MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Random question ... kirsten..! Residence & Housing 11 07-04-2010 02:08 PM
Living with conflicts ARose General Discussion 16 08-13-2009 09:32 PM
Living Expenses?? binbrook23 General Discussion 12 07-03-2009 07:09 PM
Living In and Around Mac in Sept Chad Residence & Off-Campus Living 0 06-28-2007 03:26 PM

Living with random Housemates?

Old 07-25-2011 at 07:14 PM   #1
Armada

Liked: 0 Times

Living with random Housemates?
Hey everyone, I'm knew to this forums and Mcmaster. I will be starting in the fall for a 2 year professional degree (Physician Assistant) and have completed undergrad at UofT Scarborough.

I havn't lived away from home before and will be living with 4 random individuals at West Village Suites.

So far I havn't found any good sources or guides on living with other housemates and was wondering if you guys could give some feedback and links to sources that discuss what to expect and such?

I'm excited but also nervous of not knowing what to expect
Old 07-25-2011 at 07:24 PM   #2
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

If possible, meet up with them prior to moving in for coffee/lunch/dinner/drinks so you can get to know them a bit beforehand.

Hopefully you guys will click and get along well but you may not end up being best friends with them (which is fine), just be respectful of their space/privacy and clean up after yourself and it should work out.
Old 07-25-2011 at 07:31 PM   #3
Armada

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemaking View Post
If possible, meet up with them prior to moving in for coffee/lunch/dinner/drinks so you can get to know them a bit beforehand.

Hopefully you guys will click and get along well but you may not end up being best friends with them (which is fine), just be respectful of their space/privacy and clean up after yourself and it should work out.
Yeah that's what I plan on doing. Would it seem odd to have like a discussion in the beginning and to agree on some house rules and understandings?

All info is appreciated so thanks!
Old 07-25-2011 at 07:37 PM   #4
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armada View Post
Yeah that's what I plan on doing. Would it seem odd to have like a discussion in the beginning and to agree on some house rules and understandings?

All info is appreciated so thanks!
Not at all, that's pretty much standard when you move in with people, especially ones you don't know. Even when I moved off campus with friends in 2nd year, we typed out a house agreement (rules on guests, parties, chores etc).
Old 07-25-2011
SydWitches
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-25-2011
Armada
Old 07-25-2011
toosh
Old 07-25-2011
tyrant
Old 07-25-2011 at 08:45 PM   #5
SydWitches
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

tyrant why do you always randomly come into conversations that have nothing to do with you, and who you helping out you fake internet hero.

just remember nice guys finish last.
Old 07-25-2011 at 08:47 PM   #6
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydWitches View Post
tyrant why do you always randomly come into conversations that have nothing to do with you, and who you helping out you fake internet hero.

just remember nice guys finish last.
yeah, all over your face.
Old 07-25-2011 at 08:53 PM   #7
Armada

please guys lets keep it on topic..
Old 07-25-2011 at 09:10 PM   #8
toosh

Liked: 15 Times

Sorry for going off track there but follow the link below and download the pdf(Student Success Guide - Off-Campus Resource Centre)...pg 10 gives some tips on roommates...

What has always worked for me is being open and frank while respecting others. Basically just being mature. Communicate and discuss things that come up to avoid any awkwardness. People respect you that way.

All the best!

Armada, BlueWave all say thanks to toosh for this post.
Old 07-25-2011 at 11:05 PM   #9
Johnny162

Liked: 16 Times

Definitely have a serious conversation with everyone at the beginning to set up the house rules. I found that the biggest issue was chores. keeping on top of people to get chores done can be a hassle, so i recommend creating a chore list (we made a chore wheel) and posting it in a visible spot. That way everyone can tell who has dropped the ball in a certain area and it doesnt have to be the same person going after the slackers (if any) all the time. Also be respectful of noise. My room is right off the kitchen so of course noise can be an issue at times, but once i discussed with everyone my habits/preferences, they were pretty respectful. just keep in mind that it is a 'give and take' situation and that there will always be issues, big or small, but try not to get stressed out over the little things and in the end you may find yourself becoming very close with each other. Best of Luck! also, good luck with your new program
Old 07-26-2011 at 07:47 AM   #10
SydWitches
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny162 View Post
Definitely have a serious conversation with everyone at the beginning to set up the house rules. I found that the biggest issue was chores. keeping on top of people to get chores done can be a hassle, so i recommend creating a chore list (we made a chore wheel) and posting it in a visible spot. That way everyone can tell who has dropped the ball in a certain area and it doesnt have to be the same person going after the slackers (if any) all the time. Also be respectful of noise. My room is right off the kitchen so of course noise can be an issue at times, but once i discussed with everyone my habits/preferences, they were pretty respectful. just keep in mind that it is a 'give and take' situation and that there will always be issues, big or small, but try not to get stressed out over the little things and in the end you may find yourself becoming very close with each other. Best of Luck! also, good luck with your new program
the cleaning is done for him in westvillage.

Armada says thanks to SydWitches for this post.
Old 08-15-2011 at 02:53 PM   #11
thatdudeukno

I'm living with random housemates too. Everything is an experience, I think it will be fun!