MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
West Village Suites - don't live here JackBauer133 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 8 05-12-2010 10:56 PM
West Village Suites... mh519 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 20 08-11-2009 07:43 PM

Living in West Village Suites 2011/2012

Old 03-23-2011 at 07:52 PM   #16
Phaint
Account Locked

Liked: 131 Times

A $1000 more well spent.

I have a shitty double room at mac right now. I'd pay double what I'm paying now for bates or keyes or even a single with my own washroom.

West Village? Better than all of the above and better pricing too.
Old 03-25-2011 at 11:34 PM   #17
CAHopeful
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

did you play h3, or reach? phaint seems like a halo gt.

50 in MLG with 500 wins on it, you mad, brah?

Phaint likes this.
Old 04-13-2011 at 09:13 PM   #18
Off_Campus

Liked: 0 Times

Oops
I didn't know about the internet...
Old 04-13-2011 at 10:23 PM   #19
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

Super nice building. Building management is not bad either. However, your experience will be based on whether you move in with people you know or its a lottery in terms of what roommates you will be assigned.
Old 04-14-2011 at 12:17 AM   #20
Scarecrow
Dr. Crane

Liked: 89 Times

Rule (in case anyone was too thick to infer this): Generally, when something says "student housing", "student ______" or seems to cater to students in particular in the way it is advertised, it is too good to be true or will disappoint you.

Students clamour over things that are labelled or advertised conveniently... yet a lot of them don't realize that an apartment is an apartment and a house is a house.

Then again, 99% of University students also don't have any reasonably applicable real-world interpersonal skills...so...

(Yes, that still includes the guys who get voted on as reps and run for student _______ rep)
Old 05-02-2011 at 12:45 AM   #21
Dopematic

Liked: 28 Times

My friends and I had a pretty shitty (pun intended) experience living here, but maybe we're just really unlucky...

There was A LOT of stuff that was left there by the previous tenants, which was obviously not removed by management before letting us move in. The bathrooms still had shampoo, soap, etc.; the kitchen still had a bunch of food in it (and, on top of that, was absolutely filthy); and the two storage closets were literally filled with random junk (dirty mattresses, boxes, undergarments; enough to start our own Value Village) from the previous tenants. One of the bathrooms had a broken shower-head, broken towel bar, and a bunch of burnt-out light bulbs still screwed into the sockets. And to top it all off, inside of the closet located by the main entrance of the suite, we found cat feces.

Yeah - there was cat shit in our suite.

Unfortunately, most of this stuff remained that way throughout our 8-month stay, even after emailing management about it. Fortunately, the cleaning ladies were able to find the cat crap and clean it - on their second trip to our suite.

Some might think that I am exaggerating about our experience. Honestly, I wish I was.
Old 05-02-2011 at 01:19 AM   #22
Chris98

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopematic View Post
Unfortunately, most of this stuff remained that way throughout our 8-month stay, even after emailing management about it.
a) Did management respond? If so, what did they say?

b) Why would you be emailing them about this fairly serious issue instead of calling them?
Old 05-02-2011 at 03:22 AM   #23
Phaint
Account Locked

Yea. I found it kinda weird that so much random shit was left in my suite but nothing too bad, some of it is probably going to be useful. I thought it was just because one of my roommates lived here last year but apparently this is the norm for them? wtf.

Anyways I just moved in, no real complaint so far other than I don't like the positioning of my balcony in relation to other rooms' position but I can't have everything. I'm in a 4 person room and one of the rooms is vacant so I basically have my own washroom, pretty cool.
Old 05-02-2011 at 12:49 PM   #24
Dopematic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris98 View Post
a) Did management respond? If so, what did they say?

b) Why would you be emailing them about this fairly serious issue instead of calling them?
a) Yeah, management responded saying that it would be taken care of. After a couple of days no one had shown up so we just decided to clean most of it ourselves - we weren't going to just keep living in that mess. So we threw out a bunch of stuff, and literally scrubbed down the kitchen and bathroom.

b) After finding all of that stuff in our place, we went down to the front desk to complain. They told us to email management. Yeah, I admit that we probably could/should have harassed management until they finally came up and took care of it.

We were just shocked at the fact that they actually let us move into that mess in the first place. For $700/month, we definitely expected something better than what we got.

sunshine234 likes this.
Old 05-17-2011 at 11:27 AM   #25
sunshine234

Liked: Liked 2 Times

West Village Suites Management is total GARBAGE!
I agree that the management is a complete joke at West village suites! They are rude and condescending and have absolutely no regard for students or their money. I wanted to live in the building from sep-april, when i called to inquire about the lease they had told me that they do 8-month leases for an additional 100 dollars per month on top of the rent. i thought that was better than a 12 month lease so i agreed to that, signed a reservation form and gave in my deposit. Then a couple of months later called to see the status of the application and the manager of leases/deposits informs me that they are not offering the 8 month lease in 2011 and i will have to sign a 12 month lease instead so i asked for my 300 dollar deposit back, and they said NO. she was extremely rude and condescending with her tone and did not seem to care that a miscommunication between her staff members is not my fault. Asking for a deposit back in april is VERY early notice - they can still fill up this space with someone else for september. I feel like the management should be more accommodating and be able to take criticism when they're wrong. I would definitely not have signed a form or paid a deposit if I had been provided proper information about their lease. When I said that I would complain to McMaster off-campus housing board as well as BBB (Better Business Bureau), she had the nerve to say go ahead complain as much as you want - she doesn't care. WHAT kind of business runs that way?? Apparently she seems to think that NOT one single person aside from myself has had any issues with their building and their management. I would not recommend living in this building while this management is in place. They seem to think that because we're students, we're stupid.

alh24, mediagurl all say thanks to sunshine234 for this post.

alh24, pavlov like this.
Old 05-17-2011 at 01:32 PM   #26
Phaint
Account Locked

I had a bit of a mess in my suite but one of my roommates mothers bitched at the management and within 2 days they sent people to clean up all our issues. Few days later they came again and replaced all our light bulbs and stuff. So far zero complaints other than weird internet connection at times and the placement of my room above garbage disposal (so loud in the morning :()
Old 05-17-2011 at 04:05 PM   #27
AmyLia

I am really glad I stumbled upon this thread...I was going to fill out an application not so long ago. Finances didn't work out or I would've had some serious regrets about my deposit right about now...