LINGUIST 2L03 Full! tiger Academics 4 08-17-2010 03:26 PM
Bio 2l03 giftedchick Academics 3 07-13-2010 12:30 AM

Linguist 2l03

Old 06-17-2011 at 03:09 PM   #1
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Linguist 2l03
Hey eveyone. I'm currently considering my second year electives and I'm trying to decide whether to take a linguistics course or a psych course. Has anyone taken Linguist2L03 or any of the second year psychs, or Earth Sci 2ww3? These are the courses that I'm currently debating between and it'd be cool if I could get some feedback on the courses . THanks!
Old 06-17-2011 at 06:50 PM   #2
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

I've taken Linguistics 2PS3 and 2SY3 last year when they were third-year courses. Both courses aren't too hard to do well in, but I'd say that syntax was easier/more interesting, but then again it comes down to personal taste.

As for second year psychs, I'd recommend 2AP3 or 2TT3 (both easy to do well in). 2H03 was okay too, just a bit harder and less interesting.
Old 06-17-2011 at 07:00 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Have you looked into the course reviews? Pretty much all of these courses have been reviewed there.
http://www.macinsiders.com/forumdisp...s-81.html?f=81
Old 06-17-2011 at 08:06 PM   #4
katrinabell

Liked: 19 Times

Honestly, if you aren't in Linguistics, don't take Phonetics. Its a really boring class that I found very hard to do well in. That said, when I took it, it was also at 8:30 in the morning which had some effect. If I didn't have to take it, I definitely wouldn't have
Old 06-17-2011 at 09:10 PM   #5
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrinabell View Post
Honestly, if you aren't in Linguistics, don't take Phonetics. Its a really boring class that I found very hard to do well in. That said, when I took it, it was also at 8:30 in the morning which had some effect. If I didn't have to take it, I definitely wouldn't have
Ooh, I see. I was only considering phonetics because I took A03/AA3 linguistics and found it alright. Is Psych 2ap3 actually easy to do well in? haha The material seems really really interesting but I always hear about how hard Day's tests are.
Old 06-17-2011 at 10:19 PM   #6
luv.ng.u

Liked: 1 Time

I took Ling 2L03 with Dr. Yoon and found that it was a pretty easy course. Easily get 10+ in my opinion. If you liked the IPA stuff and found it easy, then Phonetics wouldn't be too bad for you. I even took Phonology as well and though it was a little harder, but I enjoyed the "problem solving" aspect of it which you kind of do in 1A03 by the end of the course. Dr. Yoon is also a really nice professor and having the chance to do research with him confirms that. He's also really knowledgeable! His tests are pretty straight forward, couple questions come out directly from the textbook so if you did the assignments and questions, you'll see them on the tests. The tests are primarily fill in the blanks and one answer short questions. You will have to memorize the IPA chart (if you haven't already for 1a03) and will learn about articulatory phonetics (knowing the muscles in your mouth that creates the sounds) and acoustic phonetics (formants, learning about praat, etc.). It might not be the most interesting course compared to a course like psych 2ap3 but I personally did find some interest in it!

bigmac says thanks to luv.ng.u for this post.
Old 07-12-2011 at 02:03 PM   #7
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv.ng.u View Post
I took Ling 2L03 with Dr. Yoon and found that it was a pretty easy course. Easily get 10+ in my opinion. If you liked the IPA stuff and found it easy, then Phonetics wouldn't be too bad for you. I even took Phonology as well and though it was a little harder, but I enjoyed the "problem solving" aspect of it which you kind of do in 1A03 by the end of the course. Dr. Yoon is also a really nice professor and having the chance to do research with him confirms that. He's also really knowledgeable! His tests are pretty straight forward, couple questions come out directly from the textbook so if you did the assignments and questions, you'll see them on the tests. The tests are primarily fill in the blanks and one answer short questions. You will have to memorize the IPA chart (if you haven't already for 1a03) and will learn about articulatory phonetics (knowing the muscles in your mouth that creates the sounds) and acoustic phonetics (formants, learning about praat, etc.). It might not be the most interesting course compared to a course like psych 2ap3 but I personally did find some interest in it!
I'm interested in the course, but I may not be doing a minor in linguistics (although I did take both 1a03 and 1aa3). Should I still take the course? Is there a lot of reading, or it mainly involves doing practice? I'm hoping the workload is similar to 1a03 and 1aa3 haha.
Old 07-12-2011 at 04:47 PM   #8
luv.ng.u

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
I'm interested in the course, but I may not be doing a minor in linguistics (although I did take both 1a03 and 1aa3). Should I still take the course? Is there a lot of reading, or it mainly involves doing practice? I'm hoping the workload is similar to 1a03 and 1aa3 haha.
There wasn't a lot of readings, just weekly assignments, bi-weekly quizzes and midterm + final. Not practice per se, but just memorization. I did find the workload similar to 1a03 or 1aa3 minus the tutorials. So pretty straightforward. If you're genuinely interested in the material, you shouldn't do bad on the course! Both Phonetics and Phonology were 10+ courses for me.

bigmac says thanks to luv.ng.u for this post.
Old 07-12-2011 at 10:26 PM   #9
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv.ng.u View Post
There wasn't a lot of readings, just weekly assignments, bi-weekly quizzes and midterm + final. Not practice per se, but just memorization. I did find the workload similar to 1a03 or 1aa3 minus the tutorials. So pretty straightforward. If you're genuinely interested in the material, you shouldn't do bad on the course! Both Phonetics and Phonology were 10+ courses for me.
This sounds pretty interesting. I personally enjoyed 1a03 a lot more than 1aa3, but that was because we switched profs halfway through for aa3 (Dr. Stroinska suffered an accident and we got someone else who tested on weird material).
Old 07-12-2011 at 10:44 PM   #10
Angoose
Elite Member

I'm currently thinking about doing a minor, and I'm in honours biology. I can't seem to decide if I should do a psych minor or a linguistics minor. What is the advantage of actually getting a minor, though :S. I took both psych 1x03/xx3 and ling 1a03/aa3.