MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Level 1 Credit limit AztekEscobar Academics 2 10-14-2010 06:45 PM
first year courses in upper years vp15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-22-2010 09:00 PM
48 units limit in Level 1 sinthusized Academics 8 05-21-2009 11:10 AM
can i take upper level courses? coco Academics 5 11-12-2008 04:02 PM
Medschool prereqs courses (for upper years) nijampb Academics 13 09-03-2008 04:46 PM

Limit to Lower Level Courses in Upper Years

Old 06-13-2011 at 10:45 PM   #1
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Limit to Lower Level Courses in Upper Years
Is there a limit to the amount of lower level courses you can take in upper years?

Right now, the way I have things planned, in third year I'll be taking a level 1 course (Math 1LT3), four level 2 courses (2 French and 2 orgo) and in fourth year ill be taking 1 level 1 course (English) and 3 level 2 courses (French)

Also, does it look bad to med schools if I do this?

EDIT: The French courses are for a minor in French and the math and English courses are for med school requirements

Last edited by MichaelScarn : 06-13-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-13-2011 at 10:53 PM   #2
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Use the search function. Upon opening this thread, above 5 similar threads were present with 1 thread with the answer in the title. You are allowed 48 units of first year courses.

L'Étoile, Lois like this.
Old 06-13-2011 at 10:55 PM   #3
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Is there a limit to the amount of lower level courses you can take in upper years?

Right now, the way I have things planned, in third year I'll be taking a level 1 course (Math 1LT3), four level 2 courses (2 French and 2 orgo) and in fourth year ill be taking 1 level 1 course (English) and 3 level 2 courses (French)

Also, does it look bad to med schools if I do this?

EDIT: The French courses are for a minor in French and the math and English courses are for med school requirements
You can't take more than 48 units of Level I courses including 30 units from first year.

There's no other limits as far as I know.
Old 06-13-2011 at 10:57 PM   #4
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Does it look bad for med schools though? Even though some of them are med school requirements and the rest are for a minor?
Old 06-13-2011 at 11:03 PM   #5
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

med school should realize that certain first year course are required to finsh what you need for your degree. the math and english are req so why should that be bad. The minor in french looks good , shows you are more rounded
Old 06-13-2011 at 11:07 PM   #6
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Make sure you take at least 60% of your courses at that particular level or higher. Other than that you're fine.

Why are you taking 1LT3 though? Gunning for Hopkins?
Old 06-13-2011 at 11:07 PM   #7
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

I'm just worried that in my third year, 50% of my courses are lower level and for fourth year, 40% are lower level
but if they take the minor and prereqs into consideration, then I guess that's ok
they're not going to be like...why didn't you take these prereqs earlier?
Old 06-13-2011 at 11:10 PM   #8
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
I'm just worried that in my third year, 50% of my courses are lower level and for fourth year, 40% are lower level
but if they take the minor and prereqs into consideration, then I guess that's ok
they're not going to be like...why didn't you take these prereqs earlier?
The only thing is that Western won't count that for one of your two best years. (That's where the 60% rule comes from). Other schools don't care or make vague references to making progress and moving from a more general to specialized field of study (i.e. doing a minor, double major or just focusing on an area or two rather than taking all completely random courses)

MichaelScarn says thanks to arathbon for this post.
Old 06-13-2011 at 11:10 PM   #9
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Make sure you take at least 60% of your courses at that particular level or higher. Other than that you're fine.

Why are you taking 1LT3 though? Gunning for Hopkins?
Does it have to be at least 60% for every med school? Even taking into consideration the minor?
Old 06-13-2011 at 11:13 PM   #10
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Actually, I can take a third year French instead of a second year French in third year so I'll have 60%

So now my question is, is it better to have more same level courses or after 60% they don't care?
Old 06-13-2011 at 11:16 PM   #11
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Actually, I can take a third year French instead of a second year French in third year so I'll have 60%

So now my question is, is it better to have more same level courses or after 60% they don't care?
There is no med school that specifically mentions beyond that.
Old 06-13-2011 at 11:37 PM   #12
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:

U of T takes into account the "rigorous nature" of your courses. How you choose to interpret that is up to you.