MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSAP and Living Off Campus and On Rez MacPack Financial Aid 3 08-16-2010 04:10 PM
Living Expenses?? binbrook23 General Discussion 12 07-03-2009 07:09 PM
Living Off-Campus? Dominique First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-04-2008 03:02 PM
living off-campus lorend General Discussion 3 01-07-2008 10:01 AM
Living In and Around Mac in Sept Chad Residence & Off-Campus Living 0 06-28-2007 03:26 PM

Living with conflicts

Old 08-13-2009 at 01:10 PM   #1
ARose

Liked: 0 Times

Living with conflicts
So it may be too soon to tell, but I think I may have to deal with some conflicts that can't be resolved. I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever gone through the year with unresolved conflicts. How did you deal with it? Did you have someone take notes for you all the time, or did you alternate between the classes every other week?
Old 08-13-2009 at 01:31 PM   #2
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARose View Post
So it may be too soon to tell, but I think I may have to deal with some conflicts that can't be resolved. I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever gone through the year with unresolved conflicts. How did you deal with it? Did you have someone take notes for you all the time, or did you alternate between the classes every other week?
Im wondering the same thing. After fiddling around in SOLAR...ive realized that due to all the filled courses, my conflict is almost impossible to get rid of.
Old 08-13-2009 at 01:42 PM   #3
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

The only issue would be with exam scheduling. They can't do anything for you if you have exams scheduled on top of each other because you took classes that conflicted.

I think it would be wise to try your best to get rid of the conflict. Can you take one of the courses next year or in the summer? Having to skip a class all the time really isn't good... especially in first year.
Old 08-13-2009 at 01:56 PM   #4
Dgot11

if these are required courses for your program, there should be a way to schedule those courses without conflict. Try using the undergrad cal. and first trying to section your required courses, then see which electives fit around your required. If you have a conflict because of electives my best advice is to try and find other electives that fit in your schedule. You can't always get what you want when it comes to courses.
Old 08-13-2009 at 01:58 PM   #5
ARose

I wish I could, but I can't afford to pay for summer school. But that would be the ideal solution! The silly thing is that none of these classes are electives or anything - they're all required courses. So it can't just be me who has these specific conflicts. :\

Edit: I don't have electives
Old 08-13-2009 at 02:00 PM   #6
mellye
Elite Member

Liked: 29 Times

i have the same issue. None of my conflicting courses can be switched and they're required... When I asked the person on the phone, she basically said it's not recommended because if they happen to have tests on the same day, nothing can be done.

I've heard the exam can be switched, though people get fussy over it.
Old 08-13-2009 at 03:03 PM   #7
mallo788
Account Disabled by User

Liked: Liked 3 Times

from what I can understand, all of your classes are required, but there are two times you can take them (ex you can either take it first semester or second semester). is this correct? if so, you can email your department contact (email addresses found here: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /scheduling/coursett.html under "department contacts). Sometimes even though a class says "full," a few seats are actually held for students who need that course to fulfill requirements. try emailing your department contact and see if they can help.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-13-2009 at 03:05 PM   #8
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallo788 View Post
from what I can understand, all of your classes are required, but there are two times you can take them (ex you can either take it first semester or second semester). is this correct? if so, you can email your department contact (email addresses found here: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /scheduling/coursett.html under "department contacts). Sometimes even though a class says "full," a few seats are actually held for students who need that course to fulfill requirements. try emailing your department contact and see if they can help.

Hope that helps!
i'll be sure to try this asap
Old 08-13-2009 at 03:10 PM   #9
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Yes if all your courses are required then there is definitely a way for you to have a conflict free schedule. If the cores/tutorials you need to make a conflict free schedule out of your required classes are full than you need to contact the right people asap. You do not have to just live with conflicts if you only have required courses and it isn't electives causing the problem. You just have to have seats opened up for you in the right sections to create a conflict free schedule.
Old 08-13-2009 at 04:02 PM   #10
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

you can't live with a conflict. it would be very difficult to do so. you might end up rescheduling exams and this will just cause more stress. You should change courses or drop it and think about taking summer school or take it in another year.
Old 08-13-2009 at 04:10 PM   #11
Kareko

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
I've heard the exam can be switched, though people get fussy over it.
no. if you have a really good reason..like someone died or you are hospitalized it can be put off but not switched really..
and you don't want to do that cause its a large space of time

for instance I think if you postponed it second term last year you took the exam in JUNE!!
that's months after your last class..which would suck a lot
its a lot easier if you can get it resolved now or take a class later on
Old 08-13-2009 at 04:17 PM   #12
ARose

Hmm.... so, no one has ever lived with a conflict then? I'm going into third year, and it's the first time this has happened to me. All the other times I've been able to request a seat in a full tut or lecture or whatever, and fix it. But from my understanding, my classes are only offered once a year, not both terms. It's not like engineering I, when I had a lot of options. I'll email my department and see what they say about it. Thanks for the advice though, guys!
Old 08-13-2009 at 09:04 PM   #13
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I've heard of people going through the year with conflicts, but they basically are skipping one or both classes. It depends on your learning style, and if you can do well without going to class, which I doubt in my general opinion, then go for it. I wouldn't recommend this in first year though.
Old 08-13-2009 at 09:14 PM   #14
merissa

Liked: Liked 4 Times

I have conflicts with my timetable and there is no way around them.. All of my courses are required. Everybody in my program would have the same conflict though, so I'm assuming the Registrar will have to make some changes.. ?
Old 08-13-2009 at 09:24 PM   #15
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I've had unresolved conflicts on *counts* 6 different occasions. I turned out TV...just make sure you speak with the professor, and find a reliable classmate to help you out if you miss a lecture or something.

And as for exams...of course you can declare an exam conflict.

Part of your tuition fees includes the right to write your final exam.

Quote:

Currently, the only regulations, which exist governing the scheduling of examinations recognize:

a) A direct conflict between Two Registrar scheduled examinations;
b) A schedule with three examinations in one calendar day or three consecutive examinations.

http://www.msumcmaster.ca/content/do...g%20Policy.pdf

Conflicts can be reported to the registrar's office, but must be done as soon as the information becomes available (a week or two after the final exam schedule is finalized and posted).

ARose says thanks to Mowicz for this post.