MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year life sciences course selection Need2knowme Academics 13 06-29-2011 10:36 AM
1st year electives for Life Sciences I IqzFendi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-28-2011 09:53 AM
Hola! First Year Life Sciences :) tatski-p Introduce Yourself 9 06-23-2010 11:40 PM

Life Sciences Year 1

Old 11-24-2011 at 02:37 PM   #1
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

Life Sciences Year 1
Hi, I am going to take

Physics 1B03
Biology 1A03
Chemistry 1AA3
Pyschology 1XX3
Kinesiology 1YY3

next term. How will my course load be? I know I have 4 labs to deal with and that's hectic. I am thinking of taking either physics or biology in spring/summer. Any suggestions? Has anyone had these courses? How was it? Did you have time to to do other things like a part time job or even volunteering? I really want to volunteer next term and I'm just afraid it won't be possible with the heavy workload. I also wanted to note that I am off campus and live about a 15 min walk from campus. So I do use my time to making my food and commuting and so on. I also go back to Toronto about 2 times per month on the weekends so I do lose a lot of time on weekends.

Please advise,

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2011 at 02:42 PM   #2
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

If you dont need psych, why dont you consider taking an easier course to lighten the load a bit?
Old 11-24-2011 at 02:45 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeGamer31 View Post
Hi, I am going to take

Physics 1B03
Biology 1A03
Chemistry 1AA3
Pyschology 1XX3
Kinesiology 1YY3

next term. How will my course load be? I know I have 4 labs to deal with and that's hectic. I am thinking of taking either physics or biology in spring/summer. Any suggestions? Has anyone had these courses? How was it? Did you have time to to do other things like a part time job or even volunteering? I really want to volunteer next term and I'm just afraid it won't be possible with the heavy workload. I also wanted to note that I am off campus and live about a 15 min walk from campus. So I do use my time to making my food and commuting and so on. I also go back to Toronto about 2 times per month on the weekends so I do lose a lot of time on weekends.

Please advise,

Thanks.
It looks like a normal course load for life science. In my second semester I has Bio 1A03, Math 1AA3, Physics 1BB3, Chem 1AA3 and English 1A03.

Looking back, first year course load was light compared to my second and third years. I would suggest keeping a full course load, it'll prepare you for upper years.

I was able to party quite often and I also played badminton weekly. As for a part-time job I would say no. It would be way too hectic. Considering you have 4 labs, your days probably start at 8:30 or 9:30 and end at 5:30. By the time you are done classes you'll want to relax a bit before studying/doing assignments and labs.

AnimeGamer31 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 11-24-2011 at 02:48 PM   #4
Bug324

Liked: 25 Times

I'm taking physics 1B03 right now. The midterms are kinda brutal and CAPA, the online assignments, can take a while. You get 10 tries for each CAPA question, though, so it's not too bad. And the labs are really laid back; they don't require lab reports (just answer a bunch of questions) and aren't too difficult. Just make sure you keep an eye on the clock and remember that the second half of the lab will usually take twice as long as the first, and you'll be fine. Pre-labs only take ~10-20 min.

AnimeGamer31 says thanks to Bug324 for this post.
Old 11-24-2011 at 06:25 PM   #5
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

I had the exact same course load as you last year, if you sub Kin for Math 1AA3. It was horrible, three labs in a term, but doable. If you stay par with all your work (IT IS VERY EASY TO FALL BEHIND) you should be good.

EDIT: Ah, kin has a lab too, eh?

It might be hard. It's very easy to lose focus on one subject to concentrate on the others. I'd advise you to take this courseload only if you'll be completely focused on all five subjects.

AnimeGamer31 says thanks to Faer for this post.
Old 11-24-2011 at 10:05 PM   #6
AnimeGamer31

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkolb31 View Post
If you dont need psych, why dont you consider taking an easier course to lighten the load a bit?
Yea...you see.. I need it.
Old 11-25-2011 at 10:39 AM   #7
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

You'd only need it if you're going into second year Life Science or a Psych-related program (i.e. PNB or BioPsych, etc). There's a lot of Science programs that don't require it (i.e Biochem, Chem Bio, Bio, Math and Stats, etc).
Old 11-25-2011 at 11:10 AM   #8
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Words cannot describe how i feel about psych 1x03...
Old 11-25-2011 at 07:01 PM   #9
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

I had those courses exactly, and it was fine. Kin labs are super easy and EOW, bio and chem are also EOW. Physics labs aren't too bad either. It's totally doable.

AnimeGamer31 says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 11-25-2011 at 08:47 PM   #10
TheMist

Liked: 3 Times

Kinesiology 1YY3:

A LOT OF interesting material BUT it all comes down to memorizing (especially with bony anatomy and physiology). You will experience some material that you've been exposed to/taught in 1Y03 or even in high school.

Staying on top of your material (reviewing notes on daily basis) and doing well in weekly quizzes (we used to have weekly quizzes every Friday in Winter 2011 term) + final exam = a 12 in this course

EDIT:

Forgot to mention labs, lol. Labs are very interesting and not a significant portion of them was tested on weekly quizzes/exam. Just basic concepts and anything that they really want you to know. Also some of the TA's will give you some tips so make sure you utilize them!

Last edited by TheMist : 11-25-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-25-2011 at 11:54 PM   #11
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkolb31 View Post
Words cannot describe how i feel about psych 1x03...
I was told it's harder this year, but the content looks identical to me, and the extra content on the quizzes just add up to a somewhat open book midterm. You end up learning to Google fast.
Old 11-27-2011 at 12:58 PM   #12
AnimeGamer31

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
You'd only need it if you're going into second year Life Science or a Psych-related program (i.e. PNB or BioPsych, etc). There's a lot of Science programs that don't require it (i.e Biochem, Chem Bio, Bio, Math and Stats, etc).
True, but I don't know what I will go to in the future, so taking this course is a safer choice for me because if I can't decide what to specialize in the 2nd year, chances are, I will stay in life sciences.