MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's wrong with my OSAP? GregoryVV Financial Aid 1 08-17-2010 01:04 AM
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG -timetable MIpolice First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-12-2010 10:33 AM
Wrong Address goodnews.inc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-30-2009 03:01 AM
Picked courses in SOLAR. Is that it? Boolean Academics 26 07-13-2009 01:28 PM
Am I doing something wrong here? kacey24 Academics 4 09-29-2007 10:09 PM

Looks like we all picked the wrong school...

Old 12-29-2010 at 11:43 AM   #61
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
...Sometimes I wonder if our problem isn't that things are so bad, but that Mac students are much more demanding than students at other schools.
Mac students are demanding?

Ha
Ha ha..
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA HAHAHAHHAHAHAH....

Old 12-29-2010 at 01:43 PM   #62
killza

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed that mac students are generally discontented with everything? Sometimes I wonder if our problem isn't that things are so bad, but that Mac students are much more demanding than students at other schools.
Really? Demanding? I think we're just pointing out what we want/could be improved, I mean that's why we have the student union right? So our compliments can actually be heard and considered. As a SRA member, you should know that better than anyone else. However, I think it's fair to say that Mac students should demand for a better course registration course system. The level of fail for SOLAR is on a epic scale.
Old 12-29-2010 at 01:50 PM   #63
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

It's a ****ing degree. If it comes from Western, McMaster, U of T, Queen's, your future employers aren't really going to give two flying ****s where your degree came from, as long as it comes from one of the better schools in Ontario. It's about your involvement with the school, your initiative, leadership, and not what you know, but who you know, really. There is nothing wrong with Mac's quality of education and the only thing that people really consistently complain about is SOLAR, so y'all just shut up and I end this rant with a good old Wuck Festern.
Old 12-29-2010 at 04:49 PM   #64
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
A member of the SRA everybody...wow, the fact that you actually think that's what's going on is sad. Step down from your position, you have no place representing McMaster students.
I'm not saying we don't have problems with the school. What I'm saying is that Mac students tend to be very acutely aware of where Mac falls short and are far more likely to voice their complaints. This could be the problem with why we suffer in the rankings which heavily weight student feedback.

All I ever hear from Western and Queens students is constant boosterism. I have a hard time believing their schools are THAT good, especially when more objective rankings place us ahead.

Also I'm sorry if demanding came off with a negative connotation. I have always associated with individuals who are smart and assertive enough to know what they want and ask for it. I did not think when writing a hasty post from an airport longue that it might be interpreted otherwise. Perhaps its would be more accurate to say Western and Queen's students are less critical of their own schools then they maybe should be, while Mac students aren't afraid to speak out when they aren't happy with what's going on.

I honestly believe one of Mac's biggest strength is our student body. If any one on here has any issue that they'd like to raise, I'd be more than happy to talk with you even if you are not in Kinesiology. But in answer to the demands for resignation I will not be doing so. I will not leave Kinesiology underrepresented until SRA Generals. Besides which, my constituients are the fine men and women of MacKin and if they have a problem with the way I fufill my role or with my views they can express that to me either directly or through the ballot box.

Last edited by arathbon : 12-29-2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Forgot a detail.
Old 12-29-2010 at 09:30 PM   #65
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed that mac students are generally discontented with everything? Sometimes I wonder if our problem isn't that things are so bad, but that Mac students are much more demanding than students at other schools.
Just goes to show how in touch the SRA is with the student population.

Old 12-29-2010 at 09:37 PM   #66
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post
I still honestly don't know what SRA stands for

Apathy regarding everything, LOL

Old 12-29-2010 at 09:54 PM   #67
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
I'm not sure if you even bothered to read my explanation of remarks. If you didn't, please do. If you still have a problem with me, then please by all means tell me exactly what it is.

I do take exception to the SRA being referred to as "out of touch". With the exception of the board of directors, the members of the SRA are all students just like you. We attend classes, we pay our fees, we have the same frustrations you do. The problem is perhaps one of communication. As evidenced by the preceeding post, many students don't even know what the SRA is! Often, before I was elected to my position, I only knew of the decisions made, or of what the SRA had failed to achieve rather than any rational why. On the other hand, since I have become a member I have discovered that 1) The MSU has limits to what it can do and 2) The SRA is relatively constrained even within the bounds of the MSU. Often time the decisions or failures of the SRA have more to do with a lack of authority or power of the MSU or the SRA itself. Perhaps if the SRA communicated the reasoning behind decisions better students would not feel we are out of touch but merely acting within the restraints imposed on us.
Old 12-29-2010 at 11:34 PM   #68
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
I'm not saying we don't have problems with the school. What I'm saying is that Mac students tend to be very acutely aware of where Mac falls short and are far more likely to voice their complaints. This could be the problem with why we suffer in the rankings which heavily weight student feedback.

All I ever hear from Western and Queens students is constant boosterism. I have a hard time believing their schools are THAT good, especially when more objective rankings place us ahead.

Also I'm sorry if demanding came off with a negative connotation. I have always associated with individuals who are smart and assertive enough to know what they want and ask for it. I did not think when writing a hasty post from an airport longue that it might be interpreted otherwise. Perhaps its would be more accurate to say Western and Queen's students are less critical of their own schools then they maybe should be, while Mac students aren't afraid to speak out when they aren't happy with what's going on.

I honestly believe one of Mac's biggest strength is our student body. If any one on here has any issue that they'd like to raise, I'd be more than happy to talk with you even if you are not in Kinesiology. But in answer to the demands for resignation I will not be doing so. I will not leave Kinesiology underrepresented until SRA Generals. Besides which, my constituients are the fine men and women of MacKin and if they have a problem with the way I fufill my role or with my views they can express that to me either directly or through the ballot box.
Well Western has more school spirit. Their homecoming was a lot of fun - with a parade. Meanwhile Mac just had ugly lawn signs that covered campus - pretty low-key.

I still make fun of the UGs at UWO though.

Old 12-29-2010 at 11:47 PM   #69
eullwm
Elite Member

Quote:
I'm not sure if you even bothered to read my explanation of remarks. If you didn't, please do. If you still have a problem with me, then please by all means tell me exactly what it is.

I do take exception to the SRA being referred to as "out of touch". With the exception of the board of directors, the members of the SRA are all students just like you. We attend classes, we pay our fees, we have the same frustrations you do. The problem is perhaps one of communication. As evidenced by the preceeding post, many students don't even know what the SRA is! Often, before I was elected to my position, I only knew of the decisions made, or of what the SRA had failed to achieve rather than any rational why. On the other hand, since I have become a member I have discovered that 1) The MSU has limits to what it can do and 2) The SRA is relatively constrained even within the bounds of the MSU. Often time the decisions or failures of the SRA have more to do with a lack of authority or power of the MSU or the SRA itself. Perhaps if the SRA communicated the reasoning behind decisions better students would not feel we are out of touch but merely acting within the restraints imposed on us.
First and foremost: You're visibly upset.

I wouldn't say it's you whom I have a problem with per se, but rather, the MSU and SRA as so-called bodies that "represent" students. Winning a popularity contest does not immediately dictate that the elected person is actually in touch with the population, regardless of their status of being a student or not. Hell, the MSU and SRA are seemingly irrelevant, considering out of the last two major topics that I've heard proclaimed only one has any significance, and even then it wasn't one that struck me as direly important. The two topics being email and the Coke v Pepsi hullabaloo. Complete waste of time the latter issue was. Irrelevance is also evidenced further by the general apathy of what seems like a majority of students. (Voter turnout numbers would be nice.)

Your initial comment-- as misconstrued as it may or may not be-- shows that there is a disconnect between students and the bodies that are supposed to represent them. Even your clarification continues that trend; it's just a cheap cop out to attempt to save face. Sure, the Queens/Western kids don't talk nearly as poorly of their school as opposed to Mac kids-- maybe that's because they're too busy jerking themselves off over the fact that their school had an incrementally higher admission average, or maybe it's because their school legitimately isn't as bad as this dump.

Constraints or not, the MSU and SRA don't seem to be doing much relevant-- or they're not communicating the relevant work effectively. I'd love to hear if something is being pushed about how shitty Thode library is as a whole, especially with regards to the dangling power outlets and their lack of functionality.

arathbon says thanks to eullwm for this post.
Old 12-29-2010 at 11:59 PM   #70
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
First and foremost: You're visibly upset.

I wouldn't say it's you whom I have a problem with per se, but rather, the MSU and SRA as so-called bodies that "represent" students. Winning a popularity contest does not immediately dictate that the elected person is actually in touch with the population, regardless of their status of being a student or not. Hell, the MSU and SRA are seemingly irrelevant, considering out of the last two major topics that I've heard proclaimed only one has any significance, and even then it wasn't one that struck me as direly important. The two topics being email and the Coke v Pepsi hullabaloo. Complete waste of time the latter issue was. Irrelevance is also evidenced further by the general apathy of what seems like a majority of students. (Voter turnout numbers would be nice.)

Your initial comment-- as misconstrued as it may or may not be-- shows that there is a disconnect between students and the bodies that are supposed to represent them. Even your clarification continues that trend; it's just a cheap cop out to attempt to save face. Sure, the Queens/Western kids don't talk nearly as poorly of their school as opposed to Mac kids-- maybe that's because they're too busy jerking themselves off over the fact that their school had an incrementally higher admission average, or maybe it's because their school legitimately isn't as bad as this dump.

Constraints or not, the MSU and SRA don't seem to be doing much relevant-- or they're not communicating the relevant work effectively. I'd love to hear if something is being pushed about how shitty Thode library is as a whole, especially with regards to the dangling power outlets and their lack of functionality.
Keep going, man - I'm almost there...

I know this is probably a horrendously stupid question, but if you hate it so bad, why not transfer? Or are you just as apathetic as most of us are about the fact that all universities are shitholes and fail in various ways (re: education in general) and by transferring you will only be causing yourself unnecessary headache so close to the end of your degree?

Old 12-30-2010 at 12:25 AM   #71
eullwm
Elite Member

If I transferred, it would have cost me another year in all likelihood. And I think a handful of my first year marks would have prevented a transfer, something about all marks needing to be above a certain threshold. I didn't look particularly deeply into the subject. In short, it would have been too much of a headache, yes.

lawleypop likes this.
Old 12-30-2010 at 11:23 AM   #72
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
LOLOL demanding

"we pay lots of money dont u think we deserve a better course registration system? in fact, we demand it as paying customers and stakeholders"

"lolno"

"oh ok ic sry to disturb u thx neways..."

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-30-2010 at 12:23 PM   #73
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Can someone tell me what SRU and HSR or whatever actually stand for

I seriously don't have a clue

student..something..s omething?

Old 12-30-2010 at 12:27 PM   #74
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
Can someone tell me what SRU and HSR or whatever actually stand for

I seriously don't have a clue

student..something..s omething?
HSR? Hamilton Street Railway? The bus-service.

Old 12-30-2010 at 12:29 PM   #75
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
HSR? Hamilton Street Railway? The bus-service.
No isn't there some kind of student union thing called HSU or HSR or something

ggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrr roudoooooooooooooooon

this is just how little I care