MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SOCS: West Village Suites leasee question!! bubblegum3 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-14-2010 06:08 PM
West Village Suites - Fall 2010 pavlov Residence & Housing 0 07-30-2010 11:05 AM
West Village Suites - don't live here JackBauer133 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 8 05-12-2010 10:56 PM
West Village Suites... mh519 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 20 08-11-2009 07:43 PM

west village suites information needed!

Old 02-06-2010 at 12:21 PM   #1
sparkypea

Liked: 0 Times

west village suites information needed!
I've heard so many different things about west village suites. I am thinking about living there next term, but would like a few things cleared up.
1. how far a walk is the building from the campus? (I have heard everything from 10 minutes to 30 minutes!)
2. what buses run near the building?
3. is the internet fast and reliable?
4. I have heard that you can be charged if you go over the set utilities limit (is it easy to go over this limit/how much extra do they charge you?)
If there is anything else that would be important to know before signing a lease with west village suites, please share!
Old 02-06-2010 at 12:44 PM   #2
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Sorry I can't answer any of the questions you asked, but I know students can't sign leases. Only their parents can.
Old 02-06-2010 at 12:46 PM   #3
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

i can answer 1. west suite villages is 1.6km from mac, according to google maps it would take 19 minutes to walk from there. Its doable in the summer, not so much in the winter.
Old 02-06-2010 at 12:53 PM   #4
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Sorry I can't answer any of the questions you asked, but I know students can't sign leases. Only their parents can.
Really?...I don't think so. Unless that rule is specific to the West Village Condos or something, I'm fairly certain students can sign leases as long as they are 18 years old or over.

As for the walk, it depends on how fast you walk...Using Google Maps (which happens to be very similar to my walking speed) it takes about 15 mins to walk to the hospital, and 5 minutes to bus. The bus routes that run by the condos are 10, 5E, and 52, but I'm not sure if the Beeline Express (route 10) stops at the condos.
Old 02-06-2010 at 12:58 PM   #5
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I'm pretty sure it was West Village Suites, but you could be right. Whichever place it was, it said students of any age had to have their parents sign .. which is stupid. I think it was West Village Suites though.
Old 02-06-2010 at 01:04 PM   #6
bauhaual

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkypea View Post
I've heard so many different things about west village suites. I am thinking about living there next term, but would like a few things cleared up.
1. how far a walk is the building from the campus? (I have heard everything from 10 minutes to 30 minutes!)
2. what buses run near the building?
3. is the internet fast and reliable?
4. I have heard that you can be charged if you go over the set utilities limit (is it easy to go over this limit/how much extra do they charge you?)
If there is anything else that would be important to know before signing a lease with west village suites, please share!
1. Well i lived there during the summer, so yea the walk wasn't that bad...i would say 15 minutes...definitely not 30, unless you walk crazy slow or something.
2. There are a lot of buses that run pass the building. The bus stops are right out front. The stop # for coming to MAC is 2646, and on HSR site these are the buses that pass by: the 05 and the 10 BLine. And i feel like a lot more pass by there going from MAC, but i don't know for sure.
3. I actually had a few problems with the internet while I was there. It would randomly stop working for like 2 hours, so then i would go to the gym, and by the time i came back it was usually up again, but yea that was kinda annoying...but maybe that was just my shitty luck or something.
4. I've never heard of anyone going over the limit, I never did, so i don't know how much you would have to use to go over.

5. I think that access to a gym is a nice bonus...it's super close to Fortinos for when you need groceries. I really liked living in the condos, aside from the fact that the internet stopped working on me a few times, I would definitely live there again. But I also lived there in the summer only, so that may be different than during a school year. Also, the laundry system sucks just as much as it does in residence so that's not any better.
Old 02-06-2010 at 02:10 PM   #7
tbiris

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I'm pretty sure it was West Village Suites, but you could be right. Whichever place it was, it said students of any age had to have their parents sign .. which is stupid. I think it was West Village Suites though.
I can say that's not the case since I was the one that signed my own lease. I was 18 at the time.

1. Takes me 15 minutes to center campus. It really depends on how fast you are and the weather.
2. 5B, 51 and 10. May have missed one.
3.It is generally pretty fast for me and I didn't have problems until we had to get our router switched last year ( a roommate reset it so the security settings were gone)
4. I actually made a month's worth of utilities back last year. This year I expect I might have to pay since the lights end up on all the time.

I would come and look at the suites first if I was you, it's expensive for some people and you might want to just see if it's something you want to live in for a while. It might be better if you move in with someone you know too so you don't get the roulette room mates.
Old 02-06-2010 at 05:38 PM   #8
KaylaG
Account Disabled by User

i live there and students can sign leases
Old 02-06-2010 at 07:44 PM   #9
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

Yeah it usually only takes me 15-20 minutes max..
Internet is pretty good for the most part, there will sometimes be periods where it won't work so you just unplug the modem then plug it back in..
I really haven't had any problems, I love that there's a gym upstairs and that there are study rooms.. ur close to fortinos, metro, and shoppers drug mart.. you get cleaning twice a month, the rooms are pretty big, no need to worry about snow removal, the rent may be pricey but you do get ur money's worth (essentially ur paying for a gym membership, extra study space, 2 games rooms, easy access to 2 restaurants and a hair salon, a spacious room, kitchen, and bathroom (only con: the shower's really tiny lol, but there's one shower for 2 people), etc etc.. It's a really good transition between rez and completely living on your own.
Old 02-06-2010 at 08:43 PM   #10
KaylaG
Account Disabled by User

i love it here! i lived in a student house in 2nd year because i wanted the 'house experience' and really wished I just lived here instead. It's so clean and everything is available. Plus, I feel safe since there is 24/7 security.
Old 02-06-2010 at 08:48 PM   #11
sparkypea

Thank you for all of the information. I think that it sounds like the perfect place for me!
Old 02-06-2010 at 09:02 PM   #12
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
i can answer 1. west suite villages is 1.6km from mac, according to google maps it would take 19 minutes to walk from there. Its doable in the summer, not so much in the winter.
20 Minutes is perfectly doable. But, I think it will take half an hour from WV.

Not ideal though.