MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

Looking to 2nd year.

Old 07-09-2009 at 06:12 PM   #1
LBJ.MVP

Liked: 16 Times

Looking to 2nd year.
I know this is quite a jump but i was wondering about second year programs that i want to get into. Since i want to try to get into med, what would be considered the easier programs (i.e maybe more electives ) for me to take in second year? Im currently enrolled in first year life science at MAc. Any ideas? Or am i going about this the wrong way and the diff prog are basically on a level playing field and i should pick one that plays to my strengths? Thx for any replies.
Old 07-09-2009 at 06:14 PM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

They're pretty much the same. Pick a program that you're interested in, not just one with easy electives. You need to be able to justify your program of choice.
Old 07-09-2009 at 06:17 PM   #3
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

First year life science is general, you will have couple electives, but courses are fixed. There is summer school for people who wants fast tracking 2nd year.

1st term life science is easy as it is mostly gr 12 review, 2nd term life science is more new stuff.

From there you can choose, your degree, med,bio, etc. Look into that.
If you pick something like bio or chem, be sure to see 2nd year courses as 80% bio or chem.

Old 07-09-2009 at 09:12 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

You should realy pick a program that interest you. If you don't get into medical school then you'll have the next best thing, your favourite program.
Old 07-09-2009 at 10:09 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

I'm actually thinking the same thing, but it'll be easier once you're at mac to see the courses and people in upper years in a specific program that you can find out first-hand information about programs you're interested in
Old 07-09-2009 at 10:24 PM   #6
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

You'll start to learn after first year that nothing is really easy around here. You really have to work hard at everything if you want to succeed. Getting into med school is pretty flexible... they mainly look for that high average. Just go with something you really like so that you'll enjoy doing it and that way you'll pull of the grades and hopefully get into med school.

Good Luck!
Old 07-09-2009 at 11:14 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelp View Post
You'll start to learn after first year that nothing is really easy around here. You really have to work hard at everything if you want to succeed. Getting into med school is pretty flexible... they mainly look for that high average. Just go with something you really like so that you'll enjoy doing it and that way you'll pull of the grades and hopefully get into med school.

Good Luck!
You also need a lot of non-academics to get into medical school. 40% of the application looks at your non-academics.
Old 07-10-2009 at 12:10 AM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Read these articles on med school to learn about the programs you need to be in to get in (lies! there are none!): http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1858 6 & http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1891 6

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Joseph says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 07-10-2009 at 12:45 AM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You also need a lot of non-academics to get into medical school. 40% of the application looks at your non-academics.
Actually, when I went to one of U of T's seminars, the lecturer mentionned that GPA/MCAT scores make up 40% of the evaluation. 40% is the volunteer work and such, and the 20% is based on the interview. That's only for the entrance of Fall 2009. So that's definitely subject to change.
Old 07-10-2009 at 12:58 AM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Actually, when I went to one of U of T's seminars, the lecturer mentionned that GPA/MCAT scores make up 40% of the evaluation. 40% is the volunteer work and such, and the 20% is based on the interview. That's only for the entrance of Fall 2009. So that's definitely subject to change.
Well, I was technically right :\
Old 07-10-2009 at 01:07 AM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Well, I was technically right :\
Technically yes, I dunno I just felt like adding in the extra info. NOt to say that you were wrong or anything! =]
Old 07-10-2009 at 01:14 AM   #12
Joseph

Liked: 132 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Read these articles on med school to learn about the programs you need to be in to get in (lies! there are none!): http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1858 6 & http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1891 6
Wow, thanks for posting that. I just finished reading those two articles, and I learned a lot of new things. Thanks!

Also, it would be wise to do some research. All medical schools have different requirements. Here's another great article you may want to check out:

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2191 6

Last edited by Joseph : 07-10-2009 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-10-2009 at 01:30 AM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

You're welcome. The friend who helped me write it is finishing up his first year of clerkship right now. And his band is still really active; they're actually playing a show on July 10th.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-10-2009 at 09:37 AM   #14
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

the question is, after maybe 1 or 2 years of university will you even still want to go to medical school?

i dont mean you'll be bored of school altogether, i just mean that some new opportunities present themselves, or you find something else you might really be interested in.

i was thinking medical school since like grade 9, now... im not so sure if thats the route i want to take.

just keep your options open, obviously take bio/chem/some physics whatever, and medical school requirements are pretty flexible, especially schools like mac which dont require you to take any specific courses...
Old 07-10-2009 at 11:15 AM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

That's actually true. I know a lot of people who actually changed their mind. And even if medical school is your number one goal, with the thousands of other applicants, you should definitely have the backups.