MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
transfer to level 3 life science sahannag Academics 1 04-21-2012 12:03 AM
Life Science Level II faulkner16 Academics 8 06-13-2011 07:27 PM
Does Anyone Know Anything About Level 3 Life Science Courses????? George L Academics 1 04-30-2011 09:18 PM
Life Science Level II Term2 Help?! nick947 Academics 5 06-16-2010 09:09 PM
Life science Level 2 Birdsaredead First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 02-24-2010 11:44 PM

Life Science Level 2 course balance?

Old 06-09-2013 at 08:12 PM   #1
infinitemac

Liked: 0 Times

Life Science Level 2 course balance?
Hey,

I'm currently choosing my courses for second year Life Science and I'm planning on focusing on biology courses alongside the life science courses...I was just wondering how many bios I should take during the year alongside how many life sci courses, and how many electives I should leave space for...so far I have life sci 2a03, life sci 2n03, life sci 2g03, bio 2b03, bio 2a03, bio 2c03, bio 2f03, life sci 2h03 and two electives - econ 1bb3 and commerce 2aa3 for my electives...is this good and do you guys have any tips on which ones to place in each semester so that it doesnt get too hectic/tips on other good courses if I don't get into them on solar?

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2013 at 08:31 PM   #2
Kajeevan

Liked: 7 Times

Hey, all the courses sound good. Life Science 2N03 was really easy (I think both profs were). Other courses I would suggest are Life Science 2H03 (Environmental life science with bernier, the essays were marked a bit hard the first time around, but it was overall a very easy course in my opinion). One thing to note is that you can not take life science 2g03 if you are enrolled in genetics (Bio 2C03). Try considering Biology 2F03, or Plant biology 2D03 - They were easy. If you are looking for an easy third year course to add during second year then Life Science 3A03 is easy. You can also take Earth Science 2WW3 and 2GG3 as electives if you want.

Most of the courses I listed here are really easy in my opinion, so it shouldn't be hard at all
Life Science 2N03 (Any term)
Bio 2C03 (Maybe second, with Dej)
Bio 2F03 (First term)
Life Science 2H03 (With Bernier)

infinitemac says thanks to Kajeevan for this post.
Old 06-09-2013 at 08:36 PM   #3
infinitemac

Thanks so much!
Old 06-09-2013 at 08:41 PM   #4
infinitemac

Would you recommend taking Life Sci 2G03 or Bio 2C03?
Old 06-09-2013 at 09:02 PM   #5
Kajeevan

Liked: 7 Times

This is the first year they are offering Life Science 2G03, and I'm not sure if it is going to be easy. Dr. Dej is teaching this so It should be good. The problem is Life Science 2G03 can not be used as a prerequisite for upper year biology courses that you might want to take (Bio 2FF3 etc). I heard Bio 2C03 (genetics) is a pretty hard course, but it is not impossible to get 10+ if you do your work (+ with dej it should be fine). I am taking the course second semester as well!!!

Bio 2C03 and Life Science 2G03 is offered at the exact same time with Dej, so it might be either the exact course with different codes (In this case just take the 2C03 because then you can use it as a pre req). Another possibility is that Life Science 2G03 might end up being fully online (via podcasts) because I don't think it's supposed to the exact same as genetics (assuming by it's name).

infinitemac says thanks to Kajeevan for this post.
Old 06-09-2013 at 10:14 PM   #6
infinitemac

Thanks man, much appreciated!!
Old 06-10-2013 at 11:34 AM   #7
keiser=)

Liked: 12 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitemac View Post
Hey,

I'm currently choosing my courses for second year Life Science and I'm planning on focusing on biology courses alongside the life science courses...I was just wondering how many bios I should take during the year alongside how many life sci courses, and how many electives I should leave space for...so far I have life sci 2a03, life sci 2n03, life sci 2g03, bio 2b03, bio 2a03, bio 2c03, bio 2f03, life sci 2h03 and two electives - econ 1bb3 and commerce 2aa3 for my electives...is this good and do you guys have any tips on which ones to place in each semester so that it doesnt get too hectic/tips on other good courses if I don't get into them on solar?

Thanks!
I don't think you can get into Commerce 2AA3 unless you are 4th or 5th year student.
Old 06-10-2013 at 04:59 PM   #8
infinitemac

Why not? :$
I checked the course page and it says this:
ECON 1A06 or 1B03 and registration in any Commerce, Engineering and Management, Honours Business Informatics, or Honours Actuarial and Financial Management program; or a grade of at least B- in one of ECON 1A06, 1B03, 2G03, 2X03, and registration in any four or five-level non-Commerce program. (See Note 2 above.)

I have Econ 1B03 completed with above a B- and im registered in a four year non-commerce program - hons. life science
Old 06-10-2013 at 05:39 PM   #9
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitemac View Post
Why not? :$
I checked the course page and it says this:
ECON 1A06 or 1B03 and registration in any Commerce, Engineering and Management, Honours Business Informatics, or Honours Actuarial and Financial Management program; or a grade of at least B- in one of ECON 1A06, 1B03, 2G03, 2X03, and registration in any four or five-level non-Commerce program. (See Note 2 above.)

I have Econ 1B03 completed with above a B- and im registered in a four year non-commerce program - hons. life science
Interesting, I always thought registration in any four or five-level non-Commerece program meant you had to be in fourth or fifth year, but I think you're right, because looking at the website, it says,

The Commerce courses for the Business Minor are open to students registered in any four- or five-level McMaster degree program. For these students, enrolment will be limited to 40 spaces per course on a first-come, first-served basis in the following courses: COMMERCE 2AA3, 2AB3, 2BA3, 2BC3 (or 3BC3) 2FA3, 2MA3, 2KA3 (or 2QB3), 2QA3, 3FA3, 3MC3. Please note that all prerequisites for these courses must also be satisfied. Students registered in a McMaster Commerce, Engineering Management or Labour Studies program (where applicable) will be guaranteed enrolment in these courses. See Minor in Business in the Faculty of Business section of this Calendar.

So I think you are eligible to take it.

infinitemac likes this.
Old 06-10-2013 at 10:16 PM   #10
keiser=)

Liked: 12 Times

You can take it when it is available, if not, contact the Academic Program Faculty of Business to register in this course because this course fills up fast. However, Good luck!

infinitemac says thanks to keiser=) for this post.

infinitemac likes this.