MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Into Life Sciences!!! meikaelahmad Academics 42 08-11-2010 12:10 PM
Life Sciences dondada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-29-2009 08:14 PM
Will I get into Life Sciences? sanahsameen Academics 31 02-24-2009 09:42 AM

Life Sciences For 2011 :D

Old 08-23-2010 at 11:30 PM   #16
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Ummm, you HAVE to take grade 12 physics and grade 12 calculus in university if you haven't in high school. You can't replace it with another course...
You also have to take the university calculus (either math 1LS3 or 1A03), which has gr12 calc/vectors as a prereq...so you'd actually have one less course to work with. Many level 2 programs and professional schools also require first-year university physics, which has gr12 physics as a prereq.

Last edited by nerual : 08-23-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-23-2010 at 11:38 PM   #17
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
You also have to take the university calculus (either math 1LS3 or 1A03), which has gr12 calc/vectors as a prereq...so you'd actually have one less course to work with. Many level 2 programs and grad school also require first-year university physics, which has gr12 physics as a prereq.
Just to make it a bit clearer:

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1490.html

Quote:
9 units from BIOLOGY 1A03, 1M03, PSYCH 1X03, 1XX3
3 units from MATH 1A03, 1LS3
3 units from PHYSICS 1B03, 1L03
9 units from Life Sciences I Course List (See Program Notes 2, 3, 4 and 5 above.)
6 unitsElectives (See Program Note 1 above.)
So, not sure what your math course is but if it's JUST Advance Functions when you will have to take Math 1F03 before taking 1LS3 or 1A03. That 3 units from your electives.

You will WANT to do physics 1B03 but you have to take 1L03 before doing that. A lot of programs require it as well as professional/graduate schools. That's going to take 3 units from your Life Science 1 Course List.

You are left with 6 units form the Course List and 3 units for your elective.
Old 08-23-2010 at 11:52 PM   #18
meikaelahmad

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Just to make it a bit clearer:

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1490.html

So, not sure what your math course is but if it's JUST Advance Functions when you will have to take Math 1F03 before taking 1LS3 or 1A03. That 3 units from your electives.

You will WANT to do physics 1B03 but you have to take 1L03 before doing that. A lot of programs require it as well as professional/graduate schools. That's going to take 3 units from your Life Science 1 Course List.

You are left with 6 units form the Course List and 3 units for your elective.
ahhh that looks depressing.
Old 08-23-2010 at 11:56 PM   #19
nerual
Account Disabled by User

As something completely unrelated, when did chem 1A03/1AA3 stop being a requirement?!?!?!?!?? !?!??!?!

I was looking at your post Jeremy, and it seemed like at the end, the hypothetical person taking those courses was left with way more electives than people who did that in our year...and it's because they now have an extra 6 units because chem is no longer a requirement!!!!!!!! wow....that makes me really sad

It does make it easier to take the replacement gr12 courses, I suppose...but I can't believe chem isn't required!

Don't mind me, my world was shattered
Old 08-24-2010 at 12:12 AM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
As something completely unrelated, when did chem 1A03/1AA3 stop being a requirement?!?!?!?!?? !?!??!?!

I was looking at your post Jeremy, and it seemed like at the end, the hypothetical person taking those courses was left with way more electives than people who did that in our year...and it's because they now have an extra 6 units because chem is no longer a requirement!!!!!!!! wow....that makes me really sad

It does make it easier to take the replacement gr12 courses, I suppose...but I can't believe chem isn't required!

Don't mind me, my world was shattered
Lol, i was wondering the same thing! Before I went to search for the information I was going to say something like "You won't have any elective left". But clearly that's not the case anymore.

I guess they want to make Life Science more Biology based and Physical Science more Chemistry base. But it's still outrageous how not even ONE chemistry course is required for Life Science. I think it should be and I think the material would greatly aid those in the program.
Old 08-24-2010 at 12:14 AM   #21
vp15

Liked: 4 Times

is mcmaster the only school you want to go to though like if u were thinking of other schools you might need calc for sure vs physics
Old 08-24-2010 at 12:17 AM   #22
manda112

Quote:
Are those the requirements for this coming year? I'm going into 2nd year and last year chem 1A03 definitely was a requirement, just not 1AA3.
Old 08-24-2010 at 12:18 AM   #23
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Lol, i was wondering the same thing! Before I went to search for the information I was going to say something like "You won't have any elective left". But clearly that's not the case anymore.

I guess they want to make Life Science more Biology based and Physical Science more Chemistry base. But it's still outrageous how not even ONE chemistry course is required for Life Science. I think it should be and I think the material would greatly aid those in the program.
I just went through and checked, and you need chem 1A03/1AA3 for pretty much every level 2 program except for honours life sci and some of the BSc psych programs...but even the psych programs require 1A03 eventually, and honours life sci recommends both chems since they're a prereq for a ton of upper year courses. Aside from the usefulness of basic chemistry knowledge, since 95% of people will need 1A03+1AA3 anyways, what's the point of removing them as a requirement? I guarantee there's gonna be some first-year who's all excited about not having to take chem, and then in Jan/Feb realizes how screwed they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manda112
Are those the requirements for this coming year? I'm going into 2nd year and last year chem 1A03 definitely was a requirement, just not 1AA3.

Wow, I guess that was their way of phasing it out then. In my year, I'm 99% sure that both of them were required.

Gah...I can't believe they did that!

Last edited by nerual : 08-24-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-24-2010 at 12:25 AM   #24
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

thats really weird seeing as u need both psychs n bios to get into life sci II. i wuld take calc in highschool..yes i did horrible in it but easily took math 1ls3 n now i never have to do math again. i regret not doing physics in high school n tried the 1l03 argh its alright they assume u have gr 11 physics. u neeed need need physics (with labs i think) to be a dentist so ur gona have to take 1b03 too so its up to u. i went o enviro sci then got into life sci. wasnt easy but it worked
Old 08-24-2010 at 12:27 AM   #25
manda112

Quote:

Wow, I guess that was their way of phasing it out then. In my year, I'm 99% sure that both of them were required.
[/color][/color]
Gah...I can't believe they did that!
I feel equally baffled by this lol. I can't believe chem 1A03 isn't even a requirement anymore. I agree with you that both should be requirements. Hopefully most people will take at least 1A03 anyways because as you said it's required at some point for virtually every science program.
Old 08-24-2010 at 12:30 AM   #26
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

it wasnt a requiremtn last year ...but strongly recommened...basicall y u can do like psych without chem or enviro sci courses or math
Old 08-24-2010 at 12:35 AM   #27
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
it wasnt a requiremtn last year ...but strongly recommened...basicall y u can do like psych without chem or enviro sci courses or math
Even a BA in psych requires at least math 1LS3/1M03/1A03, although they're not necessary for admission, they're just required in upper years--a BA isn't a science program though, so it makes sense that chem wouldn't be a requirement for that. A BSc in psych (just general psych, not any of the specializations) requires math 1LS3 and one of physics 1L03/1B03 or Chem 1A03 for admission, although one physics and one chem is eventually required for completion of the degree.
Old 08-24-2010 at 12:35 AM   #28
manda112

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
really? it wasn't a requirment? i swear it was...o well
Old 08-24-2010 at 12:42 AM   #29
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Quote:
Even a BA in psych requires at least math 1LS3/1M03/1A03, although they're not necessary for admission, they're just required in upper years--a BA isn't a science program though, so it makes sense that chem wouldn't be a requirement for that. A BSc in psych (just general psych, not any of the specializations) requires math 1LS3 and one of physics 1L03/1B03 or Chem 1A03 for admission, although one physics and one chem is eventually required for completion of the degree.
no i mena like u can get into life sci 2nd year and have a focus on psych or math or enviro. but alot of courses have pre reqs so its better to just take the pre reqs
Old 08-24-2010 at 02:15 AM   #30
meikaelahmad

all the percentages have sky rocketed...its not fair :(