MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
West Village Suites - Fall 2010 pavlov Residence & Housing 0 07-30-2010 11:05 AM
West Village Suites - don't live here JackBauer133 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 8 05-12-2010 10:56 PM
west village suites information needed! sparkypea Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 11 02-06-2010 09:02 PM
West Village Suites... mh519 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 20 08-11-2009 07:43 PM

SOCS: West Village Suites leasee question!!

Old 08-14-2010 at 07:00 AM   #1
bubblegum3
Account Disabled by User

Liked: Liked 2 Times

SOCS: West Village Suites leasee question!!
hi, So I was planning on taking the summer of 2011 off and I asked west village for an 8 month leasee. Turns out you have to pay a 100 bucks extra per month and the rent comes out to 700. Thats rediculous! They said I could always get a 12 month lease for 600 and sublet the summer months. Has anyone done that before? Is there a lot of demand for housing in the Summer? Pleasee let me know asappp thankkss
Old 08-14-2010 at 12:24 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegum3 View Post
hi, So I was planning on taking the summer of 2011 off and I asked west village for an 8 month leasee. Turns out you have to pay a 100 bucks extra per month and the rent comes out to 700. Thats rediculous! They said I could always get a 12 month lease for 600 and sublet the summer months. Has anyone done that before? Is there a lot of demand for housing in the Summer? Pleasee let me know asappp thankkss
The demand for housing in summer is very low. There are soooooooooooooo many houses around McMaster and not enough students to fill them.

To make up for the different, you have to get 600$ atleast. 125$ is really cheap, you can probably get 250-300. The only thing is if you can find someone.
Old 08-14-2010 at 04:57 PM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegum3 View Post
$600 x 12 = $7 200
$700 x 8 = $5 600

As Jeremy said, it's not the easiest thing in the world to find a subletter. It's cheaper overall to take the $700/month for 8 months. Although, if you only have an 8-month lease, there's no guarantee the room will be available the following Sept when you're back in school. You can probably get a different room in West Village, though--I'm not sure how quickly they fill up.

$600 or $700 is still pretty expensive, though. Typical rent is anywhere from $350-$450 for the houses around campus. If money is an issue, you might want to look into that--even if you get a 12-month lease, it'll still be cheaper.
Old 08-14-2010 at 05:18 PM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Why would you ever live @ west village? Its far (need a bus ride) and much more expensive than houses closer to mac.
Old 08-14-2010 at 05:59 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
$600 x 12 = $7 200
$700 x 8 = $5 600

As Jeremy said, it's not the easiest thing in the world to find a subletter. It's cheaper overall to take the $700/month for 8 months. Although, if you only have an 8-month lease, there's no guarantee the room will be available the following Sept when you're back in school. You can probably get a different room in West Village, though--I'm not sure how quickly they fill up.

$600 or $700 is still pretty expensive, though. Typical rent is anywhere from $350-$450 for the houses around campus. If money is an issue, you might want to look into that--even if you get a 12-month lease, it'll still be cheaper.
Oh man! Thanks so much for redoing the calculations. 1600 is what has to be made up which is 400$ per month. That's really pricey for summer and I don't think anyone would rent at that price.
Old 08-14-2010 at 06:08 PM   #6
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Why would you ever live @ west village? Its far (need a bus ride) and much more expensive than houses closer to mac.
Before I knew I'd be on res, I was considering WVS because I just feel more comfortable in an apartment than a house. I've lived in them for most of my childhood and I feel more secure because there are more people, you have a landlord, less maintenance etc (no shovelling)

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences