MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Science.. is this possible? vp15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-04-2010 08:26 PM
Life Science 1 iirynaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-29-2010 12:22 PM
Life Science course help cjdzl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 06-26-2010 07:31 AM
Will i get into Life Science? BestIEverHad First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 04-13-2010 01:43 PM
Science...more specifically Life Science Meg543 Academics 9 08-24-2009 07:53 PM

Life Science II

Old 06-22-2010 at 09:43 PM   #31
Annieloveedw

Liked: Liked 2 Times

i got some books u might need^^ im in life sci level 2
Old 06-22-2010 at 09:55 PM   #32
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumara View Post
I'm still debating whether to do biochem next year or biopsych.... sigh I really hate chemistry but biochem sounds so interesting. I should have applied to bio specialization. Man.... so yeah i'm just wondering if anyone know if biochem has any hardcore chem courses, cuz i'm trying to avoid it lol, it seems that biochem has alot of bio courses though. :s
See if they'll let you transfer into bio. I know people who started off in biochem and then switched to other programs in sept, but the earlier the better. However, if there are no spots, you might have to shadow it--talk to an academic advisor to figure out what to do if you want to switch. If you're really interested in biochem, might as well give it a chance!

There are some chem courses--both orgos (very easy labs), biophysical chem (no labs), and in third year you take bioanalytical chem (relatively intense labs). Some of the specializations require more chem courses, but I think that's it for core biochem. Double-check with the course calendar for any course that starts with 'chem' or 'chembio'.

If you're really having trouble picking a program, and can't switch to bio, then go through the course calendar and look at all the required courses for each program. If there's a large number that you don't want to take, then it's probably not a good program for you. Conversely, if there are lots of required courses that interest you, that you'd take even if they weren't a requirement, it's probably a good program for you. If you end up not liking the program you're in, you can always switch out! It's easier to switch from more specific programs to more general programs, though. People switch from biochem into biopsych and life sci and bio, but very few if any people switch from life sci/bio/biopsych into biochem.