MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Sciences dondada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-29-2009 08:14 PM
Will I get into Life Sciences? sanahsameen Academics 31 02-24-2009 09:42 AM
min grade to transfer to life science?? hamza123 Academics 2 12-13-2008 02:52 PM

Life Sciences Acceptance Grade

Old 08-22-2010 at 02:30 AM   #1
meikaelahmad

Liked: 0 Times

Life Sciences Acceptance Grade
Has the life sciences acceptance range changed from 83-86? or stayed the samee! ?
Old 08-22-2010 at 03:09 AM   #2
mike4

Liked: 26 Times

In terms of life sciences...i would be careful cause believe it or not, this year if your average was below 87 you were not accepted...high demand = high marks :s best of luck
Old 08-22-2010 at 03:14 AM   #3
meikaelahmad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike4 View Post
In terms of life sciences...i would be careful cause believe it or not, this year if your average was below 87 you were not accepted...high demand = high marks :s best of luck
OMG NO WAY...AHHH NO I HAVE ONE MOR YEAR THT MEANS I NEED TO GET A 90 OR SOMETHING :O
Old 08-22-2010 at 03:16 AM   #4
mike4

Quote:
Originally Posted by meikaelahmad View Post
OMG NO WAY...AHHH NO I HAVE ONE MOR YEAR THT MEANS I NEED TO GET A 90 OR SOMETHING :O
Haha, don't stress too much...You get 87 or over and i have no doubt youll be fine, aiming higher is always best to ensure other universities as well. Also, Your final average in your top 6 has to be an 84...so theres room to drop.
Old 08-22-2010 at 03:19 AM   #5
meikaelahmad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike4 View Post
Haha, don't stress too much...You get 87 or over and i have no doubt youll be fine, aiming higher is always best to ensure other universities as well. Also, Your final average in your top 6 has to be an 84...so theres room to drop.
buddy you made me soo stressed thanks alot ;(
Old 08-22-2010 at 03:22 AM   #6
mike4

Well im saying what my friends who werent accepted were told (87 comment on their rejection)...simply want you to be prepared, false hope is worse in the end. If your entering gr12 im sure youll be fine, seniors are treated differently and if you work towards it, youll get it.

meikaelahmad likes this.
Old 08-22-2010 at 09:20 AM   #7
jamiebenyovi

Liked: 7 Times

you can always apply to environmental and earth sciences which is basically the exact same program and requires a lower average than life sciences. I originally applied to life sciences and my average was an 85.66 and they rejected me because i didn't have an 86 so i was told to apply to environmental sciences and i was accepted within 2 days of applying because it seems like hardly anyone applies to it. Then you don't even need to take the 2 required environmental science courses because you will have no intentions of graduating with a degree in environmental science so you can just take more electives instead and basically just follow the life science guidelines!!
So if your marks aren't high enough, definitely apply to enviro sci!
Old 08-22-2010 at 10:17 AM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebenyovi View Post
you can always apply to environmental and earth sciences which is basically the exact same program and requires a lower average than life sciences. I originally applied to life sciences and my average was an 85.66 and they rejected me because i didn't have an 86 so i was told to apply to environmental sciences and i was accepted within 2 days of applying because it seems like hardly anyone applies to it. Then you don't even need to take the 2 required environmental science courses because you will have no intentions of graduating with a degree in environmental science so you can just take more electives instead and basically just follow the life science guidelines!!
So if your marks aren't high enough, definitely apply to enviro sci!
People have done the same thing with physical sciences...the average is lower due to less demand, and then you can just not take a second physics & a second math, and replace those courses with two bios (and a psych or two if you're thinking of going into psych), and you're essentially in life sci.
Old 08-22-2010 at 11:09 AM   #9
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

I found life sci easy to get into
I hardly did any work in gr 12 and still managed 88 at the end
all you need to do is take a extremely easy course that you know you will get like high 90's in so it will boost your average
Old 08-22-2010 at 01:16 PM   #10
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
I found life sci easy to get into
I hardly did any work in gr 12 and still managed 88 at the end
all you need to do is take a extremely easy course that you know you will get like high 90's in so it will boost your average
That would depend on your highschool.

manda112, meikaelahmad like this.
Old 08-22-2010 at 01:22 PM   #11
nonikhanna

Liked: 3 Times

this year my friend got in with an 85 average so i dont know why the 87 wasnt accepted

meikaelahmad says thanks to nonikhanna for this post.

meikaelahmad likes this.
Old 08-22-2010 at 01:48 PM   #12
manda112

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonikhanna View Post
this year my friend got in with an 85 average so i dont know why the 87 wasnt accepted
It could depend on the high school you went to. A 90 at one school could be the equivalent of an 80 at another school, so that's taken into account.
Old 08-22-2010 at 02:21 PM   #13
olive

Liked: Liked 4 Times

I got an early acceptance with an 88.
Old 08-22-2010 at 03:27 PM   #14
Firdoum

Quote:
Originally Posted by manda112 View Post
It could depend on the high school you went to. A 90 at one school could be the equivalent of an 80 at another school, so that's taken into account.
Mac doesn't care which school you come from. I know that Waterloo does
Old 08-22-2010 at 04:22 PM   #15
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonikhanna View Post
Was it 87 overall, or 87 including the required courses? It's not necessarily 'top 6', it has to include the required courses to get into the program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manda112

Mac doesn't do that...your average is your average, period. It's really sketchy to say that an 80 at one school is a 90 at another...there's no real reliable way of determining this. As for Waterloo taking it into account, I have doubts about that too. It's like people saying you have to rank UofT #1 in order for them to consider you--they might like to see that, but you can get in even if you've ranked them lower.