MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Life Sci 4W03: Advanced Topics in Nutrition shelbs Academics 6 08-14-2014 07:13 PM
Mac Life Science vs Queen's Life Science? s_rt First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 05-28-2014 07:33 AM
Earth and Environmental science questions (URGENT) switching to life science!! leena.a Academics 4 07-28-2013 01:46 AM
Sociology 4W03 kimzy 4th Year Course Reviews 0 04-23-2012 09:42 PM
Social Work 4W03 - Child Welfare sinthusized 4th Year Course Reviews 0 12-17-2011 04:02 PM

Life Science 4W03

Life Science 4W03
Published by Drake
06-11-2014
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
60%60%60%
Professor Rating
70%70%70%
Interest
40%40%40%
Easiness
50%50%50%
Average 55%
Life Science 4W03

The course was previously a seminar course this last fall and they just changed it to a course this year. Had the same professor: Dr. Pincivero. The course wasn't easy or similar to nutrition 2n03. He was much more difficult. Ended up with a 6... one of my lowest marks ever. Marked hard. Dont suggest this course!
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Life Science 4W03!

Old 06-17-2014 at 03:00 AM   #2
SaugaCity

Liked: 0 Times
Can anyone else confirm what Drake said? #worstbehaviour
Old 06-27-2014 at 10:52 AM   #3
Oakville

Liked: 0 Times
I have taken this course as well. Going to be doing my masters at McMaster University. On the side note this class wasn't easy, got a 7 barley. There are easier courses compared to this course. For instance, Life Science 3j03 was a fairly easy 10+. But you have to put in work but some people didn't. There is also life science 3d03, the tests were simple memorization. One of the easiest third year courses for sure!
Goodluck! Hope this helps!
Old 08-07-2014 at 01:51 PM   #4
shelbs

Liked: 15 Times
What was the course outline like?

nimanims likes this.
Old 12-25-2014 at 01:32 AM   #5
shelbs

Liked: 15 Times
Alright so I took this course with Dr. Pincivero during Fall 2014, which was the first time the course was offered. The mark breakdown was:
40% midterm (basically a final exam, as it covered all of the lecture content covered throughout the course)
60% group project (18% preliminary paper, 18% final paper, 21% poster presentation, 3% group member and topic sign up)

The midterm was 70 multiple choice and 20 marks short answer. This was extremely fair - he is a great prof and is not trying to trick you, which is nice. The content was very interesting (if you found 2N03 interesting). There was quite a bit of review, however we expanded on that content and covered new topics like alcohol. I find Dr. Pincivero can be a little disorganized, and it was a little difficult for him to gauge how much material we would be able to cover (because the course had never been run before) however we managed to get through most of it and as in his other courses, notes were posted and all lectures were podcasted.

For the group project, we had to pick a controversial or debated nutritional claim that had been made in the media or by a public figure (Dr. Oz, for example). We then had to write a 3-4 page preliminary paper outlining the claim and introducing some of the related research, followed by a final paper (10-12 pages) detailing all the relevant research (supporting and refuting) the claim, followed by a verdict (is the claim legitimate? Was it exaggerated and the supporting literature questionable? Etc.). We then had to make a poster and present it (very informally) to the professor (all the posters were set up around the room and groups took turns presenting to him, as well as discussing their topic with other students who were scheduled to present on another day).

The marking was very fair and Dr. Pincivero is very understanding and accommodating. He even switched the date of the midterm because several students had another test that day. I think this course was great, a fairly light workload and I suspect it will only get better after being run a few times. Would definitely recommend!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search