MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EastGate Mall at Night? huzaifa47 General Discussion 9 10-28-2009 03:04 PM
Getting to limeridge mall with HSR? Neeksleep First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 09-24-2008 01:40 PM

Limeridge Mall

Old 07-25-2010 at 07:36 PM   #1
thisisje

Liked: 0 Times

Limeridge Mall
Hey guys, do you know how long does it take to get to Limeridge Mall from McMaster?
And also, how can I get there?

Do you think a first year student can balance work and studies.

I'll be in the Nursing program this coming fall and I am planning to work during weekends.
Is this a good or bad idea?
Old 07-25-2010 at 07:41 PM   #2
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

From mac to limeridge mall via bus

you will learn to love google maps for all bus related things.

As for balancing, it all depends on you. It's definitely doable, but you should think about how much you need to study, how well you can balance your time, how well you manage your time etc etc. It's different for everyone.
Old 07-25-2010 at 07:42 PM   #3
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

You'll need to take a bus (1A, 5A, 5E, 51, 10 B-line) downtown to Gore Park. That should take around 15 minutes. Then you'll need to take a bus to Limeridge, which will be on either the 25 or 26 bus. Depending on which one you take, the faster one (26 Upper Wellington I believe) will take around 20 minutes.

Here are the bus schedules!
https://www.hamilton.ca/CityServices...ules/index.htm

Working part time is quite possible, but you will have to manage your time well. Remember also that buses come less often during the weekend!!
Old 07-25-2010 at 07:46 PM   #4
thisisje

Liked: 0 Times

Yeah. That's what I'm thinking of.
Since I heard that buses take forever there at Hamilton (I live in Toronto), it will take a long time to get to Limeridge Mall.
Old 07-25-2010 at 07:49 PM   #5
etoilex3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Q. View Post
You'll need to take a bus (1A, 5A, 5E, 51, 10 B-line) downtown to Gore Park. That should take around 15 minutes. Then you'll need to take a bus to Limeridge, which will be on either the 25 or 26 bus. Depending on which one you take, the faster one (26 Upper Wellington I believe) will take around 20 minutes.

Working part time is quite possible, but you will have to manage your time well. Remember also that buses come less often during the weekend!!
if you look at the link i posted, it will take more like 40-60 minutes because you have to wait for a transfer.
Old 07-25-2010 at 07:50 PM   #6
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Google maps is actually better for bus trip planning than the HSR webite, so I would suggest using that.

As for working on the weekends, I think you should be fine. I don't know about Nursing in particular, but I think students in almost any program would be able to work on weekends (of course, it depends on your social life and volunteer work too). I think you will be okay though! Just make sure to get lots of work done on weeknights
Old 07-25-2010 at 07:52 PM   #7
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Its about a 45min ride, take the 5E or B-Line to downtown hamilton, and get on the 25 (?) to limeridge
Old 07-25-2010 at 08:00 PM   #8
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisje View Post
Yeah. That's what I'm thinking of.
Since I heard that buses take forever there at Hamilton (I live in Toronto), it will take a long time to get to Limeridge Mall.
I find Hamilton buses better than Toronto street cars... but it might just be the routes I take to work.

Buses are fast depending on where you're going. During 'school hours' like 8-ish in the morning, there are tons of buses that go to Mac from downtown! I usually miss a bus and catch another one heading to Mac in like 5 minutes... 10 max! It gets harder to get on around Dundurn, since they get packed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoilex3 View Post
if you look at the link i posted, it will take more like 40-60 minutes because you have to wait for a transfer.
That's a cool feature on google! But, yes... I only commented on bus duration. Transfers and walking will add some time to the trip!

Also, I just realized that I named some buses that don't operate during the weekends. I think the 10 B-line is one of them...
Old 07-25-2010 at 08:14 PM   #9
etoilex3

Quote:
I find Hamilton buses better than Toronto street cars... but it might just be the routes I take to work.

That's a cool feature on google! But, yes... I only commented on bus duration. Transfers and walking will add some time to the trip!

Also, I just realized that I named some buses that don't operate during the weekends. I think the 10 B-line is one of them...
Ah I know! I hate how many buses don't operate on weekends =/. Some routes are also cut, so it takes forever to get to some random, obscure places (which happened when my friends and I went waterfall hunting).
Old 07-25-2010 at 08:31 PM   #10
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

I had a job interview at LimeRidge and decided not to take the job because I knew with school (some 530 classes even) I would barely get any hours since it would take so long to get there
Old 07-25-2010 at 08:46 PM   #11
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:

Actually, the 25 Upper Wentworth is faster. If you go with the 26, it takes a really, really long time.

Certain buses, like the 51 and I think the 1A, doesn't run on Sundays and the 5A/5E are also slower.

From my house, and I live about 10 minutes west of Mac by bus, it takes an hour to an hour and a half to get to Limeridge.
Old 07-25-2010 at 09:06 PM   #12
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Some notes for the sake of further clarification:

- Buses that go from Mac to downtown include the 1A, 5A, and from September to April, the 51. The aforementioned go through campus and stop in front of HSC/LSB/across from Mills, but alternatively there's a stop on Main and Emerson where the 5, 5E, and 10 stop. I think there's a bit of construction going on in front of the hospital, but typically that's where the 1A and 10 hang out before departure. For some reason, despite there being a variety of buses to choose from, you may end up waiting about fifteen to twenty minutes before you see three buses arrive in a trainlike fashion.

- Of the buses that go to Lime Ridge Mall from Gore Park, the 25 takes you straight there while the 26 takes you down Upper Wellington first before turning onto Rymal, then Upper Wentworth.

- On average, the trip from Mac to Main and Macnab (the place you'll stop before walking to Gore Park) takes about 15-20 minutes. The walk is about 3-5, and the 25 bus trip up to the mall takes about 20-25 minutes. If you're lucky, you can make it from Mac to the mall in less than an hour.

- If you're cutting it close between buses, there's a bus stop at James and Jackson you can get to from the Main and Macnab stop fairly quickly if you cut through the parking lot/church/mini-cemetery. It's not as bad as I make it sound, and since it takes a minute or two for the bus from Gore Park to get there, there's little harm. You might get a worse/no seat though. The walk from there to Gore Park is pretty reasonable too if you find out you did miss your bus.

Bus check numbers:

- If you have a cellphone and minutes to spare, they'll be your best friend if you don't memorize departure times. (I'm a little ashamed to admit that Bus Check is on my MY10.) I only did since that's my daily commute, but since you probably won't head up everyday, here are some to start you off. Use them by calling Bus Check (905-527-4441), then dialling the following extensions when you hear a voice.
- 2650: bus stop eastbound in front of HSC (technically only the 5A and 51 stop here, but if there's someone waiting the 1A will stop here too)
- 2748: bus stop eastbound in front of LSB (1A, 5A, 51)
- 2025: bus stop for the northbound 25 at Gore Park
- 2026: bus stop for the northbound 26 at Gore Park

Stuff I memorized:

- Buses from Gore Park depart every 20 minutes from 9:00am-2:00pm and 5:00pm-10:00pm. From 2:00pm-5:00pm, there are buses every 15 minutes, and after 10:00pm, they arrive every half hour. This only applies to weekdays, there's somewhat reduced service on weekends and holidays.

Other stuff I noticed:

- Often times the bus you hope to catch will have arrived early, and the next one will arrive late. Learn to accept this.
- The rain will stop once you get on the bus, and start the moment you get off.
- In heavy rain, the bus you're waiting for will be late. If you don't have an umbrella, it might not show up at all. However, don't start looking for shelter, as once you reach it, you will see your bus pass by.

A lot of excess info here, but hopefully at least one person will make use of it.

Last edited by Entropy : 07-25-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-25-2010 at 09:37 PM   #13
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
From my house, and I live about 10 minutes west of Mac by bus, it takes an hour to an hour and a half to get to Limeridge.
I live in East Hamilton about 10-15 minutes from Limeridge (by car) and it only takes me 50 minutes to get to mac or get home...
Old 07-25-2010 at 09:43 PM   #14
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstevenson View Post
I live in East Hamilton about 10-15 minutes from Limeridge (by car) and it only takes me 50 minutes to get to mac or get home...
Well that's still nearly an hour. I have to get through west Hamilton, then downtown, then waiting for the 25 and then going on that bus. It's a long process haha, and I don't enjoy it. For some reason it's faster to get home most of the time, but probably coincidence.
Old 07-25-2010 at 10:14 PM   #15
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

almost an hour but not an hour and a half. it takes me that long to get to dundas from my house!