MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biology (Physiology Specialization) vs. Honours Life Sciences Kev.Guo.22 Academics 21 07-03-2012 11:00 PM
Honours Life Science vs Honours Biology and Psychology Mac2012! First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2012 07:58 PM
Mirroring Honours Biology when in Honours Life Science mw11 Academics 1 05-30-2010 02:39 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Psych Neuroscience & Behaviour mel89 Academics 0 08-20-2009 03:11 PM
Honours Life Sciences can lead you to Pharmacy School? caludujf General Discussion 8 06-09-2009 03:55 PM

Life Sciences- Honours vs B.Sc.

Old 03-20-2013 at 09:35 PM   #1
FutureMEDRAD

Liked: 1 Time

Life Sciences- Honours vs B.Sc.
Hi,

Im in grade 12 and I applied to Life Sciences I. I see on their website that you can go into Honours life science of Life Sciences B.Sc.

I dont understand... Either degree, its the same program, but if i want to get the honours, Im just going to have to do more courses, right?

When do I decide whether i want to go into honours or B.sc?

thanks!
Old 03-20-2013 at 09:55 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMEDRAD View Post
Hi,

Im in grade 12 and I applied to Life Sciences I. I see on their website that you can go into Honours life science of Life Sciences B.Sc.

I dont understand... Either degree, its the same program, but if i want to get the honours, Im just going to have to do more courses, right?

When do I decide whether i want to go into honours or B.sc?

thanks!
It's not the same program, because as you stated the honours degree has more course requirements. One is three years and the other is four.
You pick your degree program around this time when you're in first year - selections are typically in late March. There are way more options though other than just honours/non-honours life sci. Also you can switch after then, your program isn't set in stone.
Old 03-20-2013 at 10:07 PM   #3
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

You cannot apply to graduate school or any professional school (ie. Medical, MBA or Law School) without an honours degree. Keep this in my mind. You can switch in during 2nd year, provided you have the grades after first year. If you don't than you can switch in after 2nd year, again, provided that you have the grades.
Old 03-20-2013 at 10:31 PM   #4
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg51 View Post
You cannot apply to graduate school or any professional school (ie. Medical, MBA or Law School) without an honours degree. Keep this in my mind. You can switch in during 2nd year, provided you have the grades after first year. If you don't than you can switch in after 2nd year, again, provided that you have the grades.
Everyone STARTS in a 3 years B.Sc in Life Sci, if you have I believe a 6.0 gpa you move to the four year honours program if you so choose
Old 03-21-2013 at 11:13 AM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
This is not true. You don't need a degree to apply to *most* professional schools. MBA isn't considered a professional school. I'm not sure about law school. Most med schools don't require a degree, I think there's two that do though. Most universities don't even offer their students a three-year option, so for all the people who apply to professional school and get in after third year (and there are a HUGE number of people in this situation), they don't get a bachelor's degree at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp31 View Post
Everyone STARTS in a 3 years B.Sc in Life Sci, if you have I believe a 6.0 gpa you move to the four year honours program if you so choose
No, everyone starts off in "Life Sciences I", which is not a degree program (check the course calendar, that's how it's set up). You'd need to actually pick a program for second year regardless, you're not in the 3-year BSc by default.
Old 03-21-2013 at 06:35 PM   #6
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

[quote=starfish;363877 ]This is not true. You don't need a degree to apply to *most* professional schools. MBA isn't considered a professional school. I'm not sure about law school. Most med schools don't require a degree, I think there's two that do though. Most universities don't even offer their students a three-year option, so for all the people who apply to professional school and get in after third year (and there are a HUGE number of people in this situation), they don't get a bachelor's degree at all.

Alright, that's true. But it is extremely hard to get into any of those schools without a 4 years degree.
Old 03-21-2013 at 06:41 PM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:

Alright, that's true. But it is extremely hard to get into any of those schools without a 4 years degree.
Nah for med school there's not a huge difference. Lol, the whole reason health sciences even HAS a non-honours degree is so that all the people who get into med school after third year will still get a degree (just like people from the science faculty).
Getting in after third year isn't significantly more difficult than getting in after fourth year, unless you're trying to recover from lower marks in 1st/2nd year.

I was really surprised though to find out that other schools don't have 3-year degree options though. I didn't know until I started professional school this year and anyone who got accepted after third year who wasn't from Mac doesn't have a degree - and there's a fairly large number of them.

Again, I really don't know anything about law admissions so it could be completely different for that.

Moral of the story is to look into the specific requirements for whatever you are thinking of pursuing