MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
linguistic cognitive science linsalex114 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 06-15-2010 04:25 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM
Cognitive dissonance stressedspec First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 12-06-2009 01:47 AM
Mac social science transfer to kinsiology Chase1313 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 11-04-2009 06:14 PM
min grade to transfer to life science?? hamza123 Academics 2 12-13-2008 02:52 PM

linguistic cognitive science--transfer!!!

Old 06-27-2009 at 03:11 PM   #1
bangbang

Liked: 0 Times

linguistic cognitive science--transfer!!!
hello!

im going into my second year of humanities and have recently been looking into the linguistic cognitive science program....it seems really interesting and im thinking to take the two required first courses for it this year (1a03 and 1aa3---already took psych 1x03 and 1xx3) and any other required courses that i already have the prereqs for and then hopefully transfer into the program next year....i was just wondering if im on the right track with this.....does it seem do-able?? also i would really appreciate if anyone out there that is already in this program could share your thoughts ......are enjoying the program??....what languages do you suggest taking??

- thanks so much in advance
Old 06-27-2009 at 03:23 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Hey :]

I'm going to be shadowing the LingCogSci program in 2nd year too. I already took Linguistics 1A03 and 1AA3. You're on the right track with Psych under your belt. The only thing you should do now, is take 2nd year Psych courses that are required as well as the first year Linguistics courses.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1450.html

3 units from PSYCH 2E03, 2H03, 2F03, or 2D03.
3 units from PSYCH 2RA3, 2RR3, SOC SCI 2J03

If you are thinking of doing Speech Language Pathology, like I am, they say they recommend taking six units of stats courses. So you can either take Psych stats (2RA3 and 2RR3) or SOC SCI 2J03. However, you need to be in certain programs to be able to take 2J03 - you can always take it in third year instead.

You needn't worry about 2nd year Linguistics courses yet obviously... but I guess to save space for courses in third year, maybe you'll want to do summer courses. Some third year Linguistics courses only require the first year Linguistics courses.

Haha I hope that helps somewhat.

Edit: Oh I forgot. I've talked to a couple people and a TA of mine that's in the program - they reeeeally love it. They even have the Masters program that's new at McMaster this year. They said there's not that many people in the program, so you can make good friends and be on good terms with the professors. Take French! That's a really easy way to get the language requirement. Lol, at least I thought so.

Edit #2: Lol, oh yeah, another requirement pertaining to 2nd year Psych: 6 units from PSYCH 1XX3, 2H03.

Last edited by feonateresa : 06-27-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-27-2009 at 03:37 PM   #3
bangbang

Liked: 0 Times

thanks soooo much ....you have no idea how many of my stresses you have just cleared up!!