MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SOCS: West Village Suites leasee question!! bubblegum3 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-14-2010 06:08 PM
West Village Suites - Fall 2010 pavlov Residence & Housing 0 07-30-2010 11:05 AM
West Village Suites - don't live here JackBauer133 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 8 05-12-2010 10:56 PM
west village suites information needed! sparkypea Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 11 02-06-2010 09:02 PM

West Village Suites...

Old 07-21-2009 at 08:10 PM   #1
mh519

Liked: 0 Times

West Village Suites...
Hey everyone, I'm going to be at Mac in the fall as a first year student and am living at the west village suites....
does anyone know any good or bad things about it? Like will living here take away from the first year experience that you get in residence or will it be similar because you are still rooming with students....
Thanks =)
Old 07-21-2009 at 08:11 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I heard there was people pissed off when it first opened because they said it would be open by a certain date, and it wasn't, forcing people to find accomodations for like a week or so. Otherwise, I heard it's fine. It seems like a nice place, with a couple restaurants and other nice features.
Old 07-21-2009 at 08:18 PM   #3
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

I lived in west village suites for my second year and I plan on living there for the rest of my time at mcmaster.

Feona's right. There were a lot of problems when they first opened up but now it seems to be okay. Also recently we got a new manager who seems to be really good at getting things down in a timely fashion so there shouldn't be any problems.

Is it like res? Yes and no. Yes its like res in the sense that there are only students there. No because everyone usually already has friends and aren't really going around looking to make friends in the common areas. That being said, I've mad a lot of new friends living there and there were quite a few first years living there last year. No also because you are more independent here. There are no CAs to enforce rules and you have to take care of your own cooking, cleaning etc.

Old 07-21-2009 at 08:26 PM   #4
AlchemistX

Liked: 11 Times

Its a great place. I moving in there this coming year too, Im going into second year. The building is home to Charlie West, its a pretty cool club and they always have big events and it all ages too, every wednesday and other select nights, just incase you're underage.

In terms of it being like rez its yes and no. Yea you have the chance to meet peole and make friends but you don't have CAs, no rules, besides the ones set by the landlord, and you are alot more independent. But you should be alright since the building is 100% students.
Old 07-29-2009 at 04:15 PM   #5
c.thomson

Liked: 4 Times

It's a brand new building so you know that you're getting a reliable, dry and clean room, but it can be an expensive business.

For one, it's a 12-month lease, and you also have to pay for utilities on top of your rent. And for those of you that are going to tell me to sublet in the summer- finding someone is very difficult, plus your are still responsible for their actions.

Also, it's not very close to campus, it's a good 30 minute walk, or you can take the bus, but the bus will drop you off at the very edge of campus. So to me it's not worth it.
Old 07-29-2009 at 04:42 PM   #6
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Utilities are 70 flat...that's not too shabby for heat, hydro, cleaning, cable and internet. It's kind of stressful to go around getting all your own bills organized and stuff, so it really depends. Although the entire package certainly is expensive, I'm not going to argue.

I'm looking into this place, but my roommate is not a Mac student. Does anyone know if that'd be a problem?

(I plan to cycle, so it's probably the perfect distance for me)
Old 07-29-2009 at 04:56 PM   #7
AlchemistX

I dont think that is a problem but I think your roommate has to be a student in post-secondary in general
Old 07-29-2009 at 05:04 PM   #8
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
I'm looking into this place, but my roommate is not a Mac student. Does anyone know if that'd be a problem?
I think it's Mac students only... When you sign the agreement you have to give your student number.

I'm subletting there right now. I like it but it's too far and expensive to consider living there during the year.
Old 07-29-2009 at 05:21 PM   #9
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Bah...thanks.

I was hoping since I was a student I could rent a 2-person flat with him and vouch for his good behaviour or something like that...lots of doors are closed because he's not a student haha.

I should just ditch him. xD
Old 07-29-2009 at 06:28 PM   #10
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.thomson View Post

Also, it's not very close to campus, it's a good 30 minute walk, or you can take the bus,
It's not a 30 minute walk. I don't know of anyone that takes 30 minutes to walk to campus. It takes about 15 minutes max. to get from the suites to the student center.

Also yes, the bus only drops you off near the hospital but a lot of people have classes near there so its not a big deal and it reduces bus traffic on campus which is good.

Old 07-29-2009 at 08:04 PM   #11
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Bah...thanks.

I was hoping since I was a student I could rent a 2-person flat with him and vouch for his good behaviour or something like that...lots of doors are closed because he's not a student haha.

I should just ditch him. xD
Lol! Perhaps make up a student number? I doubt they check to be honest. How could they, they're an external company!

The two person suites are gorgeous. Especially if you get one with the terrace. I think your bedroom connects to the terrace. Sooo expensive though.
Old 07-29-2009 at 09:16 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Utilities are 70 flat...that's not too shabby for heat, hydro, cleaning, cable and internet. It's kind of stressful to go around getting all your own bills organized and stuff, so it really depends. Although the entire package certainly is expensive, I'm not going to argue.

(I plan to cycle, so it's probably the perfect distance for me)
Wait a second... cleaning? Like someone comes and cleans your room?
Old 07-29-2009 at 09:17 PM   #13
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Personal maid service sounds pretty good!
Old 07-29-2009 at 09:22 PM   #14
AlchemistX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Yup. They come once every two weeks. They clean the washrooms and the common areas.
Old 07-29-2009 at 09:26 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemistX View Post
Yup. They come once every two weeks. They clean the washrooms and the common areas.
Oh, so you technically still have to clean. Unless you don't have a problem with using a washroom that's cleaned every 2 weeks o.O

But 70$ for all that is still a really good price. I'm pretty sure internet and cable already runs past that.