MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Earth and Environmental science questions (URGENT) switching to life science!! leena.a Academics 4 07-28-2013 01:46 AM
Health Science 1G03 for a life science student 1nfinite First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 06-11-2013 05:18 PM
Honours Life Sci vs. Life Science AmandaFrole Academics 13 05-15-2013 10:10 PM
Life Sci 2H03: Environmental Life Science The Effekt Academics 7 06-06-2012 10:39 PM
Transferring from Life Science to Health Science MichaelScarn Academics 12 07-06-2011 10:39 AM

Mac Life Science vs Queen's Life Science?

Old 05-22-2014 at 08:01 AM   #1
s_rt
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Mac Life Science vs Queen's Life Science?
Hello!

I've gotten into both programs and I wondering which one is academically better. Trying to decide between Queen's Life Science and McMasters Life Science. Does anybody know if one is better than the other. No one seems to speak much about Life Science at Mac (or Queen's really), so i'm worried that the education there might not be as good. I might want to go to med school after completing BSc. Also is it easier to get a higher GPA at one compared to the other, because from what I've seen med schools care about your GPA, MCAT scores and extracurriculars, not what Uni you came from.

Is the difficulty between the two in terms of first year courses different?

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2014
Phoneup
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 05-22-2014 at 10:15 AM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

they are most likely the same. go to the city you will like better/closer to home.
Old 05-22-2014 at 03:26 PM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Like you said yourself, the important part is GPA, MCAT scores and extracurriculars. McMaster is very well known for sciences though, so it is a university with a high reputation.

Apart from the academics, also look at the environment. The extracurriculars you could get involved with at McMaster are vast. We have hundreds of on-campus clubs and student groups you can join. Check out the directory at https://www.msumcmaster.ca/clubs-directory
Old 05-22-2014
kittycat999
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 05-22-2014 at 04:50 PM   #4
Silver
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat999 View Post
Queen!

Do not go to McMaster! You will regret it. Hamilton is garbage compare to Kingston. Every time I visit my b/f up there I don't want to leave. Campus size wise, Queen is much smaller and easier to navigate.

By the way, this forum is biased toward Mac. You should post your questions in a more generic setting to avoid this. StudentAwards has a good forum.
this forum isnt biased lol. ive seen just as many, if not more, people say not to come here. stop trollin.
Old 05-22-2014 at 04:53 PM   #5
Phoneup

Liked: 43 Times

Lol why was my post deleted? We can't put helpful criticism on the forums? What is this, a communist-owned forum?
Old 05-22-2014 at 07:08 PM   #6
DarkHalo

Liked: 3 Times

Not sure how you think anyone is going to be able to compare the difficulty between 2 programs in separate Universities... anyway I enjoyed my program (Biochemistry) but overall I would NOT recommend McMaster ahah.
Old 05-25-2014 at 11:42 AM   #7
nerdingout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHalo View Post
Not sure how you think anyone is going to be able to compare the difficulty between 2 programs in separate Universities... anyway I enjoyed my program (Biochemistry) but overall I would NOT recommend McMaster ahah.

why don't you recommend mcmaster lol? (future prospective student over here lol) Is it really difficult?
Old 05-25-2014 at 06:56 PM   #8
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdingout View Post
why don't you recommend mcmaster lol? (future prospective student over here lol) Is it really difficult?
No, but it is harder to get opportunities. I can get a research position at U of T (NSERC) for example, but I cannot get NSERC at mac due to low grades (By low I mean below their ridiculous cutoff of 11.85/12, but >11/12). You will sometimes feel overshadowed by health scis and the course selection at mac is not good AT ALL. All the good health sci courses like pathophysio, I cannot take :(

nerdingout says thanks to gggggg for this post.
Old 05-25-2014 at 07:19 PM   #9
nerdingout

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggggg View Post
No, but it is harder to get opportunities. I can get a research position at U of T (NSERC) for example, but I cannot get NSERC at mac due to low grades (By low I mean below their ridiculous cutoff of 11.85/12, but >11/12). You will sometimes feel overshadowed by health scis and the course selection at mac is not good AT ALL. All the good health sci courses like pathophysio, I cannot take :(
I understand what you mean, health sci's seem so much more superior to the life sciences. have you ever tried transferring into health science? (or it that also as hard as it is to obtain a research position?)
Old 05-25-2014 at 07:38 PM   #10
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdingout View Post
I understand what you mean, health sci's seem so much more superior to the life sciences. have you ever tried transferring into health science? (or it that also as hard as it is to obtain a research position?)
No, I have not tried, it is difficult to transfer. McMaster health scis are special and they are special compared to ALL the life sci programs in ontario. They are very involved since they are being informed of the opportunities at mac such as their own clubfest and from their peers, faculties, etc... While in life sciences, there is no support system like this and you really have to be motivated since no one will spoonfeed you.
Old 05-25-2014 at 08:16 PM   #11
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

Funny how ppl saying not to go to Mac Life Sci aren't in Life Sci.

You aren't asking the right question therefore you will not get a "good"/clear answer.

What do you mean by good academically? Do you mean the professors? The way that the courses are taught? The structure of the program? The "easiness"?

Honours Life Sciences has a lot of space for electives so you are very unlikely to find two Life Sci students with the exact same set of courses and thus experience with Life Sci. I have come to love/hate and appreciate my program and I think that no matter the program, there is ALWAYS room for improvement. Life Science right now is getting revamped and will be changing a lot because the faculty members have been listening to student feedback and they are looking for ways to change. I think having a responsive faculty that is willing to listen to students' feedback is always a good thing so that's a plus.

Another plus is that there is great support at Mac emotionally and mentally, Mac has an amazing Student Wellness Centre (SWELL), great counsellors, and lots of peer support (COPE, Mad Student Society, Peer Support Line) and I can only comment on these services since I have used/heard of them but there is definitely more support available. I also felt that there was a lot of support for first years in a few my classes academically such as having a drop in math centre to help with your math homework and lots of accessible office hours for chemistry.

A downside is that you won't get spoonfed at Life Sciences. I recall speaking to a professor and he said the education you get at Mac is as great as what you'd get at Harvard EXCEPT you'd gotta work a lot harder because Harvard will spoonfeed you most of what you need (such as networking with profs due to smaller class sizes and more research opportunites).

I can't speak about Queens much since I am not familiar with it at all but I'm pretty sure it has its own pros and cons. It's hard to say which program is better because it depends on your interests, goals, and needs. I feel quite comfortable at Mac and I have times of regret but who doesn't?
Old 05-25-2014 at 08:21 PM   #12
nerdingout

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggggg View Post
No, I have not tried, it is difficult to transfer. McMaster health scis are special and they are special compared to ALL the life sci programs in ontario. They are very involved since they are being informed of the opportunities at mac such as their own clubfest and from their peers, faculties, etc... While in life sciences, there is no support system like this and you really have to be motivated since no one will spoonfeed you.
Oh wow thanks for that information! Also, would you say that obtaining that 11.8 is particularly hard at mac? I know it's all about the work ethic and willingness to work, but do you think that examinations/professors at mac are fair and reasonable, or just full out insanely hard/unfair?
Old 05-25-2014 at 08:28 PM   #13
Silver
Elite Member

11.8 is freakin high and it is hard to get in any program, but the easiest program to get it in is health sci. very few get 11.8 and most who get that or higher are in health sci because it is easier there. you most likely wont get grades like that in any program, but that mean your grades are bad. 11.8 is almost a 4.0