
Published by albalks
05-29-2011
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
80%80%80%
Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
80%80%80%
Easiness
80%80%80%
Average 80%
Life Science 3C03

Life Science 3C03:

- This course is an extension of Life Science 2D03.
-It dives into animal behavior, evolution, predation, parent-offspring etc.
- The mark breakdown: 3 tests worth 20% and a final worth 40%.
-It was very similar to Life Science 2D03 so if you liked that class, you'll enjoy this one too.
-The tests were fair and you can do well in this class.

Downside:
- Prof made the second test harder because ppl did really well on the first one (however, an A was very achievable)
- Dr. Beston was sometimes unsure of himself. He seemed to lose his confidence and self-esteem. I He would sometimes say things like, There I go messing that up again or something along those lines. He seemed really nervous while teaching mainly because it's the first time he taught this course.

I would recommend his class. I thought the material was interesting, the class never went over 2 hours, 2 and half hours (night class) and Dr. Beston's tests were pretty fair.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Life Science 3C03!

Old 05-30-2011 at 03:42 PM   #2
shockalot

Liked: 11 Times
I love Dr Beston! He makes class and the material fun to learn
The first two tests were quite easy, the third a bit tougher - i found the exam quite touch although i had 4 in 4 days so it may have been due to my lack of study time.
To sum it up, i really liked this class and if you work hard, you can come out with a double digit grade...i don't see why you can't get an 11

paliosag, SashDoods like this.
Old 06-06-2011 at 02:56 AM   #3
ae1011

Liked: 0 Times
what's the format of mid-terms? are they all MC?
Old 08-01-2011 at 03:52 AM   #4
monu1388

Liked: 1 Time
Course:
I found this was a great course, personally, I really enjoy evolutionary topics and etc., which made this very interesting. There is a significant amount of material, because even though he says his tests are application based and less memorization, you have to memorize everything to do well.

Dr. Beston, is a great prof, and his notes are really comprehensive, which makes studying for them straight forward.

Tests:
His tests are a little multiple choice, some fill in the blank, and then most of the marks come from short answer questions.
To answer the short answer questions, he looks for very specific points, which might make them tricky, but otherwise they are not bad. On the final exam his short answer questions were more critical thinking and application based, so you have to understand the material well.

Fill in the blanks were generally very easy, and were straight from the notes.

However, Dr. Beston, is serious about maintaing a certain class average, generally he makes his tests difficult enough so that the average is about 67-70 percent.

traveler10 says thanks to monu1388 for this post.

traveler10 likes this.

Old 09-14-2011 at 06:01 PM   #5
traveler10

Liked: 51 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monu1388 View Post
Course:
I found this was a great course, personally, I really enjoy evolutionary topics and etc., which made this very interesting. There is a significant amount of material, because even though he says his tests are application based and less memorization, you have to memorize everything to do well.

Dr. Beston, is a great prof, and his notes are really comprehensive, which makes studying for them straight forward.

Tests:
His tests are a little multiple choice, some fill in the blank, and then most of the marks come from short answer questions.
To answer the short answer questions, he looks for very specific points, which might make them tricky, but otherwise they are not bad. On the final exam his short answer questions were more critical thinking and application based, so you have to understand the material well.

Fill in the blanks were generally very easy, and were straight from the notes.

However, Dr. Beston, is serious about maintaing a certain class average, generally he makes his tests difficult enough so that the average is about 67-70 percent.
Those short answer questions, whats their worth on a quiz? like is it MCQ 60% and 40% short answer?
Old 09-14-2011 at 09:31 PM   #6
traveler10

Liked: 51 Times
and what percentage of class got a 10+ , any idea?
Old 09-15-2011 at 08:14 PM   #7
annepatricia

would anyone recommend this class over life sci 3dd3?

traveler10 likes this.
Old 12-29-2011 at 12:58 PM   #8
jarzeck

I would not recommend 3DD3. Worst course (in my opinion) that I've ever taken. I've heard great things about 3C03! I'm excited for it next semester!
Old 12-30-2011 at 10:31 PM   #9
bubbly

anyone know if the textbook is needed for this course?
Old 05-08-2012 at 06:26 PM   #10
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times
I took this course in 2011-2012 (second term) with Dr. Beston.

It was a night class that usually ended anywhere from 9:00pm to 9:30pm so you never had to stay late.

3 lectures, midterm, 3 lectures, midterm, 3 lectures, exam. Very even, very reasonable.

The material was interesting and had to do mostly with animal behavior and game theory, as well as other theories/models of things like anger, depression, communication, and so forth.

I think his midterms are "easy" but he marks them rather hard. Everyone comes out thinking they did great, answered almost every question, maybe guessed on a few MC's, but the average will never be as high as you expect and I rarely did as well as I wanted to. This was my lowest mark going into exams.

The exam this term was, I thought, very hard. That being said, I think others felt the same way, and I guarantee Dr. Beston adjusted the marks at the end. (I know I got 0 on a 4 mark question, yet I came out with the same mark I went in with which would have been impossible if I really got 0). So in the end, it was difficult but fair.

Overall I would recommend this as a solid third year course - even if it's hard you know Dr. Beston won't screw you over.
Old 06-06-2014 at 05:52 AM   #11
shai30nad

Can anyone give a review of the course from last year with Dr Khan?

lilrush likes this.
Old 06-21-2015 at 06:16 PM   #12
lilrush

Liked: 6 Times
I took this course in Winter 2015 with Dr.Khan.

The Good:
- iClicker quizzes are easy marks, if you have a few people around you to work with.
- the textbook is very well written, and perhaps better at delivering content than Khan herself

The Bad:
- Tests give broad answers and require EXACT wording. I found that the only way to be successful was to memorize the texts line for line and quote them as closely as possible, pretending that I was Richard Dawkins himself when writing these tests.
- Khan has a tendency to go slow on content in the beginning and then frantically shuffle through content near the end. Read the text in advance so that you don't get caught off guard by this.
- There is a lot of reading. There are 2 textbooks in addition to lecture and guest lectures and it's all testable.

Overall, this is an interesting course. If you read the content before the lecture, a 10-12 is in reach!
Old 12-20-2016 at 01:39 PM   #13
TheHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrush View Post
I took this course in Winter 2015 with Dr.Khan.

The Good:
- iClicker quizzes are easy marks, if you have a few people around you to work with.
- the textbook is very well written, and perhaps better at delivering content than Khan herself

The Bad:
- Tests give broad answers and require EXACT wording. I found that the only way to be successful was to memorize the texts line for line and quote them as closely as possible, pretending that I was Richard Dawkins himself when writing these tests.
- Khan has a tendency to go slow on content in the beginning and then frantically shuffle through content near the end. Read the text in advance so that you don't get caught off guard by this.
- There is a lot of reading. There are 2 textbooks in addition to lecture and guest lectures and it's all testable.

Overall, this is an interesting course. If you read the content before the lecture, a 10-12 is in reach!
Is it a similar amount of reading as Life Science 2D03 or a lot more?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search